MooChooser

Ski helmet for skydiving?

Consider the Benny too. Decent looking and inexpensive.

I'd get the upgrade for the new better lining -- a real helmet lining. That's listed at Chuting Star but not at Para Gear, at least when I looked a couple weeks ago.
Not just unenclosed foam, which I've seen crumble along its surface, when in heavy student use.

grandmaster95

It looks like the Benny is a half helmet too. It says it has pockets for an audible device if I choose to go that route as well.

Any reason a half helmet would be preferred over a classic cut? Better protection.

Maybe I missunderstood you, but the Benny half does not have a audible pocket.
You can add one if you make one yourself, and it takes perhaps 30 min for a novice at a sewing machine.

The reason to get the "half" would not be protection, but perhaps if it's hot and you need a cool helmet (temperature cool), or if you want to hear better under canopy.

Iago

***Bumping an old thread. Is protec still the helmet of choice for a basic open face helmet?

if youre looking for protection, id say yes. Its ANSI rated and has good protection. Not many skydiving helmets can say that. They look good and are fine for bumps and mounting cameras but thats about it.

Urban myth. The Protec full cut skate helmet beloved of skydivers never gained any safety standard.

Hellis

***It looks like the Benny is a half helmet too. It says it has pockets for an audible device if I choose to go that route as well.

Any reason a half helmet would be preferred over a classic cut? Better protection.

You can add one if you make one yourself, and it takes perhaps 30 min for a novice at a sewing machine.

The reason to get the "half" would not be protection, but perhaps if it's hot and you need a cool helmet (temperature cool), or if you want to hear better under canopy.

I think our definition of "half helmet" and "classic cut" are throwing us off.

The link below has the one I'm looking at. Still affordable, and some good features. http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/advanced-benny
Turn to the storm and say, "Give your worst, and I shall give my best."

grandmaster95

******It looks like the Benny is a half helmet too. It says it has pockets for an audible device if I choose to go that route as well.

I think our definition of "half helmet" and "classic cut" are throwing us off.

The link below has the one I'm looking at. Still affordable, and some good features. http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/advanced-benny

Ok.
I thought you meant this one when you said half.
http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/half-shell-benny-3454