Cinders

Sizing and wingloading question

Hi, all. I'm thinking about selling my rig, but before I take that final step, I wanted some opinions from more experienced jumpers.

I have a Mirage G4 with a Sabre2 190. I got it used with ~500 jumps on it and sized for someone else. I'm 6'1" at 230, currently. I was about 20 lbs lighter when I bought it (so say 210), fresh off military duty. Some of that weight gain is muscle, some is fat (sigh). I'm just a heavy guy even when at low body fat.

The rig fits pretty well, though it's a little snug in the shoulders/chest area.

Problem is I have a chronic shoulder injury now. Nothing serious, just inflamation that pops up when strained.

The Sabre has been opening hard since I got it. Even with an experienced rigger packing it with this in mind, I get about half good and half hard openings. Hard openings are killing my shoulder.

So, does anyone think that a rig with looser shoulder straps and a larger main would open gentler? I tried a Javelin Odyssey, which fit better, though the leg straps turned into a g-string on opening (odd, because they have thick pads, but the straps jam up into the groin while the pads are pushed aside).

lol, I feel like I can either save my shoulder or save my groin.

I do have a faster than average fall rate, so even when spread out prior to opening, I'm not as slow as most people can get.

Appreciate any advice.

>So, does anyone think that a rig with looser shoulder straps and a larger main would
>open gentler?

Looser rigs tend to feel like they are opening harder.

A different canopy may open softer. A pocket slider added to your current main may help. Packing tricks may help. Slower fallrate may help. (Can be accomplished with swoop cords, a bigger jumpsuit, bigger booties/looser legs, webbed gloves etc.)

Friend of mine got spanked a lot on his Sabre 1 and ended up getting a pocket sewn into the slider by a rigger. Apparently this has helped bit. It might be worth talking to a rigger about whether your openings could be made any softer with the gear you have now, before you make a decision in the two-to-three-grand range!

The Safire 2 I have now opens like leaves blowing around you on a fall day. I'm also a bigger guy. Lately I average about a 130 MPH fall rate, but have not had a particularly bad opening on the safire yet. If you're looking for a canopy with soft openings, that's where I'd start (See if you can find someone to let you jump one!)

My Mirage G4 has some really nice padding on the shoulder straps and legs. If you don't have that, you might want to look into the possibility of getting some added.

I don't know if how tight the straps are would make a huge difference in the opening shock. There are a lot of factors that go into that, but I don't think that's one of them. I've just come off jumping a lot of rental rigs that didn't quite fit me in a variety of ways and that's not one of the things that made a difference. It might make a difference in how that shock is distributed through your body, though (Which I think is equally important.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Cinders

...The Sabre has been opening hard since I got it. Even with an experienced rigger packing it with this in mind, I get about half good and half hard openings. Hard openings are killing my shoulder....

The Sabre2 can open nicely. I had a couple hard openings and was told to make sure that the sides of the slider are pulled well out. The front and back of the slider is nowhere near as important as the sides.

Since I started doing that, the openings are much better.

Has the line trim been checked? Out of trim can do funky things to the openings.
Is the slider the correct size? It's not a real common issue, but sometimes the wrong slider is put on.

Alternatively, you could choose a canopy that is known for opening softly. The Spectre comes to mind, though there are others.
Canopy size and wingloading shouldn't affect openings (although I could be way off base on this).

I don't know how the harness fit would or even could affect the opening (but I could be way off on that too).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***...The Sabre has been opening hard since I got it. Even with an experienced rigger packing it with this in mind, I get about half good and half hard openings. Hard openings are killing my shoulder....

The Sabre2 can open nicely. I had a couple hard openings and was told to make sure that the sides of the slider are pulled well out. The front and back of the slider is nowhere near as important as the sides.

Since I started doing that, the openings are much better.

Has the line trim been checked? Out of trim can do funky things to the openings.
Is the slider the correct size? It's not a real common issue, but sometimes the wrong slider is put on.

Alternatively, you could choose a canopy that is known for opening softly. The Spectre comes to mind, though there are others.
Canopy size and wingloading shouldn't affect openings (although I could be way off base on this).

I don't know how the harness fit would or even could affect the opening (but I could be way off on that too).

100% check the trim. I had a Sabre2 150 which opened like shit. Sent it to PD for a reline and when it came back it was awesome. If it still has the original lineset it's probably way out of trim. Spectra looks good for a long time, but can go out of trim pretty quick.

The simplest way to measure the "life" of a lineset is to compare all the A lines on one side. Most canopies start out with almost zero difference across the A lines. By the time the difference exceeds 3 inches, you are due for all new suspension lines.
However, it is always wisest to have a rigger inspect your lines, with the factory trim chart open beside her.

This is also great reading if you haven't done so already:
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/hrdopn.pdf

C

I'm a little confused, when you asked this same question back in April you indicated a larger canopy that you rented did in fact work for you? But you didn't like the snivel? Was that the only reason? Open higher? You also risk a hard opening because you can now not control, unless you stand there, what other unknown packers might do. This in fact, considering you have indicated you are jumping with an injury, indicates a certain amount of...well perhaps not thinking clearly...

If you are injured: don't jump, take some time off, go to the beach....come back when you are well, avoid the wind tunnel....:)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."