littleskykitten

Which AFF program would you pick?

Greetings fellow skydivers,

2 different AFF programs with different curriculum, which one would you pick and why? Is there a difference?

I know a well-trained skydiver is a safe skydiver and that my training is what will keep me safe up there.
Any input would help.

Training Program up North:
1st Stage: Tandem Progression Jump # Description Altitude Price
Continued Training 2 Tandem with Rip Cord Pull 10,000ft $200.00
Continued Training 3 Tandem with Rip Cord Pull 10,000ft $200.00
Total cost for 1st Stage       $400.00

2nd Stage: Static Line Transition Jump # Description Altitude Price
First Jump Class N/A Basic Skydiving course (4hrs) N/A $40.00
Static Line 4 Static Line w/ARCH 3,000ft $90.00
Static Line 5 Static Line w/PRP 3,000ft $130.00
Jump # 5 includes purchase of goggles and gloves.
Total cost for 2nd Stage       $260.00
Students should do their last Static Line Rip Corp Pull and first Clear & Pull jumps on the same day.

3rd Stage: Student Status Jump # Description Altitude Price
Supervised Freefall 6 5 Second Freefall 4,000ft $90.00
Supervised Freefall 7 10 Second Freefall 4,500ft $90.00
Supervised Freefall 8 10 Second Freefall 4,500ft $90.00
Supervised Freefall 9 10 Second Freefall 4,500ft $90.00
Supervised Freefall 10 15 Second Freefall 6,000ft $90.00
Supervised Freefall 11 15 Second Freefall 6,000ft $90.00
Supervised Freefall 12 45-60 Second Freefall 10,000-13,000ft $110.00
Supervised Freefall 13 45-60 Second Freefall 10,000-13,000ft $110.00
*Supervised Freefall 14 45-60 Second Freefall 10,000-13,000ft $110.00
Total cost for 3rd Stage       $870.00
*Clear for solo status after completing packing class and becoming a USPA Member.

4th Stage: Solo Status
**It is not necessary to formally schedule in Stage 4** Jump # Description Altitude Price
Solo 15 Solo - Center Turns 8,000-13,000ft $60.00
Solo 16 Solo - Back Loops 8,000-13,000ft $60.00
Solo 17 Solo - Front Loops 8,000-13,000ft $60.00
Solo 18 Solo - Barrel Rolls 8,000-13,000ft $60.00
Solo 19 Solo - Simulated Check-out Dive 8,000-13,000ft $60.00
Solo 20 Solo - Simulated Check-out Dive 8,000-13,000ft $60.00
Total cost for 4th Stage       $360.00

5th Stage: Relative Work Jump # Description Altitude Price
Check Out Dive 21 Check Out Dive 10,000-13,000ft $100.00
*Relative Work 22 Basic Student Flying Skills 10,000-13,000ft $100.00
*Relative Work 23 Basic Student Flying Skills 10,000-13,000ft $100.00
*Relative Work 24 Basic Student Flying Skills 10,000-13,000ft $100.00
*Relative Work 25 Basic Student Flying Skills 10,000-13,000ft $100.00
Total cost for 5th Stage       $500.00
*Techniques used for Stability and Maneuvering in Relation to Others

Total cost for 25 Jump Student Program       $2,390.00

Training Program down South:

Ultimate AFF First Jump Course
The Accelerated Freefall program is made up of eight levels and taking the Ultimate AFF First jump course is the first step in your progression. Includes state of the art indoor skydiving simulator into their first jump course. The ground training, which typically takes between 4 and 6 hours includes two flights in our indoor skydiving simulator where you will practice your freefall body position and learn hand signals used to communicate during freefall. The ground school also includes lessons on the parachuting equipment you’ll be using, aircraft procedures, emergency procedures, canopy control and landing techniques. Following the class you will jump from 12,500ft wearing your own parachute system. Two instructors will accompany you on your jump, flying by your side to assist you if necessary during nearly one minute of freefall. You deploy your parachute at 5,000ft and then steer and land
your own parachute with radio assistance.

During AFF levels two and three, you will learn new freefall maneuvers with two instructors accompanying you. During AFF levels four through eight, you will learn more advanced freefall skills with one instructor along side you in freefall. Once you have completed all eight levels you will graduate and earn your United States Parachute Association AFF certification!
Advanced Relative Work

Once you’ve graduated from AFF (in as few as eight jumps) you’ll start working towards obtaining your ‘A’ license. With your ‘A’ license you’ll be able to jump with other licensed skydivers!

To obtain your ‘A’ license you’ll need a minimum of 25 jumps. Other requirements for an ‘A’ license include taking a packing class, a low altitude jump, five coach jumps including a ‘check out’ jump and completion of the ‘A’ license proficiency card.

During your coach jumps you will work on your flying skills relative to another skydiver. These skills include stable exit techniques, forward and backward movement, fast and slow fall, swooping to another skydiver, tracking and backloops.

Jumps Cost:
AFF Level 1 $ 349
AFF Level 2 $ 239
AFF Level 3 $ 239
AFF Level 4 $ 219
AFF Level 5 $ 219
AFF Level 6 $ 219
AFF Level 7 $ 219
AFF Level 8 $ 219
Coach Jumps $ 110 x 5 $ 550
Solo Jumps $ 26 x 11 $ 286
Hop N' Pop $ 21 x 1 $ 21
PRO Video Package $ 135 x 1 $ 135
De-briefing Videos X 10 FREE
Daily Gear Rentals $ 107 x 6 $ 642
Packing Class $80
USPA Membership $ 65
USPA A License $30

Actual Value: $3,731
Pay Only: $3,358

The North one is a Static Line course, the South one is AFF. The static line courses you jump out of the plane and a line deploys your canopy for you. You start out at low altitudes and go higher with longer freefalls as your skills progress. In AFF you start at full altitude with two instructors holding on to you (but otherwise not attached) and each jump has objectives that you work on to build your skills.

AFAIK they both work reasonably well, so it kind of depends on personal preference. The DZ where I did my training offered AFF so that's what I did, and I liked it. I did have to repeat several jumps for a variety of (occasionally comical) reasons. I'm pretty sure you can potentially have repeats in an SL course too, if you don't accomplish the objectives of your jump or are not comfortable moving on to the next level.

If I had a do-over I'd do AFF again, but I'd start the whole thing off with about half an hour of wind tunnel time. That's a good deal less expensive per minute than AFF and probably would have saved me a couple of repeats along the way. Ooh and I'd buy my own helmet, clear goggles and jumpsuit for the tunnel. Rental jumpsuits always make me feel gross. You're kind of stuck with them for AFF, but your instructors might let you wear your own helmet and goggles if the goggles are clear and the helmet's not full-faced (They need to be able to see your eyes and expression during the jump.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Which one is closest to your home? Which is likely to be your "home DZ" once you become a licensed skydiver? (And if the answer is "neither of them," I have to ask why you're not looking closer to home).

Skydiving is, at its heart, a social sport. Getting to know the people and the dropzone as you come up in the sport is critical to your ongoing growth as a jumper. Run off to a destination dropzone and come back home as a newly-minted A license holder, and you've just spent zero time getting to know the people at the dropzone. That means you haven't started to figure out who the wise old dogs are and who the idiots are. You haven't started to get to know the folks that will take you up for a two- or three-way jump just because they love to see the excitement on a new jumper's face when they turn their first points. You haven't started to get to know the folks that will mentor you and help you grow and (hopefully) tell you when you're in over your head.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with going to a faraway dropzone for your training; for folks who want to get started in a northern climate in the winter it might be the only viable option to travel somewhere warmer.

But there's a lot to be said about growing up at a dropzone near home. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

AFF gets a lot of attention and it is popular. I was on a jump this past weekend where a post AFF student was doing a solo jump from 13,500. The student was pulling at 5,000 and was one of the last out. After a couple of balking attempts to exit, the student signaled for a go around. The pilot did the "go round". Then the student started balking again. Those of us waiting to get out encouraged with GO, GO...and the student did exit.

Later in the day I was talking to someone that had decided they wanted to do AFF but had to save up money to do it. I mentioned SL and there was a "No, don't think so reaction". I thought about what I had seen on the previous flight and made the comment, "SL builds a sort of character. I don't recall seeing a solo post SL student balk at exiting the aircraft". I am sure there are some.

I did some AFF and some SL jumps and both have specific good qualities. Some think SL or IAD is not attractive. But it is still often used at smaller DZs. Many have learned that way.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

The tunnel time you get (minimal anyway) is not worth the price differential, IMO.
And don't fall for that "you get what you pay for ploy". Less expensive does NOT mean less quality.

Before you buy, check...

Skydive the Farm
Rockmart, GA

http://www.skydivethefarm.com/

AFF Package Deals

First Jump Course and AFF Jumps (Levels 1 - 7)
$1,199 Package prices do NOT include repeat jumps during the AFF course

Complete A-License Package
First Jump Course, Jumps 1 - 25, 4 Coach slots, Canopy Course with Flight-1, gear rental, and pack jobs
$1,999 Package prices do NOT include repeat jumps during the AFF course
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

popsjumper

The tunnel time you get (minimal anyway) is not worth the price differential, IMO.
And don't fall for that "you get what you pay for ploy". Less expensive does NOT mean less quality.

Heh. If you can get AFF 1-7 at Lodi for $1000, would you do it?

If you save yourself $1000 or so on training and spend it travelling there, you're really not saving that much. $1000 is a pretty small percentage of what you spend on the sport, ultimately. How much have YOU put into skydiving so far?
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

***The tunnel time you get (minimal anyway) is not worth the price differential, IMO.

If you save yourself $1000 or so on training and spend it travelling there, you're really not saving that much. $1000 is a pretty small percentage of what you spend on the sport, ultimately. How much have YOU put into skydiving so far?

$1000 at Lodi..hek yeah!
But i'd go for whichever DZ is closest over the price. why? because it'll be your home DZ for awhile and would you want to spend the extra money on gas when it can be used for rentals and jumps?

You're at one of the more costly DZs, no doubt. :D:D

FlyingRhenquest

How much have YOU put into skydiving so far?

:D:D:DYou're gonna have to be here a long while.
Son, when you get to my age, you really won't want to think about how much money you've put into the sport.

If you need a number ---> $0.05+

Nope. You don't know what you don't know.

If you save yourself $1000 or so on training and spend it travelling there, you're really not saving that much.

True enough to a point...if you ignore the intangibles.
Do you realize just how many people travel from EUROPE to learn here? They save money AND get a vacation out of it.

GooniesKid

But i'd go for whichever DZ is closest over the price. why? because it'll be your home DZ for awhile...

And there you have it, folks.

If you are concerned about the costs as the OP is, then other options are available.

popsjumper

You're at one of the more costly DZs, no doubt. :D:D

***How much have YOU put into skydiving so far?

Son, when you get to my age, you really won't want to think about how much money you've put into the sport.

If you save yourself $1000 or so on training and spend it travelling there, you're really not saving that much.

Do you realize just how many people travel from EUROPE to learn here? They save money AND get a vacation out of it.

The first 2 yeas alone (for myself) i've put in about $20K...AFF, the classes, coached, food, packer money, condoms, gas, gear, first rig, jumps, beer (for all those damn firsts! >:(), liquor, renting a place (because DZ is 2 hours away from home and i'm lazy to wake up early), taking potential prospects out on dates.

GooniesKid

***You're at one of the more costly DZs, no doubt. :D:D

***How much have YOU put into skydiving so far?

The first 2 yeas alone (for myself) i've put in about $20K...AFF, the classes, coached, food, packer money, condoms, gas, gear, first rig, jumps, beer (for all those damn firsts! >:(), liquor, renting a place (because DZ is 2 hours away from home and i'm lazy to wake up early), taking potential prospects out on dates.

I'm pretty sure that money would have been spent, anyway. Except for the actual dates. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

The static line route is still a viable option and the jumps can be much less stressful for some people than the AFF method.

I really have to question why tandem jumps would be required before taking the FJC and jumping with the static line. This is a common practice at many drop zones, but it seems like a waste of money to this old school geezer.

Jumpingeezer

The static line route is still a viable option and the jumps can be much less stressful for some people than the AFF method.

I really have to question why tandem jumps would be required before taking the FJC and jumping with the static line. This is a common practice at many drop zones, but it seems like a waste of money to this old school geezer.

$$$ That's why.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9