-ftp-

Low cutaway, followed by a LOW reserve pull

Damn. Would love to hear what caused the low reserve pull. Was the jumper waiting for stability?

I also really don't understand fighting the spinning line twists for that long, to the point of un-stowing the toggles and giving them a whirl! On all three of my chops from diving line twists I had a pretty good idea that it wasn't going to be a great idea to fight it for more than a few moments.

I jump in the freaking woods, and yes it sucks having to search for your gear, but it sucks more being dead. By comparison the outs in this video looked fantastic. I doubt it would be hard to find the main and the free bag there.

Chop it, pull reserve, chase it (but don't catch it). Stop wasting time fucking around! :|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Oh My another one of these! hope this will again wake a few people up. people dont seem to realise how much alti they burn through a spinner like that. (looks like a velocity to me). also he seemed to spend a lot of time getting stable after the cutaway. if he went in the report would have say, a RSL (or Skyhook) or an aad could have prevented this fatality.

glad he walked away from that.

DougH

Chop it, pull reserve, chase it if it's heading somewhere you can safely land (but don't catch it). Stop wasting time fucking around! :|

FIFY. Sorry, I know you know that, but I hate to see people getting hurt b/c they follow their gear somewhere sketchy. I'd rather be walking around that bumpy, rocky, hole-ridden field looking for my shit later than pulling my broken ankle out of one of those holes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

DougH

Damn. Would love to hear what caused the low reserve pull. Was the jumper waiting for stability?

It's absolutely inexcusable for any jumper under a canopy like that to need that long to get stable.
cavete terrae.

grue

***Damn. Would love to hear what caused the low reserve pull. Was the jumper waiting for stability?

It's absolutely inexcusable for any jumper under a canopy like that to need that long to get stable.

What even more inexcusable _for any jumper_ is trying to get stable for that long.
Remster

Remster

******Damn. Would love to hear what caused the low reserve pull. Was the jumper waiting for stability?

What even more inexcusable _for any jumper_ is trying to get stable for that long.

I'll accept it as a possibility for absolute newbies.
cavete terrae.

yoink

I'm not aware of any emergency procedure taught that goes:

Peel
Pull
Get Stable
Punch
Arch.

:|

Yet that's used as the exact EP and justification for not using RSLs by all kinds of jumpers, most of whom should probably be playing the odds and using one.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

grue

*********Damn. Would love to hear what caused the low reserve pull. Was the jumper waiting for stability?

No.
Remster

yoink

I'm not aware of any emergency procedure taught that goes:

Peel
Pull
Get Stable
Punch
Arch.

:|

Things I am talking about: Getting stable in general

Things I am not talking about: Everything else.
cavete terrae.

Remster

No.

You've never seen (video of) a first-jump AFF student tumbling out of the sky?

edit: Or are you talking about "trying to get stable before saying fuck it and deploying"? Your wording was a bit vague.
cavete terrae.

In regards to an RSL, The first rebuttal you'll here from a person that owns a x-braced is "I want to get stable after a cutaway from a spinning line twist." My rebuttal now will be, did you see this video? And second, no one stuck a gun to your head and made you buy the Velo. When I get line twists on my semi-elliptical pilot, fly's straight. Choices choices choices.

grue

No.

edit: Or are you talking about "trying to get stable before saying fuck it and deploying"? Your wording was a bit vague.

It's not pull time for a AFF student when they are tumbling over after exit at 12k.

After you cutaway, you pull reserve. Period. Regardless if you an "absolute newbie" or a guy jumping a crossbraced.
Remster

BKW82

When I get line twists on my semi-elliptical pilot, fly's straight. Choices choices choices.

I've had a semi-elliptical put me on my back in line twists before, only loaded at about 1.3 as well. It's not as common, but it does happen.
cavete terrae.

grue

Things I am talking about: Getting stable in general

Things I am not talking about: Everything else.

Why? We're watching a video and discussing getting stable after a cutaway....

Being stable through freefall has nothing to do with any of this. :S

Remster

No.

It's not pull time for a AFF student when they are tumbling over after exit fro 12k.

After you cutaway, you pull reserve. Period. Regardless if you an "absolute newbie" or a guy jumping a crossbraced.

Ok, you've missed my point as well.

I am NOT talking about emergency procedures in general. My comment was that someone with enough jumps to be under a velocity should have the freefall skills to be stable much, MUCH faster than that after a cutaway.
cavete terrae.

yoink

Why? We're watching a video and discussing getting stable after a cutaway....

Being stable through freefall has nothing to do with any of this. :S

Oh for christ's sake.

Let me expound on this some more since either I'm not being clear or people aren't getting it.

The person in the video takes a very long time to get stable after becoming unstable (in this case, from a cutaway).

The person in the video is jumping a velocity.

A person jumping a velocity should have "many jumps".

A person with "many jumps" should have sufficient skill so that if he is unstable in freefall, he can become stable very quickly.

A person on his first jump, if he found himself in a situation where he was unstable in freefall for whatever hypothetical reason you care to have, might be expected to take a similar amount of time to get stable, which makes a certain level of sense.

Has this been sufficiently explained so that we're all clear on the point I was trying to make?
cavete terrae.

grue

*** When I get line twists on my semi-elliptical pilot, fly's straight. Choices choices choices.

I've had a semi-elliptical put me on my back in line twists before, only loaded at about 1.3 as well. It's not as common, but it does happen.

Agreed... uncommon. Loaded x-braced canopy? Pretty much guaranteed.

Remster

You're commenting on a video of a jumper having bad day below 2k. If you want to have a discussion about stability drills on exit, start your own thread.

You don't think it's remotely cogent to the discussion that an experienced jumper turned a bad decision (chopping low and not immediately opening his reserve) into a near fatality because he didn't have the air skills to follow through on his decision?

Plenty of people out there hurf and blurf about how they don't have an RSL because they need to get stable after a chop. If their freefall skills are so shitty that they need 10 seconds to get stable, they need to take that into consideration when planning out their decision altitudes.

I'm hammering on this point for a reason, not just for fun.
cavete terrae.

Remster

again: YOU SHOULD NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE STABLE TO PULL RESERVE! RSL or not. Mad skillz or not.

I agree.

However, education beats edict I would think, so why don't we use this video as a way to EDUCATE people who use the "get stable" mentality?
cavete terrae.