GooniesKid

I propose a...

...type of Lo-Jack system for rigs.
There must be a way to fit a small/lightweight Lo-Jack system on a rig right?
All these recent reports of stolen rigs...

I bet the most likely culprits of stolen rigs are the 1 time visitors and NOT the veteran weekend warriors.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Goonies,

AND, you know what's cool? That chick in the video..she has nice legs don't cha think?

Would you please just go get laid?

:P

JerryBaumchen

Aww c'mon Jer..i mean, i couldn't help but notice those legs.

Speaking of Goonies, i see you live up in Oregon. Do you know where Astoria is? Purely coincidence but that is my hometown bro!

GooniesKid

...type of Lo-Jack system for rigs.
There must be a way to fit a small/lightweight Lo-Jack system on a rig right?
All these recent reports of stolen rigs...

I bet the most likely culprits of stolen rigs are the 1 time visitors and NOT the veteran weekend warriors.

You could almost probably get away with stashing a small smartphone that would have all the components you'd need, with battery life being the main problem. Ignoring that, I wonder if you could have a rigger sew an unobtrusive pocket onto the rig somewhere where it wouldn't be too noticeable and wouldn't interfere with the normal operation of the rig. Making sure the thing's actually in the rig and fully charged if it's ever actually stolen might not be feasible either.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

NorrinRadd

It seems to me the bad karma from using a rig you stole would be a risky thing to deal with while using it. If you believe in that sort of thing.

Yes, but if you find it at a pawn shop or in a dumpster, then you have a chance to get it back without a confrontation. I doubt the local police will show up when you call them, way too low a priority, but if its a known problem spot, them have "probable cause" to enter the premise may be what they are looking for.

Also, if it was sewn in the label of the main canopy, you could use it to retrieve it when you cut away and it would be handy to recharge. Most rigs have places to stow a pull-up cord, so stuffing it in there shouldn't be a problem.

The 50 to 150 ft range may be an issue for looking for a lost main but its better than nothing....

Jump more, post less!

rwieder

I think a small GPS tracking device hidden in the reserve pack tray would be a nice improv. What do you think?

Best-
Richard

I agree, but I wonder, how much such a device, with a battery life long enough to be useful, would cost? :o

Having never priced such spy devices, myself, I wonder at which point it would be better to insure the rig and let them worry about it. B|

I mean, even if you could track down a stolen rig, it might cost more to pursue it than it's worth. [:/]

And, then there is the added cost of insuring the tracking device, too! :D:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Goonie,

Why not think inside the box....the AAD box. Maybe that will be the next upgrade, a small satelite/GPS tracking unit built into the AAD_3.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I'm with Lisa on this one - if you're looking at cost-effectiveness then simply insuring your rig and all components under your home policy is the best option.

I've just insured mine and the total cost comes out to an extra EUR150 per year for all risk worldwide cover. That means, damage, theft, misplacement etc. (as long as you state it was unintentional :))

With the total cost of a rig upwards of EUR 5.000 that gives me complete peace of mind for way longer than the useful life of the individual components.

Just not worth it. Add up the value of all rigs stolen every year, then add up the cost (purchase, installation, maintenance, new batteries) of equipping every rig in the US with one of these. You'd be far better off just sending $1 to someone to have a fund to replace stolen gear.

billvon

Just not worth it. Add up the value of all rigs stolen every year, then add up the cost (purchase, installation, maintenance, new batteries) of equipping every rig in the US with one of these. You'd be far better off just sending $1 to someone to have a fund to replace stolen gear.

So you say...until it's YOUR rig that gets stolen :P

potatoman

Goonie,

Why not think inside the box....the AAD box. Maybe that will be the next upgrade, a small satelite/GPS tracking unit built into the AAD_3.

i like that idea...i'm changing my mind, how about have an alarm go off it is out of range.

For example, i wear a small transmitter and the rig has a small receiver integrated with the AAD box (just as potatoeman mentioned). So within a small range, the alarm doesn't go off.
But if the transmitter and receiver reach a certain range (let's just say 10 ft away) THEN the alarm goes off. AND, on the small transmitter you wear there's an on/off switch so you can go to the bathroom, witch acts like an override so you can turn off the alarm system...how's that sound?

>So you say...until it's YOUR rig that gets stolen

I have had rigs (actually a rig) stolen. I figure after 22 years in the sport I am still coming out ahead not having to buy Lojacks and replace batteries.

But if you want one, nothing wrong with getting one.

rwieder

I think a small GPS tracking device hidden in the reserve pack tray would be a nice improv. What do you think?

Best-
Richard

i think that's a good idea...a GPS or some alarm system (see my follow up to Silver Surfer).
Perhaps something that's small that can be integrated with an AAD (just an idea)

By the way did you receive my PM? We're the same man! I'm a former genuine Roughneck! Worked for big Hal (Haliburton)..stationed out in Brighton, Rock Springs, and Bako (Bakersfield) back in the day B|

GooniesKid

***Goonie,

i like that idea...i'm changing my mind, how about have an alarm go off it is out of range.

For example, i wear a small transmitter and the rig has a small receiver integrated with the AAD box (just as potatoeman mentioned). So within a small range, the alarm doesn't go off.
But if the transmitter and receiver reach a certain range (let's just say 10 ft away) THEN the alarm goes off. AND, on the small transmitter you wear there's an on/off switch so you can go to the bathroom, witch acts like an override so you can turn off the alarm system...how's that sound?

This, I want to see! The first time you forget to turn it off----

You're sitting on the pot, someone takes your rig and the alarm in your decoder ring rings!!!!!, You stumble out of the john with your pants around your ankles. You look around you, and all you see is......

The entire DZ with their phones out, snapping away!

I could not resist! :$
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

At first the idea was like B|...
Then i thought on/off switch :|...
And then this prank made me 2nd think :|...

Ok ok!
It's all fun and games until GooniesKid gets the butt end of a prank, ya'll.

Conceivable I can see this happening and i don't need my little wang all over the internet :$

Well played OW6, well played :)

The investment to develop a system is simply not worth it.

I've been toying with developing a proprietary system to recover main parachutes for a couple of years now (it's not technically difficult). Coupling a GPS device to a very low power transceiver is a piece of cake, and once you are off mobile phone technology a 2-3 year battery life from a small lithium is easy. Range would be about half a mile on a typical dz without any real problems.

The problem is that to make it worth doing in the first place, it is going to cost circa $100 per setup and I don't see people bothering to spend that money in enough volume to make it viable, even as an after work hobby. The end result is that I rather earn my pocket money packing:)

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I was just cruising Best Buy, as I was shopping for a new Lap Top. As an option they do offer a LoJack system. See the info on the pasted text below:

Computrace LoJack for Laptops, One Year

Software but must be activated by using the Activation Card that ships with your notebook when choosing this option. When your computer is missing or stolen, you can feel powerless. But you don't have to. LoJack(R) for Laptops by Absolute(R) Software is a theft recovery service with remote data and device protection. With LoJack for Laptops, if your computer is missing or stolen our dedicated Theft Recovery Team works in parallel with local law enforcement to track it down and return it to you. Additional features include: device freeze, data delete and geolocation. DISCLAIMERS: System Requirements - Windows(R) Vista(TM) or XP(R), Internet Connection and Internet Explorer(R) 6 or above. Certain conditions apply. For more details visit: www.lojackforlaptops.com.

FREE Upgrade from 1 year ($70 Value), Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Four Years

Software but must be activated by using the Activation Card that ships with your notebook when choosing this option. When your computer is missing or stolen, you can feel powerless. But you don't have to. LoJack(R) for Laptops by Absolute(R) Software is a theft recovery service with remote data and device protection. With LoJack for Laptops, if your computer is missing or stolen our dedicated Theft Recovery Team works in parallel with local law enforcement to track it down and return it to you. Additional features include: device freeze, data delete and geolocation. DISCLAIMERS: System Requirements - Windows(R) Vista(TM) or XP(R), Internet Connection and Internet Explorer(R) 6 or above. Certain conditions apply. For more details visit: www.lojackforlaptops.com.

Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Two Years

Computrace LoJack for Laptops, 3 User 1 Year

I don't see why we can't incorporate this system, or one like it in our sky diving rigs. I believe with all of the very intelligent minds we have here we can stop these thieving "people" in their tracks. I hate thieves, well I don't hate them. Hate the sin, Love the sinner!

Best-
Richard