DcloudZ

Your last jump

I'm expecting some negative comments to arise from this question but my curiousity needs to be satisfied.

If you knew for sure that your next jump would be your last (i.e. fatal accident) would you jump? And if so, when?

Purely hypothetical based on a lot of thinking after hearing the following quote from Pablito Perrazoli "If this was the last one, is this the right one? And the answer is always yes."

Curious to hear some opinions!
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

No. I have a lot more in my life to live for than just jumping.

Having said that, I am aware that next one might be my last.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

If you knew for sure that your next jump would be your last (i.e. fatal accident) would you jump? And if so, when?

No. There is life off of a DZ. I am not suicidal, and that is what your request would require.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

DcloudZ

I'm expecting some negative comments to arise from this question but my curiousity needs to be satisfied.

Purely hypothetical based on a lot of thinking after hearing the following quote from Pablito Perrazoli "If this was the last one, is this the right one? And the answer is always yes."

Curious to hear some opinions!

I am not sure why I am even responding but your question is "would you commit suicide to make one more skydive" and the answer is no.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Ooh, and if you didn't, would the grim reaper kill all your friends in horrific ways like that one movie? :P

In general if I was absolutely certain of the information source, probably not. Skydiving is a risk/reward thing for me. I go up on every jump knowing it could be my last but that the odds of it actually being my last are pretty low. If I was absolutely certain it was going to be my last, 100% risk really isn't worth the reward.

If I had a choice between that and ass cancer in the same timeframe, I'd go for the one that involves less things going up or coming out of my ass. But then, most of my decisions are made based on which one involves the least number of things going up or coming out of my ass.

If some crazy old gypsy lady told me my next jump was absolutely going to kill me, I'd do it anyway. I don't take skydiving advice or stock tips from crazy old gypsy ladies. Or my mother (Who usually thinks my next jump is going to be my last one.)

If that was the only way I could die, that would be a lot more fun! I'd go into the "illusion" business, make a mint on submersion-style tricks, merrily outlive friends and enemies alike, reminisce about the "good old days" and have a painting of a "depraved me" done so I could hang it in my basement, right next to my rig!

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

In my opinion, a much more interesting question is:

If you knew for sure that you would die in your next 100 jumps (i.e., if you made 100 more jumps, you would surely die, but you have no idea whether you'll die on jump 1, jump 100, or any jump in between), how many more would you make before stopping?

And an even more interesting question (to me) is: what if you made that number greater (you'll die in the next 500 jumps) or lesser (you'll die in the next 50 jumps)? How does your answer change?

It's funny you bring this up. I may have just jumped my last jump on Saturday. 5/13/12 I crashed hard taking a tandem, breaking my back and spending almost 3 weeks in the hospital/rehab. (Dust devil caught me as I was trying to land. Look it up in the incidents, I posted last year about it)
Fast forward to 6/13/13. I did my first jump since my accident landed my upsized canopy and all went well. Forward again to this Saturday. Fun little 2 way with my wife, opened up and flew into the pattern. 800ft over the runway and it started getting bouncy. The lower I got the more turbulent it got. I landed with no forward drive under my 150, getting what felt like being tossed around, just like before.
I was trembling as I picked up my gear.
I'm honestly not sure if I can handle the fear of possibly crashing again. Time will tell and I have lots of thinking to do.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

I love that quote. Its kind of what made me make up my mind to keep jumping. I read it as this. Out of all the jumps and you die on this one. (will you be content with yourself) with your life. Will you be happy going out that way. Will you truly be content with how you lived your life and it all be okay. It doesnt even have to relate to skydiving. So yes. From what i used to do back in the day. A lot of hardcore drugs and shit. That would be a bummer to one day just flop and OD. But going out this way i would be a lot more content and accepting cause i turned things around and also i would rather die that way than from an OD...

Ron

No. There is life off of a DZ. I am not suicidal, and that is what your request would require.

This.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

JohnMitchell

You gotta be $hittin' me. :D

Hell no! That's like asking "Would you go skydiving without a parachute?"
:D

I've seen THAT stunt done a couple times. Honestly doesn't look a lot more difficult than a swoop and dock. A VERY high stakes swoop and dock. Not something I'd want to attempt at 150 jumps. Ask me again at 1500.

I like to say that I was introduced to the door mockup as a student and didn't believe them when they told me getting out on the ground was just the same as getting out at altitude. Then I found myself repeating that line to a student. Which naturally got me thinking, well if that's true, then hypothetically, I should be completely fine with climbing out the door at altitude with a parachute and then climbing back in. Right?

I doubt anyone's going to give me the opportunity to test this theory, so I'll just play my cards close to the vest on how I think the results of that little test would turn out.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

DcloudZ

Yes, when I turn 65. Probably a very nice scenic base, with pure ground rush, and no rig. Would be sad though not to jump untill then.:)
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

Yes, when I turn 65. Probably a very nice scenic base, with pure ground rush, and no rig. Would be sad though not to jump untill then.:)
So you think there is nothing worht living when you tunr 65?

darkwing

A more interesting, realistic, and common situation would be to ask people what their last jump would be if the were retiring from the sport. I find myself contemplating that.

In that case, I'd get together as many CReW-dogs as possible, to build as big a formation as possible. End on a high note, and make the biggest formation I've ever flown in. It actually won't be that difficult, since my current biggest is a 4-way (yeah, I'm still one of those adorable little CReW-puppies)

BS Question, meritless and calls for speculation.

Regarding his question, it's pointless. We all know the next jump may be the last. So I'm calling BS on this ignorant question. I mean if you knew the next time you crossed the street, would you do it, or would you stay home the rest of your life? And besides, if you died sky diving, "Suicide" would be the cause of death. I had my life insurance policy canceled because of this.

Best-
Richard

rwieder

BS Question, meritless and calls for speculation.

***No. There is life off of a DZ. I am not suicidal, and that is what your request would require.

Regarding his question, it's pointless. We all know the next jump may be the last. So I'm calling BS on this ignorant question. I mean if you knew the next time you crossed the street, would you do it, or would you stay home the rest of your life? And besides, if you died sky diving, "Suicide" would be the cause of death. I had my life insurance policy canceled because of this.

Best-
Richard

Talk about ignorant... go preach somewhere else.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

potatoman

This would be similar to my answer:)

Your from Canada ya freaking canook, you go preach some where else. I don't appreciate your claims that these type of incidents are prevelant in the USA. Well, considering your climate in cnookada, I can see where it could happen more here than where you live. Talk about ignorant...go preach somewhere else Ya Jerk.

rwieder

Your from Canada ya freaking canook, you go preach some where else. I don't appreciate your claims that these type of incidents are prevelant in the USA. Well, considering your climate in cnookada, I can see where it could happen more here than where you live. Talk about ignorant...go preach somewhere else Ya Jerk.

You're totally incoherent in your personal attack, kind of hard to follow. I'm not sure which incidents you're referring to...?

Are you serious?... Film “Why we jump” is addressing skydiving as a lifestyle. I believe that you are taking Pablito’s words out of context giving them meaning that they were never intended to have. Also, high-risk behavior have been heavily research and determined to be more linked to the quest for so called “positive transformation” than suicide.

So, could you clarify the point that you are making because skydivers are simply not suicidal …..:S

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

I've seen THAT stunt done a couple times. Honestly doesn't look a lot more difficult than a swoop and dock. A VERY high stakes swoop and dock.

Yep, I've said for the right $$ I'd do it. Not sure what the amount is, but it looks like you could make it 100%. Several people have done it and I don't think anyone has died trying.

Which naturally got me thinking, well if that's true, then hypothetically, I should be completely fine with climbing out the door at altitude without a parachute and then climbing back in. Right?

You meant without, right? I did that years ago on a C182. You get pretty comfortable with all that strut and step and stuff. What could go wrong?:S:D