Notarock

Column A or Column B

Just want to run this by some experienced people.

I recently have decided to do my AFF after a tandem jump this summer. Although it started as a "check off" jump, this experience has turned into a passion to pursue further.

I have set up a date for the next "training tandem" as well as been in contact with this DZ as to when next class for AFF is going to start, and I'm prepped to join.

I have obviously (by posting on this site) been trying to reach out and learn as much about skydiving as I can in between:)

So the issue is this:

Since looking up information on skydiving online, I learned that there is actually a different DZ just a few miles down the road from where I live...

This newly discovered DZ is actually cheaper for their AFF, is on the USPA list, and is obviously closer!

The DZ I was intending on doing my AFF (and where I did my tandem) is just under 2 hours away from me and it cost more.

So what is the issue you say, on a very obvious decision?

While DZ A (where I did the tandem jump) is very well known. Everyone in my state has heard of it. Everyone that has done a "one time" bucket list jump has done it here. I feel a connection to them and the people I met. Perhaps my weakest point of in favor of this DZ is their website which is very professional, and highlights their safety standards and USPA rating.

Even USPA has a special mark on their website next to this DZ for being a training center.

DZ B, while around the corner from me....I've never heard of. Hell, I didn't even book my tandem there when I was randomly choosing a place on the internet because it didn't come up in my search. When I click on their website it seems amateurish at best. It has no mention of being recognized by USPA, safety information or the like...

I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I guess I am. It lacks local reputation, and while cheaper, it requires you to be a member at it's DZ to jump (aka fees). Perhaps it's simply a bond that I formed from my first jump at DZ A that is poisoning my mind!

What would you do???

I'm in Michigan, if anyone wants to help out or has more specific advice bring it on! or message me:)
you have a lot more testicles than most guys I know for just considering skydiving on your own! -some forum guy

Arvoitus

Is the difference in price worth the peace of mind you get from doing it at the familiar, more recognized DZ?

That was exactly my thought, but then I also thought that might be a wee bit pretentious in thinking. All USPA DZ's should be pretty equal or no?

(and the distance is also another major factor)
you have a lot more testicles than most guys I know for just considering skydiving on your own! -some forum guy

Hey mate,

Just my 2 cents. You want to avoid a "tandem factory". By that I mean where everyone goes to do their tandems and tandems are prioritised over fun jumpers.

When you've finished your AFF you will probably want to keep jumping at the same DZ you learnt at - and you don't want to find that suddenly you find it hard to get on a load because they only want student jumpers and tandems (aka money makers)

Check with the USPA on DZ B - they should have a list of affiliated DZs in the US.

Obviously go with the one that is affiliated, but if they are both affiliated then perhaps DZ B is more focused on the fun jumper???

Divulge the DZ names on here - you'll probably get a quick answer.

Notarock

Just want to run this by some experienced people.

I recently have decided to do my AFF after a tandem jump this summer. Although it started as a "check off" jump, this experience has turned into a passion to pursue further.

I have set up a date for the next "training tandem" as well as been in contact with this DZ as to when next class for AFF is going to start, and I'm prepped to join.

I have obviously (by posting on this site) been trying to reach out and learn as much about skydiving as I can in between:)

So the issue is this:

Since looking up information on skydiving online, I learned that there is actually a different DZ just a few miles down the road from where I live...

This newly discovered DZ is actually cheaper for their AFF, is on the USPA list, and is obviously closer!

The DZ I was intending on doing my AFF (and where I did my tandem) is just under 2 hours away from me and it cost more.

So what is the issue you say, on a very obvious decision?

While DZ A (where I did the tandem jump) is very well known. Everyone in my state has heard of it. Everyone that has done a "one time" bucket list jump has done it here. I feel a connection to them and the people I met. Perhaps my weakest point of in favor of this DZ is their website which is very professional, and highlights their safety standards and USPA rating.

Even USPA has a special mark on their website next to this DZ for being a training center.

DZ B, while around the corner from me....I've never heard of. Hell, I didn't even book my tandem there when I was randomly choosing a place on the internet because it didn't come up in my search. When I click on their website it seems amateurish at best. It has no mention of being recognized by USPA, safety information or the like...

I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I guess I am. It lacks local reputation, and while cheaper, it requires you to be a member at it's DZ to jump (aka fees). Perhaps it's simply a bond that I formed from my first jump at DZ A that is poisoning my mind!

What would you do???

I'm in Michigan, if anyone wants to help out or has more specific advice bring it on! or message me:)

I had a similar experience. I did my AFF at a very well known huge DZ (Empuriabrava, in spain) which was at 3-4h form home, so faaar away.

My surprise once there was when my instructor asked me why I went there when I had a DZ at less than 1h from home. I didn't know anything about it.

It was cheaper and much smaller; in fact they opened just 6 month before. Well after my AFF I went to the closest DZ to jump and it was awesome. They were all like family and the “bosses” were 4 highly experimented instructors from empuria that decided to start their own DZ. It’s true that they only have 1 pilatus and there’s a shortage of rigs to rent when there are AFFs but I love that place.

Cool and familiar environment, nice people, awesome views and they even ask you and encourage you to jump every time there’s a slot in the plane (which is almost every plane). So a normal day I can easily jump 5 times and it’s me that says “no more for today”. I did also my A license there and I’m still very happy. One thing I like also is that they are not “rules freaks”. Once they know you and they know your performance, they help you a lot and encourage you to try new things. For example, with 30 jumps, they allowed me to jump on a windy day when in empuria they would put a 100 jump limit and fuck you. That doesn’t mean that they were irresponsible, because before the jump, they told me everything I needed to know to land safely on those conditions and they were constantly watching me and giving me advice. They care about you and about your learning. I think I’ve learnt much more in this DZ that what I would have learnt in Empuria.

I’m waiting for winter season as they jump with snow as well (it’s at the mountains).

My opinion would be: Investigate more about the DZ B, find out who are the instructors and visit it to get a picture of how everything works there. Maybe you’ll find out that it’s a better place to jump than the big and famous DZ A.

You will find (most of the time) each DZ has some special thing that you will come to like about it. Maybe it is about the way the place is ran. Maybe it is some of the jumpers or staff there. If you have a couple of days to burn, go to each of them talk to the staff and the regular jumpers and let them know your plans to become licensed. Watch, listen, learn. While waiting is a fact in skydiving, waiting 5 hours for tandems to be done before you can do one student jump really stinks. Listen to other students with several jumps about issues they have and what might be problems for them. Smaller DZs tend to be more personal. Larger DZs tend to be more business, but they are still full of people and many of them can be just as helpful as at a smaller place. It really varies a lot. No matter where you end up, seek out the help you need. If they don’t know what you are trying to accomplish and they are busy, you might feel neglected. As a student, when I showed up I would find an instructor and tell them my goals for the day. Most often they could help make them happen.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Go visit DZ B. Talk to the instructors. Hang out with the jumpers.

Not having a flashy marketing presence has nothing to do with the quality of the DZ. IMO, having a flashy marketing presence tends to make me think it is a tandem factory. Nothing wrong with tandem factories if you are checking off your bucket list. If you want to be part of the family, I suspect that DZ B will be a much better choice.

And as far as USPA affiliation, all it takes is a few $. Yes, USPA Group members agree to follow certain rules, but in reality we all know that many of them don't. USPA membership by itself is not a mark of excellence, just a mark of having a pocket book.

Hiya

Have you looked up the reviews for your two choices on the Dropzones section of this site?
Michigan dropzones

Can you visit and just hang out there? Are there lots of non-tandem jumpers about and are they able to go up and jump or are they hanging around bored whilst lots of tandems go up? Are the instructors helpful and willing to answer your questions? How does the atmosphere feel compared with the other dz?

Good luck exploring the options!
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Just go ahead and name names. Tell us which DZs you are choosing between, and people who have been to one or both will be able to give you good feedback.

There's no 'rule' against naming DZs, and especially in your case you haven't said anything bad about either one.

Notarock

All USPA DZ's should be pretty equal or no?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Short answer... not really. USPA Group Membership is, at its core, a marketing program. Not much else. It doesn't tell you much of anything about the quality of the dropzone.

As others have said... name names, get opinions. Or read the reviews on here and see if there's a big difference in what experienced jumpers think of the two DZs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

davelepka

Just go ahead and name names. Tell us which DZs you are choosing between, and people who have been to one or both will be able to give you good feedback.

There's no 'rule' against naming DZs, and especially in your case you haven't said anything bad about either one.

Skydive Tecumseh is DZ A

Midwest Freefall is DZ B (that I recently discovered)

After some thought, I might give them a quick call and see what vibe I get over the phone:)

Backintothesky

Hey mate,

Just my 2 cents. You want to avoid a "tandem factory". By that I mean where everyone goes to do their tandems and tandems are prioritised over fun jumpers.

When you've finished your AFF you will probably want to keep jumping at the same DZ you learnt at - and you don't want to find that suddenly you find it hard to get on a load because they only want student jumpers and tandems (aka money makers)

Check with the USPA on DZ B - they should have a list of affiliated DZs in the US.

Obviously go with the one that is affiliated, but if they are both affiliated then perhaps DZ B is more focused on the fun jumper???

Divulge the DZ names on here - you'll probably get a quick answer.

Never thought of looking at it this way!

Sometime small is better ... (She didn't say that!)

I've learn that fairly quickly and a previous mention tandem factory isn't always the best spot to learn! Since you might get bumped over and over to make place for tandem while you wait all day to do your AFF jumps!
Avikus - Packer and Jumper - Hate landing with the plane!

I had to make a similar decision. I had done two tandems at the bigger turbine DZ 40 minutes away that had all the flashy marketing. Then I found out about a smaller Cessna DZ only 10 minutes away, and signed up for a static line first jump course. I had a great time at both DZ's. Then I had to decide where I wanted to continue.

I decided to stay with the smaller DZ for a few reasons. One was that I immediately got a sense of family at the small DZ. That's not to say the big DZ doesn't have that, but I didn't feel it when I was there.

Another reason was that only the small DZ offered static line training. After experiencing the static line training method, I felt that was the method that fit best with the way that I learn. It's more gradual, and more financially forgiving if you have to repeat a jump (which I did).

The other reason was of course that the smaller DZ was 30 minutes closer. That shouldn't be the deciding factor, but it is a nice bonus.

I would definitely try out Midwest. I was a Michigan Jumper way back, a Parahawk. Started at Salem a long time ago, Gregory and then Marine City. I Jumped Tecumseh as well. There is nothing wrong with Tecumseh, however it sounds like Midwest is less business oriented and more geared toward fun. Plus there is a lot to be said for being close and not having a 4 hour drive round-trip.

Good Luck.

Skydive Tecumseh is DZ A

Midwest Freefall is DZ B (that I recently discovered)

Both great choices. Midwest is smaller than Tecumseh, but not by much. It's run by the current vice president of the USPA (United States Parachute Association), and in the skydiving world, that's a pretty big deal.

The point is that you're going to get top notch quality instruction at either place, and if Midwest is closer to your home, go visit there and see what you think. If you like the look of the place, like the answers they have to any questions you can think of, and generally feel welcome, by all means do your training there.

Chances are, being so close to you, it will be your 'home' DZ, that being the place to do the majority of your jumps. When you're trying to fit skydiving into a busy life schedule, hours of driving becomes a real barrier. So if you're going to be jumping there, doing your AFF there will get you on a first name basis with the instructional staff from day one. If you train elsewhere and then show up to Midwest with an A license, you'll be brand new and not know anyone on the staff. Being a new jumper, it's a big help when all of your instructors are there to watch over your shoulder or answer any questions you might have.

That said, once you have a license, by all means you should go spend a day at Tecumseh, and a day at Skydive Chicago, and anywhere else you can think, just to meet new people and jump new places. Call Tecumseh and see if your gift card can be used next year to pay for fun jumps.

davelepka

Both great choices. Midwest is smaller than Tecumseh, but not by much. It's run by the current vice president of the USPA (United States Parachute Association), and in the skydiving world, that's a pretty big deal.

The point is that you're going to get top notch quality instruction at either place, and if Midwest is closer to your home, go visit there and see what you think. If you like the look of the place, like the answers they have to any questions you can think of, and generally feel welcome, by all means do your training there.

Chances are, being so close to you, it will be your 'home' DZ, that being the place to do the majority of your jumps. When you're trying to fit skydiving into a busy life schedule, hours of driving becomes a real barrier. So if you're going to be jumping there, doing your AFF there will get you on a first name basis with the instructional staff from day one. If you train elsewhere and then show up to Midwest with an A license, you'll be brand new and not know anyone on the staff.

Thanks very much for your reply.

I spoke to the people over at Midwest today, and it was definitely a good vibe.

I just want to say that I read everyone's response (including private messages) and I feel so much better about moving forward with this.

I guess it was the initial knee jerk reaction from a newbie that "big" must always mean better.

davelkpa gave you some good advice
I trained at a DZ that was just around the corner from my house and now that I am licensed, I love jumping at the same place I learned. I know the instructors and they are very happy to "look out for me" and check my gear etc. They still give advice and I still heed the advice.
They know that I am a local resident and that helps make you part of the community.
Recently I was walking towards the plane after having manifested. two tandems instructors recommended I not jump because of the turbulent winds. I turned around and went home. I dont think a place where I was not known as a local and a student would do that.
Go local, sounds like a good place to learn.
dwh