mike524

Batwing: how many still flying

There are a few around; I don't know any one actually flying one. Might be fun to build an ROL or spring-loaded PC to fly one of the old ones, provided the fabric is still good and the broomstick or aluminum ribs have been replaced with something that won't pierce the body in a bad landing.
Is your guy in France still jumping his??

There are a few around; I don't know any one actually flying one. Might be fun to build an ROL or spring-loaded PC to fly one of the old ones, provided the fabric is still good and the broomstick or aluminum ribs have been replaced with something that won't pierce the body in a bad landing.
Is your guy in France still jumping his??

Spot: I think he's talking about the Batwing canopies made back in the day by Precision.
Remster

I was talking about the canopy from precision dating from the nineties... I know a guy still jumping one of these, and I was wondering if there where still some others around....

"The Batwing is among Precision's highest performance canopies, and is produced in five sizes proportionally scaled to fit a defined weight range."

http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/25.html
www.321chutelibre.fr
www.saut-en-parachute.com

I miss my soft openings and sweet landings I had with my batwing.....don't miss the line twists, though they usually made me start laughing...and mine was really ugly too!

What size is the one in France? and does he want to sell it?

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

A local guy (southern Ontario) flies a smaller one. Mind you, he's back in the sport after a couple years of rehab due to serious injuries. He was always able to put on a good show with ultra low diving turns before landing, because of the canopy's short recovery arc. Until one day he got a bit casual and hooked too low...

What the hell is DSE talking about? A canopy that had rigid ribs? :o

History lesson please! :)

The original wingsuits is my guess... The boy has a 1 track mind... ;)

Sorry, wingsuit pic on my wall above my desk flying a Batwing. One-track mind is right.
I didn't know there was a canopy by that name.:$

Sorry, Yorkshire Birdman pic on my wall above my desk.
I didn't know there was a canopy by that name.:$

A bit before your time... Though you may have heard it referred to as "Splatwing" :P

Was a cool-looking canopy for sure, I want me a canopy of that purple-camo-whatever fabric B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Was a cool-looking canopy for sure, I want me a canopy of that purple-camo-whatever fabric B|

The top-skin had conventional chord-wise construction while the bottom was span-wise so you could get some cool effects if you alternated light and dark fabrics.

My 134 had the abstract purple print fabric on top and mostly white bottom with a green horizontal stripe.

Wow, even after all this time it does not take long to get a "Splatwing" comment. I have owned a number of them and currently use one in my second rig. I have approx 1500'ish jumps on Batwings in various sizes from the 98 to the 171 with ~1200 on the 134 size. Really was a great canopy when it came out and seemed to have regional pockets of support. I was defiantly an outlier in the Pacafic NW with the canopy In terms of comparable performance, it did not go into a turn quite as fast as a "Spin"itteo but the openings were (are) much better. I was able to get very good swoops on it but found the recovery arc is very quick and it does not like diving as the Front Riser pressure is pretty high as the turn goes beyond 90 especially with the 2 bigger sizes.

I am happy to jump mine whenever I need my second rig and always keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 134 in the Picasso pattern with Green and white underside! If your lucky you can get one with the Bat on the bottom still in good shape, damn I really loved that canopy..... :)
Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Wow, even after all this time it does not take long to get a "Splatwing" comment.

Surprisingly enough, we don't have Splatana or Splatfires...or SplatVX. Ok, the last one doesn't work as well, but still, it shows how some of the perceptions involving canopy flight accidents have changed. s
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not really answering your question, bu thought I'd share my Batwing experience.

I used to jump a 134 and then a 116 from about 1996 til about 2001. Hated the openings (too slow, had to pump the brakes to help it out usually) and the landings...but loved the in-between, fun to fly.

I tried to land one on just risers in no-wind due to a broken steering line about 13-14 years ago. I still can't sit on anything firm, my back hurts too much when I try. Shoulda been cutaway #5. ;)

After I gained a lot of weight during a pregnancy and was probably about 165 lbs. (body weight) jumping my 116...it scared me enough on landing to retire from it permanently. Jumped a Spectre someone had, was so impressed that it opened all by itself that I bought one, lol.

I am a little curious about the modern ellipticals now.

DSE hasn't been around long enough to remember the popular ram-air canopies by that name.
He's answering from watching "Gypsy Moths".

DSE hasn't been around long enough to remember the popular ram-air canopies by that name.
He's answering from watching "Gypsy Moths".

Can't resist the chance to take a shot, can ya John?:P
Nope...I never jumped a Batwing...but have shot a doc on the Batwing of early wingsuits. Even worn a couple but never jumped one. I kinda looked like Mothra. Have you jumped one, old timer?

I am a little curious about the modern ellipticals now.

You should check in to demoing a NZ made Crossfire. If you were impressed by Spectre openings, you'd love this wing.

what she said. I love my xfire 2
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .