PixieUK

Confused a lot of people with my first tandem today, lol

So, 3rd time lucky, I actually did my first tandem skydive today and in the process, confused several people with my reactions!

I have always been of the philosophy that if the pilot is landing in the plane, I see no good reason why I shouldn't. It has taken my SO over 4 years to persuade me to try a tandem jump (I've had my medical certificate for over 2 years!) and after doing lots of research, asking loads of questions and finally wanting to see what all the fuss was about, today was the day the weather was kind enough to let us actually jump.

First was cancelled 2 weeks ago due to rain, second last weekend was called off at the last minute (as we were kitted up and ready to go) due to strong wind gusts that never really died down and the cci decided to stop further jumping that day. So I thought I had a fairly good idea what to expect, having had 2 briefings (and my SO is a qualified instructor though he hasn't jumped for about 8 years so he did his first tandem at the same time) and was relatively chilled out as we headed to the plane.

I was very relaxed in the plane and was curious to see if I could find the drop zone myself without being told - it was easy enough at the start and I did spot it out of the opposite window at about 5000' but lost it again when the plane banked. My TI showed me his altimeter and explained what would be happening at various heights on the way back down.

We got to altitude, I saw my SO and his TI drop out (doing somersaults apparently, lol) and before I knew quite what was happening, I was smiling for the cameraman and we launched. I wasn't expecting the big lurch in my stomach like a rollercoaster ride or the pain in my right eardrum shortly afterwards and I'd forgotten about the noise we'd been warned about, but was looking around as much as I could, given my head was wedged against my TI's shoulder. My camera man popped into view so I was smiling and waving to him, then couldn't resist looking down. Incredible views, though I had absolutely no idea where the landing point was B|

The canopy opened with a hell of a jolt and I felt a bit thrown about - wasn't expecting that, especially as I'd been told it wouldn't be a jolt when I'd asked earlier! I looked up immediately and the canopy was fully open so I figured everything was fine. Did some amazing spirals and turns on the way down, spotted the landing zone, then had a hard fast landing on our bums (with catchers!). Rich and the cameraman were already down and looked a bit concerned but I was fine, just hadn't tried to move because I was waiting for instructions from my TI as we were still clipped tightly together.

I was very happy I'd done it, enjoyed the ride but wasn't bouncing about with euphoria and didn't have the adrenaline rush everyone seemed to be expecting. I'm still not entirely convinced I want to do it again, but am not sure how much of that was down to the pain in my ear (not pressure related, probably water or wax I think), and unexpected things happening. Maybe when I see the video and pictures, my recollections will change :D

Apparently the hard opening of the chute was unusual (cameraman had the same thing and was unimpressed!) and so was the hard landing. Though I do know low count jumpers and students would not have been permitted up today so maybe I need to do another jump to decide ;)
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

:)

I have sorted earplugs to try and prevent the wind getting into my ears to see if that resolves the pain issue - my DZ has said I can pay for each jump independently so at least I won't have committed the whole cost of the AFF course if it turns out that I can't cure the problem.

I suspect my adrenaline levels are going to be very much higher when I have to jump out the plane myself, rather than essentially being pushed, lol
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

My first jump didn't leave me euphoric, delirious with joy, or any such thing. I had a bit of a tremble in my knees, which I know to be a sign of adrenaline come-down. But mostly it just felt very fun. A completely unique experience. I am not the kind of person who whoops and hollers at things, though. I just enjoyed the sky, the feeling of being immersed in air. I did a little asking around and found out that the air pressure changes are something you get used to after a while. Actually, I got myself used to them by doing bottom dives at the deep end of our local swimming pool... about 14 feet deep. The pressure change is in fact greater in the pool than in the air, and after about 10 dives I was not feeling any more pain. My second jump was outstanding. I knew what to expect, I was ready for opening shock and landing, and I was able to enjoy the jump more, especially since this time I was practicing what I had been taught.
Best of luck in the AFF! You and I are both going through it :D
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

My first jump didn't leave me euphoric, delirious with joy, or any such thing. I had a bit of a tremble in my knees, which I know to be a sign of adrenaline come-down. But mostly it just felt very fun. A completely unique experience. I am not the kind of person who whoops and hollers at things, though. I just enjoyed the sky, the feeling of being immersed in air. I did a little asking around and found out that the air pressure changes are something you get used to after a while. Actually, I got myself used to them by doing bottom dives at the deep end of our local swimming pool... about 14 feet deep. The pressure change is in fact greater in the pool than in the air, and after about 10 dives I was not feeling any more pain. My second jump was outstanding. I knew what to expect, I was ready for opening shock and landing, and I was able to enjoy the jump more, especially since this time I was practicing what I had been taught.
Best of luck in the AFF! You and I are both going through it :D

Correct, the pressure change in the pool is different than in the air because liquid is a much denser medium. However, if you can equalize in the pool (or even equalize while scuba diving) without any problems you should be ok in the air.

On my first AFF jump (i didn't do tandem because i didn't want some big buck dude strapped to me from behind,,i know, i'm a homophobe) i got a little bit nausea under canopy. But after that I think by body just got used to it. That plus on my first AFF jump after opening it felt like i went through some g-forces but now i think i just got used to it.
Did you experience the same?

Tandems are the best way to learn canopy control. You can't be a good skydiver if you're not a good parachutist.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I really don't mind a whole bunch of tandems...
they view us licensed skydivers as "omg, those skydivers must be crazy but they are soooooo cool! I'd totally date one!".
besides it's the tandem business that keep the DZs open for us real skydivers who are licensed :)

GooniesKid

I really don't mind a whole bunch of tandems...
they view us licensed skydivers as "omg, those skydivers must be crazy but they are soooooo cool! I'd totally date one!".
besides it's the tandem business that keep the DZs open for us real skydivers who are licensed :)

I second this.

At the dropzone I'm training at we get the 18-21 OMG I'm s0 AwEsuM girls doing tandems and let me tell you something, when they advise you to wear something comfortable, I think "hey a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some sneakers.". Not these girls. They wear the smallest, tightest, thinnest shorts and tops I HAVE EVER SEEN. And they're perky.

Sometimes it makes it bearable when they bump you from a load to let the tandems go.

So in conclusion, Tandems = $$$ for the DZ and great eye candy.

Now I fell dirty...

Niki1

Tandems are the best way to learn canopy control. You can't be a good skydiver if you're not a good parachutist.

I guess they teach it differently in the UK. As far as I've been told by my instructors and people I've met at the dz, the options are either static line or straight into AFF for beginners wanting to learn to skydive.
I was getting a bit frustrated yesterday after 3 days on the dz with practically everyone jumping but me (squirrelly winds) and asked my instructor if he would take me up for a tandem but he recommended I spend the money on wind tunnel time instead. He would have taken me up and let me borrow an altimeter, fly the canopy etc, but he thought it was a lot of money to burn and didn't think I'd gain enough from it for it to be value for money. He's been an instructor for several years and teaches at multiple drop zones (the one I am learning at is only open Thur-Sun)