dmaline

Selecting and Buying a Rig

I'm very new to the sport .. just 3 jumps and in the AFF course. I'm interested in purchasing a rig but am confused on what I should be looking for. I don't think I want to purchase anything high performance right now. I'm 5'5" 200lb. Any thoughts from anyone out there? Thanks!

Don't worry about buying gear yet. Focus on finishing your training. When you finish that and start renting gear, you can try different canopies pretty easily. You'll likely start with used gear and it's important to find a container that fits you and holds an appropriately sized main AND reserve. Don't buy anything without talking to your instructors first. Most people wont sell you a canopy that is beyond your skill level but there are some people who are just trying to make some money and will sell anything to anyone.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

dmaline

I'm very new to the sport .. just 3 jumps and in the AFF course. I'm interested in purchasing a rig but am confused on what I should be looking for. I don't think I want to purchase anything high performance right now. I'm 5'5" 200lb. Any thoughts from anyone out there? Thanks!

First off a short disclaimer : you said "Any thoughts from anyone out there" so here are my thoughts. Some people might think i'm dick but i'm just telling people what others are afraid to say so i'll say it. If you really want to know what I think and what others are probably thinking but won't say then continue reading below.
==============================================

Do you know why you are confused on what you are looking for?
I'll tell you, it is because you've only done 3 jumps, you haven't demo'ed any other canopies, you haven't taken a canopy course, you haven't dived with anyone else other than your instructors, you haven't been versed in Brian Germain's WL progression guide, you havne't don't your first "whatever" (which means beer for us), you haven't done much. heck do you even know how to pack your own main?
At a puggy 5'5" 200 lbs do you even know what your exit weight is and how that would effect your WL?

At just 3 jumps how do you know what you will really want to do in terms of canopy flying and flying disciplines? And now you want to buy a rig, which i'm hoping you'll choose a sane canopy with a sane WL.

You said "I don't think i want to purchase anything high performance right now"? Again how do you know what you want and what you don't want...or better yet what you need or don't need. Heck, you might even WANT a high performance rig and wing right now but you won't know until you graduate, start flying other wings, start refining your canopy and freefall skills, etc.

For now, enjoy the class, finish AFF and work on getting licensed. Too many of you young thundercats are so eager to get new gear and not knowing what you even want.

Actually I think it’s a great question and it’s never too early to start learning. Now that being said the answer to your question is there are a great many choices in gear. There are numerous container systems, many canopy manufactures of many different style canopies and reserves. There are jump suits, altimeters, helmets, AAD’s and other gear. Then of course there is used or new to add to your confusion. So what’s an excited up and coming jumper to do? Well start reading and talking to people about what they jump and why. Find out the difference between a 7 cell and a 9 cell, between a square, tapered and elliptical canopy. Look at the containers, all of them are airworthy so find one that A fits you best or B you find esthetically pleasing. Watch video of FF and FS and see what might appeal to you. There is a lot of information out there about gear. There is a lot of information on this site about gear. As you do your research you will learn a lot about gear and skydiving in general. When the time comes to buy you’ll have a pretty good idea of what you want. Start with something safe and comfortable that you can use for a couple hundred jumps. Safe being the key work here, good luck and enjoy your research. My first rig won’t help you much it was a military surplus 28’ round with a 7TU mod for steering. My first modern rig was a reflex container with a 175 Triathlon and a Raven 218 reserve with an aad. I really enjoyed that for about 150 jumps then started looking again. There are threads on here about people’s first rig and why they bought it so do a search and read all you can.

cloud9

Actually I think it’s a great question and it’s never too early to start learning. Now that being said the answer to your question is there are a great many choices in gear. There are numerous container systems, many canopy manufactures of many different style canopies and reserves. There are jump suits, altimeters, helmets, AAD’s and other gear. Then of course there is used or new to add to your confusion. So what’s an excited up and coming jumper to do? Well start reading and talking to people about what they jump and why. Find out the difference between a 7 cell and a 9 cell, between a square, tapered and elliptical canopy. Look at the containers, all of them are airworthy so find one that A fits you best or B you find esthetically pleasing. Watch video of FF and FS and see what might appeal to you. There is a lot of information out there about gear. There is a lot of information on this site about gear. As you do your research you will learn a lot about gear and skydiving in general. When the time comes to buy you’ll have a pretty good idea of what you want. Start with something safe and comfortable that you can use for a couple hundred jumps. Safe being the key work here, good luck and enjoy your research. My first rig won’t help you much it was a military surplus 28’ round with a 7TU mod for steering. My first modern rig was a reflex container with a 175 Triathlon and a Raven 218 reserve with an aad. I really enjoyed that for about 150 jumps then started looking again. There are threads on here about people’s first rig and why they bought it so do a search and read all you can.

ok, your reply makes me look like an ahole or am i just an ahole in general.
I agree with what you posted and that's what I meant to say.

Beer! :$

Look at the containers, all of them are airworthy so find one that A fits you best or B you find esthetically pleasing

:DYup, that's what matters.:D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One other thing to consider, is depending on where you are, if your DZ has a used gear store they can be a great resource. Instructors are as well, but a local store will have time on their hands to go over all your options and choices without being rushed to coach that next student if it's busy. One other consideration is a local store can help broker the deal and have your rigger inspect it so you don't get scammed on your first rig when you don't fully know what you're buying. IMHO always have a rigger inspect skydiving gear before you buy. Most honest sellers don't have a problem sending it to a reputable DZ to make sure everything they told you is accurate. Blues!

sundevil777

Look at the containers, all of them are airworthy so find one that A fits you best or B you find esthetically pleasing

:DYup, that's what matters.:D

Dude you forgot C, the one that saves you the most money! Come on....:D
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

I appreciate the comments ...

Yeah, ive been asking a lot of questions and the more I think about it, the more I want to be renting a rig at my DZ for a while... I think thats the best way to figure out what size i want ... So many people make comments about my height and weight and not knowing exactly what my WL is ...

Thanks...

Exactly what one of my instructors said ... the more i think about it, the more i just want to rent. As much as i'm bruised already from the student/rental gear, i know its decent and does what i want/need it to do..

Still too new at this to truly know anything... 7 jumps into my AFF and still loving every second of it.

I'm finally off sudent status ... 40 jumps in now, and i'm considering purchasing my own gear. Spoken to some manufacturers and certainly been keeping an eye open in the forums and classifieds section, but ...

Definitely tired of the bruises from student rental gear. Looking for something that is going to fit me --- 5'5" and 205.

I'm still downsizing my canopy, but want a container that is going to fit me better than student gear will and want a main and reserve that isn't crap.

Any advice/help would be awesome.
Thanks!

dmaline

I'm finally off sudent status ... 40 jumps in now, and i'm considering purchasing my own gear. Spoken to some manufacturers and certainly been keeping an eye open in the forums and classifieds section, but ...

Definitely tired of the bruises from student rental gear. Looking for something that is going to fit me --- 5'5" and 205.

I'm still downsizing my canopy, but want a container that is going to fit me better than student gear will and want a main and reserve that isn't crap.

Any advice/help would be awesome.
Thanks!

Grats. Now we're talking. 40 jumps in and you have a sense of what you want to do.
I agree with you on renting gear. But here's the kicker. IF and a big IF you are planning on downsizing your probably (PROBABLY) better off renting and learning on different canopies until you are comfortable with whatever size you are aiming for. Just saying.
You don't want to commit to a rig to later find out you want something smaller.

Classified is a hit or miss..more miss. If you want the skinny on used gear you might want to try your local DZ.

I disagree... Downsizing or not you should be flying the canopy that suits you now. Your going to bust out 100 jumps before your ready for a downsize so base your economics off that. It may be different in other parts of the world but here 100 jumps of rental gear almost buys you a rig - and then you can sell it when you downsize.

Just my opinion, I hate paying 'dead money'.

milehigheric

I disagree... Downsizing or not you should be flying the canopy that suits you now. Your going to bust out 100 jumps before your ready for a downsize so base your economics off that. It may be different in other parts of the world but here 100 jumps of rental gear almost buys you a rig - and then you can sell it when you downsize.

Just my opinion, I hate paying 'dead money'.

I agree!

100 jumps at 20 bucks a jump for rental is 2000 dollars. You can get a cheap used rig for that and when you are ready to downsize or get a whole new ri you now have stuff to sell. I've bought and sold 2 canopies, put about 150 jumps on each and resold them for the same price I bought them for. Buy some gear and you'll have way more fun!