SFBayArea

Need an advice for the full face helmet

Guys, I want to start getting my own equipment as I am finishing up AFF (one more jump left). I want to start my initial purchase with helmet as most of the helmets at the DZ have seen better and cleaner days :-).
I was wondering if you can give me some points on a full face helmet. I don't want to deal with the goggles, so been thinking of getting full face helmet. How do I know which one is good for me? Where can I get one? Is there any local shops in San Francisco Bay Area where I can try few on my head?

Thank you.

Wait until you go to a boogie. The gear manufacturers usually bring out a variety for jumpers to demo. But please remember, never change more than one thing at a time! My first full face jump resulted in a fogged up visor and I had a spinner on top of it. Don't give yourself too much to think about.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

One thing you should be aware of, is that many full-face helmets can decrease your visibility of your handles. That may be an issue, and I advise you to chat with your AFF instructor about that.

That said, the only way to figure out what helmet is best for you, is to try them. I personally love my FreeZR, but there are many other helmets available. Try them, and see which one you like most.

Not many full face helmets restrict vision if you have a proper fitting helmet. I use a z1. It fits me well. It may or may not fit you. just depends on what is comfortable for you. Having a full face helmet saved me from testing my aad after a mid-air collision. the collision actually bent my visor and I had to replace it. I could only imagine what could have happened if I was wearing an open face. I was knocked senseless for a couple seconds but was able to reach back and pull.

So yes go full face, but make sure you get a proper fit. Remember more expensive helmets don't mean more protection/quality. iv seen a bonehead composite helmet crack after someone hit the runway on a night jump (no flare).
talk to a rigger, aff/tandem instructors, your dzo, and try on others helmets if you can (if your unable to make it to a boogie soon) and ask questions. if you can get into a cutaway harness with the helmet your thinking of buying to get the feel of it. like I said before the helmet should not restrict your vision if fitted properly.

Try on several. The Cookie is a great helmet, just doesn't feel right on me. Likewise the Z1. People have different-shaped heads and faces, and the helmets differ, too.

Ask friends if you can try theirs on while you're on the ground. Go to a boogie where there are demos, or if you go to SoCal and go to Perris, Square1 has a bunch of demo helmets in just about all sizes.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How can I try these helmets? There are no local stores available that I know off. I feel kind of weird asking jumpers to try their helmets on.

Is there a preferred vendor that you guys use to purchase gear with discount and ability to exchange?

I've found square1 site. And couple of helmets there looks like have good visibility.
What do you think about these helmets:
1. Phantom X
2. Oxygn
3. Mamba

SFBayArea

How can I try these helmets? There are no local stores available that I know off. I feel kind of weird asking jumpers to try their helmets on.

Is there a preferred vendor that you guys use to purchase gear with discount and ability to exchange?

I've found square1 site. And couple of helmets there looks like have good visibility.
1. Phantom X
2. Oxygn
3. Mamba

Define "local" to the Bay Area. I'd head up to Skydance, where they have Action Air Parachutes a gear store.

I would not recommend any of the helmets you listed, but rather the Cookie G3. Great visibility and airflow, and hinges which are near bullet proof.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

SFBayArea

1. Phantom X
2. Oxygn
3. Mamba

I used to jump a Mamba, but now use a Cookie G3. I think that the visibility on the G3 is a lot better.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I'm going to parrot what many others have said and suggest that you go with a Cookie G3; great helmet overall. I'm very pleased with it!:)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

The G3 didn't fit my head well. I got the Phantom and I love it. I like the fact that you don't need tools to take the lens off. Square 1 also has a new full-face coming out. I've seen it, and some of the changes I remember are: A different profile in the front so your mouth is visible, and external mounting (on either side) for an audible.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

diablopilot

***How can I try these helmets? There are no local stores available that I know off. I feel kind of weird asking jumpers to try their helmets on.

1. Phantom X
2. Oxygn
3. Mamba

Define "local" to the Bay Area. I'd head up to Skydance, where they have Action Air Parachutes a gear store.

I would not recommend any of the helmets you listed, but rather the Cookie G3. Great visibility and airflow, and hinges which are near bullet proof.

Ditto. I owned a Z1 and didn't like it at all. Fogged up quite bad on me while jumping in FL at the time I had it. Been jumping an open face ever since and just finally broke down and got the G3 for the tunnel, but I love it so much I've been wearing it on all my jumps recently! Zero fogging issues and I love the fit. My favorite is that I can put my glasses on underneath and not have to wear my contacts.

I would get to a gear store and try a few on. I waited to get my cookie until I could do that and finally make the decision. The guy at this particular gear store in FL where I was making my purchase tried REALLY hard to sell me on the Phantom, but I've heard some good and bad stuff about that helmet and just felt better going with the cookie, which I've heard nothing but great things about.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

diablopilot

***How can I try these helmets? There are no local stores available that I know off. I feel kind of weird asking jumpers to try their helmets on.

1. Phantom X
2. Oxygn
3. Mamba

Local is any shop in Bay Area within 70 miles radius.

I am not sure what ActionAir has in stock now, but I know they didn't have the G3 last year when I was looking for mine, so I just got it at Sebastian when I was out there on vacay a few months later. I was able to try on all of the fullfaces you are looking in to.

Call skydance and see what they have in stock. If not, I wouldn't feel bad about asking a few fellow jumpers or friends to take a look at their helmet and try it on. I'm glad I did for the G3 because I needed a L, and I never take a L and definitely would have ordered a Med had I just gotten it off the website.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

SFBayArea

Guys, I want to start getting my own equipment as I am finishing up AFF (one more jump left). I want to start my initial purchase with helmet as most of the helmets at the DZ have seen better and cleaner days :-).
I was wondering if you can give me some points on a full face helmet. I don't want to deal with the goggles, so been thinking of getting full face helmet. How do I know which one is good for me? Where can I get one? Is there any local shops in San Francisco Bay Area where I can try few on my head?

Thank you.

To be honest, i have a full face helmet because it looks hella cool (hella! LOL!! get it?) and because all the cool kids where em.
So grab yourself a full face helmet

LyraM45

I am not sure what ActionAir has in stock now, but I know they didn't have the G3 last year when I was looking for mine, so I just got it at Sebastian when I was out there on vacay a few months later. I was able to try on all of the fullfaces you are looking in to.

Call skydance and see what they have in stock. If not, I wouldn't feel bad about asking a few fellow jumpers or friends to take a look at their helmet and try it on. I'm glad I did for the G3 because I needed a L, and I never take a L and definitely would have ordered a Med had I just gotten it off the website.

Where is Skydance? I can't find them.

I called couple of places who sell G3 and none of them have them in stock. Wow.
Anybody been purchasing this helmet recently and can suggest a supplier who has these helmets in stock? I am looking for a mate black.

SFBayArea

***I am not sure what ActionAir has in stock now, but I know they didn't have the G3 last year when I was looking for mine, so I just got it at Sebastian when I was out there on vacay a few months later. I was able to try on all of the fullfaces you are looking in to.

Your google-fu is weak. http://bit.ly/14x2BHg
Remster

Remster

******I am not sure what ActionAir has in stock now, but I know they didn't have the G3 last year when I was looking for mine, so I just got it at Sebastian when I was out there on vacay a few months later. I was able to try on all of the fullfaces you are looking in to.

I found the same guys, however, I don't see on the site that they sell any equipment?

SFBayArea

*********I am not sure what ActionAir has in stock now, but I know they didn't have the G3 last year when I was looking for mine, so I just got it at Sebastian when I was out there on vacay a few months later. I was able to try on all of the fullfaces you are looking in to.

I found the same guys, however, I don't see on the site that they sell any equipment?

I found Actionair on that site it in 2 clicks. Do you want us to order it for you? :P
Remster