FlyingRhenquest

Logging Your Tings

I notice the more I jump the more epic my log entries get. My last high pull made 8 lines of remarks -- exit altitude, deploy altitude according to my altimeter, how long I spent under canopy, yadda yadda yadda. The first entry in here, jump 25, says simply "Lost helmet. Pulled @8000." There's a long and incredibly funny story behind all that, left untold!

For those of you who still log, what do your log entries look like and have they gotten more or less epic as your jump career continues?

If you don't log anymore, why did you stop? Except Pops; with 999999999 jumps, you'd need enough sheets of paper that your log book would be approximately 15 miles high (I learned on my first job that 1000 sheets of paper are approximately 1 inch, so it's pretty easy to do the math.) So it's understandable why he wouldn't log.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

:D:D:D
I'm a tree hugger.
:D:D:D

Started out trying to squeeze something more than "formation" on those skinny lines in the logbook. Gave it up...
Jump 30 pull at 1.9.
Jump 31 pull at 2.2
etc., etc.

Later years we had those fancy ones and wrote paragraphs for a thousand or so, then...
Jump#x - 36-way
Jump#x - 120-way
Jump#x - Cutaway. Thanks, Chad.
Jump#x - Gas station at Fitz
Jump#x - Bail at 1.7
Jump#x - Sit
Jump#x - Coach A. XYZ
Jump#x - AFF L1 A. XYZ with Dave K.
Jump #999999999 - Ga. POPs record Fitz

Nice to end it on an upswing.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Havn't made comments for about 300 jumps, except logged the number of students I've taken to the sky.

I don't really see a point in writing stories into logbook as I can't see myself reading these logbooks at later time anyway.. Maybe if there's something really different I might mention it, but I believe it's still for nothing.

I started jumping forty years ago. I often wrote more than most other jumpers, but I wish I had written down much more. I can guarantee that in 40-50 years you will love a trip down memory lane.

I wish I had recorded the tail numbers (N numbers in the USA) of every plane I jumped from. It is really interesting to see what has become of them. I wish I had written down more names, to reconnect with people. I wish I had written more about the road trips and boogies.

I have logged every one of my 2410 jumps. It is hard to predict what mundane thing will later become important to you.

I guess I can see how a modern "working" jumper, such as a tandem instructor, might have trouble getting motivated to log significant info. But I still bet most will wish they had. Some student will be famous, or infamous, some day.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

cube

Havn't made comments for about 300 jumps, except logged the number of students I've taken to the sky.

I don't really see a point in writing stories into logbook as I can't see myself reading these logbooks at later time anyway.. Maybe if there's something really different I might mention it, but I believe it's still for nothing.

Funnily enough I already go back and read my old ones. Even in a year it's odd what you don't remember about a specific jump until you go back and read. I think that's why I'm logging more now. Going back every so often reminds me of the trouble I had landing for the longest time. It really brings back the first jump where I had a really stable exit -- we flew around for 15 minutes trying to find a hole in the clouds to jump through. It reminds me that there was a period of time when I was having hard openings on a rental sabre. I have also have an enigmatic entry about "rental rig 4" saying that it sucks and I should avoid it (Think it had a tuck tab that always wanted to come undone, and had opened to line twists for me on a couple of different occasions. Which was probably MY fault!) Really a LOT has happened over the last year!

I like the idea further on down the thread about logging tail numbers, too. Gonna have to do that for the planes I jump out of from now on, I think. I feel like I only have to log that info once, maybe I'll make a spot in the front of the book for them.

I don't like the little log books I've seen. After looking at several (And paragear telling me I needed at least a $25 order when I tried to buy a $9 hardcover one) I just got a spiral notebook. I usually do two or three entries on the front of each page and leave the back open for any additional notes. Everyone seems surprised at it, but it works for me.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

darkwing

I guess I can see how a modern "working" jumper, such as a tandem instructor, might have trouble getting motivated to log significant info.

BRAIN FLASH!

Voice recorder.
Your SO can transcribe when you get home!

mattjw916

this

plus it's nice to go back and read about a fun jump you made with someone that you're never going to jump with again

...and get signatures of the rich and famous.
Some don't even charge you!
:)

I like to make short notes on things that,
I learned
I need to remember to pay more attention to (not to again)
I odd happening that are interesting

I don't write a lot, but enough to recall what the note is about.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

My logs reflect my mood on the jump I guess. During AFF and A license I filled the page every jump - there was something 'new' happening every jump, exciting stuff :) After a fair few boring solos my logs got pretty basic. Now I'm jumping in 4-10 ways and learning to freefly my logs are filling the page again. I'm guessing in the future these jumps will also become a bit mundane like solos and the logs will reflect that. I try to always include names of the people i jump with tho.

I have all the ratings I am likely to ever get, so I stopped logging jumps in paper logbooks about 7-8 years ago, but I still log my jumps. I now use an Excel spreadsheet that I can customize as I take on new things I want to keep track of. It's also searchable by sorting the data which is handy. For instance, I can see exactly how many jumps I have on a main canopy before I sell it or determine if it needs a reline. The spreadsheet keeps running totals & averages at the top so I don't have to tally anything including free fall time.

I used to make a lot of notes in my paper logbooks early on, then it was just to keep track of stats and the occasional note. I have the names of most of my Tandem Students which is cool.

I always recommend that people log their jumps somehow. Paper logs should be used until you have all the ratings you want . . . some I/Es may require signatures.
Arrive Safely

John

popsjumper

***this

plus it's nice to go back and read about a fun jump you made with someone that you're never going to jump with again

I do, but you get a free repack with signature purchase. :P:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

******this

I do, but you get a free repack with signature purchase. :P:D

Best deal surprise ever!
;)