Chelseaflies

Is landing downwind dangerous?

Yeah... Well, he also says he can't teach me to pack a parachute (even though it's part of the course that i've PAYED him to do) because "he's too busy" so I need to watch the packers and get them to teach me >:(

I've PM'd you. Let me know who he is. Sounds like he needs a bit of a rev.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Chelseaflies

Yeah... Well, he also says he can't teach me to pack a parachute (even though it's part of the course that i've PAYED him to do) because "he's too busy" so I need to watch the packers and get them to teach me >:(

WTF, Talk yo your CI or DZO, about this guy
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

normiss

Andrea yells at me for downwinders.
:(
First man down rule sucks.
>:(
Suuuuuuuuuch a long swoop though.
B|

Good ol' SudsyFist set a downwind pattern on me when we landed after my first jump in a year and a half :D

"Wait is he… oh god dammit"
cavete terrae.

Chelseaflies

Paid him or paid the dz? There is an important distinction. It's not uncommon to get 'attached' to an instructor and look to that person for all training.

In the case of packing it may well be that a packer or jumper with time on their hands will do a better job than a DZO trying to do it personally with all their other responsibilities.

As to landing downwind and the dangers, honestly chat to your local instructors. Some people have published the USA student priorities, the general principles are always the same, but each country often has a different emphasis or method of teaching the priorities - stick to the NZ method (OblexTim, is probably the best placed to give you advice)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

obelixtim

my instructor was quite angry at me,

***He also told me he was going to increase how windy it can be when I jump,

If I met your instructor, I think I would have a few things to say to him.

"My instructor sure was pissed that I don't understand the basic fundamentals of flight but he's increasing the student wind limit because I've got proven ability to hit the peas!"

Think the instructor might have been making a joke that was misunderstood? Misunderstood like the FJC explanation on wind?

Come on guys, lol.

Think the instructor might have been making a joke that was misunderstood?

I've dealt with a lot of students who speak very poor English. For an instructor to make "jokes" that can be misunderstood, and taken seriously, shows me that the instructor is a bit of a dickhead.

Misunderstandings can kill people.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....