Justin212

Dropzone Etiquette

Justin212

I am new to skydiving and wondering; are there any unwritten rules that can be applied to all (or most) dropzones?

Get a DZ briefing, even if you have to ask for one.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Here's some:

Some people don't like you touching their gear.

On the packing mat walk around any gear being packed, don't step over (eventually you'll catch someones lines and they'll have to start from scratch again).

Some DZs have a no beverages in the packing area rule (for obvious reasons). Just ask.

When you've learned some stuff you'll be super keen to talk about it, just be careful as to what constitutes 'relaying your experiences' and 'advice'. Leave the advice bit to instructors as you could be confusing other people of low experience.

Other than that if you turn up with a positive attitude then you'll be just fine. Every DZ has its fair share of assholes as do all clubs/workplaces/etc too.

Welcome to the sport :-)

Play Nice with Others
Try to keep a smile on your face. :)
Don't behave like you're the BEST @ the DZ..:S but don't behave like you're the WORST......either:|

remember that this is "leisure time activity" for many and so limit the DRAMATICS....

skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends.

arrive early....leave late ;)B|

always try to keep a couple of jumps worth of $$$$ on account so that you can jump on the days
when "you're broke"...:o:P;)

jmy

#1 : Respect...

Respect the sport
Respect the people
Respect the equipment
Respect the rules

Respect YOUR limits

Oh and get to learn who the pilot is not just the back of his/her head!! - Say Hi and Thanks.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

Oh and get to learn who the pilot is not just the back of his/her head!! - Say Hi and Thanks.

From the beginning I’ve been “scared” to talk or to get to know the pilots. At the 2 DZ I’ve been they have special chilling rooms, special lunch rooms, special entry, special parking slots, special all….

I’ve always thought they were like an elite to which you should not to talk or interact as you’ll be probably annoying them. I can only see them in the plane and there’s an imaginary “Do not talk to the driver” sign as in the bus.

Yeps001

*** Oh and get to learn who the pilot is not just the back of his/her head!! - Say Hi and Thanks.

From the beginning I’ve been “scared” to talk or to get to know the pilots. At the 2 DZ I’ve been they have special chilling rooms, special lunch rooms, special entry, special parking slots, special all….

I’ve always thought they were like an elite to which you should not to talk or interact as you’ll be probably annoying them. I can only see them in the plane and there’s an imaginary “Do not talk to the driver” sign as in the bus.

That's sad :-(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Don't touch other people's gear, especially their rigs. Unless you have a VERY-VERY-VERY good reason.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

normiss

always try to keep a couple of jumps worth of $$$$ on account so that you can jump on the days
when "you're broke"

AWESOME advice JiMMy!
B|

Talk to your packers. Get to know them.

I agree...i always put money down on my account at my local dz, but i never jump that worth of said money put down. That way it slowly accumulates credit.

Tip you packers (they will remember you and sometimes get you on a 20)