anothergreek10

Quick Survey

1. 69 jumps
2. 0 mals.

It's the day after Thanksgiving. I'm actually at work. Been here 1/2 hour and bored out of my skull. Totals so far are the following as of mrwrong's post #53.

1. 95728 jumps
2. 163 malfunctions (didn't count intentionals)
3. 1:587 ratio for 46 jumpers including my contribution of 63.

College Statistics flashback.... It's important to note that although these are real numbers, it may not be truly representative of the skydiving community because it's not a truly random sample. Average number of jumps is 2081 so it shows there's a tendency for those with higher jump numbers to answer. Only 5 are sub-100 jump wonders.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

well, parachutes do have a tendency to open when they're thrown into a 120 mph wind; it may not always go as planned, so if you're having mals at low numbers, you're probably doing it wrong. HP-canopies tend to be a little bit more iffy with their openings..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

1. 62
2. 1
3. Partial, a student stowed my brakes so wrong that they were knotted up and the left side was way shorter than the right causing me to spin, and i couldnt release the break to stop the spin so at 2500' i chopped it, on my A liscense dive too B|

Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

1 - 6300 total jumps
2- 5 solo reserve rides and close to 15 ish tandem reserve rides
a - knotted stabilizers on a Crossbow
b - horseshoe that turned into a bag lock
c - another knotted stabilizer
d - spinning Diablo
e - spinning Blade 119
f - scared an FXC by spiralling through 1500 feet
g - 1 terminal reserve ride on a tandem because I suffered a hard pull on a drogue
h - cutaway from a bunch of broken lines on tandems
i - cut away from several tension knots on tandems
j - cut away from several "holy" tandem mains

I have also landed 2 round mains that suffered extensive small holes after inversion type malfunctions.
I have landed a bunch of tandems with holes in the bottom skin. Lesson learned: holes in bottom skin are no big deal, but even small holes in the top skin will cause the canopy to fold when you flare!

I landed on tandem with a broken center A line. OUCH!! I will never do that again!
I have landed a few tandems with broken upper steering lines or broken D lines.

Also suffered one tandem terminal reserve opening (while riding on the front as an Examiner) after the TI in training forgot to toss the drogue! Lesson learned, no matter how arrogant a seasoned TI sounds, stick with the factory syllabus.

Three of those mals were because I used to do test jumps for the Canadian and German Armies ... back when I was young and foolish!

Most of the tandem mals were on first generation (F-111 fabric and Dacron lines) tandem mains in the Southern California desert.

566 jumps, 1974 - '80, 3 cutaways. One was for suspension lines knotted together, one for a jammed brakeline that wouldn't clear on a very gusty day. One was a textbook streamer malfunction. Gear was a 7 cell Pioneer Viking Superlite main, packed in a Hanbury rig with 3 ring release, and a Security 26 ft. conical reserve.

446 jumps since 2003, one cutaway. Slammer opening blew my 210 ft Pilot canopy to rags. It actually opened and was stable, but one look told me I wasn't even going to try landing it. Reserve was/is a PD193R (a really SWEET canopy by the way).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

1. 998 jumps
2. 2 cutaways
3. Jump 77 -> Reserve handle became dislodged in freefall. When my parafoil 272 was open, I was splitting slider and reserve opened. I pulled red, and landed quick 180.
Jump 780 -> Spinning Springo 140. When I looked up it had around 10 linetwists and slider above twists. I was spinning on my back. Later I found that outer A/B line was locked in twists, so it looks like there was some snag on this line during deployment :S ?!? I was wearing factory diver and rw suit and I was good stable position.