shibu

Best Way to Check Weather

M home DZ is ~80 mi away. I have 6 other DZs all approx. 100mi away in spread out over NY, NJ & PA.

What is the best way to check the weather at all of the DZs so I can decide where I want to jump if he weather is sketchy at my home DZ?

Weather Underground? Weather.GOV?

Is there a way to program in all 5 DZs so I can check them all out at a glance?

I don't know if its the best way, but I use the Weather Channel site (http://www.weather.com/) Once you enter a location, click on the "hourly" forecast and look at precipitation chances and ground wind predictions. Since you have options, compare to the forecast at the other DZs.

Here's the "hourly" page for Cedartown GA, close to where the Farm is located. You get about 36 hours of "hourly" forecast. Sometimes it changes greatly in a few hours, so try to re-check just before you depart.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/Cedartown+GA+USGA0103:1:US

I also look at the radar to see what is rolling into the area. A site I use that I like is this one:
http://www.wsbtv.com/s/weather/interactive-radar/
Click on the "RADAR & STORMS" tab above the initially blank display area to get the radar view. Then put the thing in motion to see where stuff is heading. (you may have to re-center the view to be over your place).

I use the app AeroWeather. It gives me all the real time details on what is going around my DZ. It shows, wind speed / wind direction / visibility / clouds / temp and a few other fun details. (see attachment)

I pair that with weather underground and it gives me a pretty good idea what is going on now and in the next few hours.

Unfortunately I haven't found one toe be accurate over 3+days out. Weather underground and accuweather used to be my go to for the days out, but they have all failed me at some point or another.

The AWOS at your airport is the most accurate and best for current conditions (if your airport has AWOS).

There are various aviation sites which give relevant forecasts (including winds and clouds) which I think are better than the generic weather.gov or weather underground.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

AVIATION WEATHER

Hands-down, THE most comprehensive, single-resource (compiled from several) and RELEVANT (includes things all these OTHER services mentioned do NOT - like cloud ceilings, visibility, etc.) page, IMO available.

You will need to know or determine which reporting station codes are most relevant to your selected/desired DZ (for instance, for Chambersburg, PA - I typically 1st check Martinsburg, WV actually, followed by ALSO consulting Hagerstown, MD) - then, simply GO FROM THERE!

Enjoy.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Scrumpot

AVIATION WEATHER

Hands-down, THE most comprehensive, single-resource (compiled from several) and RELEVANT (includes things all these OTHER services mentioned do NOT - like cloud ceilings, visibility, etc.) page, IMO available.

You will need to know or determine which reporting station codes are most relevant to your selected/desired DZ (for instance, for Chambersburg, PA - I typically 1st check Martinsburg, WV actually, followed by ALSO consulting Hagerstown, MD) - then, simply GO FROM THERE!

Enjoy.

Where I've jumped, I've generally found the wind and ceiling forecasts to be pretty inaccurate. I usually just call and ask instead, and end up spending a lot of time at the DZ moaning about the weather.
Brian