Namowal

List of Jumpers I Should Have Heard of...?

Wow, thanks for all the names, everyone.

I've heard of many of these gals and guys, but many are new to me too.B|

Look up Tamra Koyn too, Jen ;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Back when I started the sport, an older jumper mentioned to me that he found it annoying that a lot of the younger jumpers didn't recognize (or hadn't heard of) distinguished jumpers from the past and even the present.
In your opinion, is there a list of skydivers you think all of us should be familiar with? Who are they? (Aside from yourself, of course ;)...

Pssst....

skr

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

These guys are younger than me but have accomplished a lot in their careers.

Craig Girard
Andy Farrington
Luke Aikins

Hi John

They sure have,B|

One was a GK and the other two are third generation jumpers.
One Jump Wonder

There's a couple lists.

- Historical:

Sanborn, Istel, Ottley, Morehead, White. There are others, but those are the first that come to mind.

- Pioneers, but a little more recent:

Bill Booth, Ted Strong, Dan Poynter. Again, there are others.

- Champions:

Dan BC, Kirk Verner, Rook and Missy Nelson, Eli Thompson. Again, many many others.

If you meant Pat Moorehead, he just did 80 jumps on his 80th birthday, so he's still going strong.

Rook Nelson won gold in both VFS and FS at this year's nationals (as well as a silver in FS to go along with them) and organized the head down world record last summer.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That redbull drinking biker twat has done as much for several sports as Bill Cole or anyone has done for skydiving.

Says the guy with the 80 jumps!

I won't call him a twat, and I am sure Travis is a cool guy, but he is no Bill Cole nor does he measure up to any of the old timers that I have gotten to know in my short time in the sport.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

That redbull drinking biker twat has done as much for several sports as Bill Cole or anyone has done for skydiving.

I won't call him a twat, and I am sure Travis is a cool guy, but he is no Bill Cole nor does he measure up to any of the old timers that I have gotten to know in my short time in the sport.

What does my jump numbers have to do with it? Im just saying, Travis (along with a handful of other noteables) literally revolutionized the sport of freestyle motocross the same way many names mentioned on this thread have revolutionized skydiving or BASE. I have to plead my ignorance with a lot of the names mentioned here, I got some homework to do, but to imply Travis' achievements in his field(s) dont mean as much to his sport as BC's do in his sport is just unfair.

What does my jump numbers have to do with it? Im just saying, Travis (along with a handful of other noteables) literally revolutionized the sport of freestyle motocross the same way many names mentioned on this thread have revolutionized skydiving or BASE. I have to plead my ignorance with a lot of the names mentioned here, I got some homework to do, but to imply Travis' achievements in his field(s) dont mean as much to his sport as BC's do in his sport is just unfair.

Your jump numbers have nothing to do with it. That whooshing you hear is the point of your comment going right on over Doug's punkin haid.

Moreover, you have a better handle on the title of this thread than a whole bunch of peeps with thousands of jumps who have no clue, given the names they're listed (almost all of which are popular and/or well-known).

I concur, BTW; Travis is a big-time extreme sportsman who briefly touched parachuting among his many other sporting exploits.

Another along the same lines is Shane McConkey. Check HIM out when you do your homework. He not only created a special kind of BASE jumping that continues to this day, he invented a ski that utterly changed the way peeps approach powder... plus he was one of the baddest skiers ever to have carved tracks through virgin snow and mogul fields alike.

B|

Olav Zipser
Stefania Martinengo
Mike Swanson
Fillippo Fabbi
Dave Brown
Charles Bryan
Max Cohn
Eli Thompson
Orly King
TJ Landgren
Nathan Gilbert
John Matthews

To all the Atmosphere Dolphins who made me work at being the best freeflyer I could be.

And for the Texas freeflyers, my goal is for everyone to know the most awesome freeflyer to have ever graced the skies of the Lone Star state,

Brad Slager

I believe with all the skydivers in the sport now and all the different disciplines, it all depends on the discipline you choose.

I was never a belly flyer, so many bellyflyers that have made a mark in the sport I probably don't know even after 18 years.

Hard to believe Tom Piras died 20 years ago:|

Bill Jones (and family.)
Rob Harris
BT Taylor
Dale Gates
Ray Cottingham
Jack Jeffries
Scotty Rhodes
Dale Stuart
Mike Michigan

Ditto :(

I'm a bit biased since I flew at Deland for a season.

Jack Jeffries
Tom Piras
Irve Callahan
Rickster Powell
Mark Hewitt (Base #46 Naked Base #1)

Jerry Bird
Experience is knowing a lot of things you shouldn't do !

Your jump numbers have nothing to do with it. That whooshing you hear is the point of your comment going right on over Doug's punkin haid.

I concur, BTW; Travis is a big-time extreme sportsman who briefly touched parachuting among his many other sporting exploits.

Punkin haid, I like that. :D

Nothing went wooshing by my "Punkin haid". I think that was the sound of your keyboard crying uncle from being so overworked. Probably more of whimper than a woosh! :P;)

I wasn't the one who slighted the great Travis Pastrana, nor did I discount any of his NON skydiving exploits. I think they are awesome.

That being said this was a thread about names of jumpers we should have heard of because of their skydiving exploits and contributions. And if you are going to compare apples to apples Travis contribution to the sport, although very heavily youtubed and promoted, doesn't compare to any of the other names I see on this list.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

And we're seeing a lot of names put out here now that are more local-hero in nature. But this thread is rather about nationally recognized names, so I don't think those really fit here. Not to say that the local-heros don't deserve recognition, heck, they do - they're the backbone of this sport - those guys who are out there every weekend training students and dispensing wise advice. There are thousands of those unsung heros. But they're not going to be known outside their local area, and wouldn't appear here in this list.

Punkin haid, I like that. :D

Nothing went wooshing by my "Punkin haid". I think that was the sound of your keyboard crying uncle from being so overworked. Probably more of whimper than a woosh! :P;)

I wasn't the one who slighted the great Travis Pastrana, nor did I discount any of his NON skydiving exploits. I think they are awesome.

That being said this was a thread about names of jumpers we should have heard of because of their skydiving exploits and contributions. And if you are going to compare apples to apples Travis contribution to the sport, although very heavily youtubed and promoted, doesn't compare to any of the other names I see on this list.

Pssst...

skr

B|