bazelos

Tunel, then RAPS, or should I do RAPS first?

Well as I am not going to get alot (any..) freefall time in the first 6 or so jumps with RAPS, should I go train for a bit in a tunel before jumping? I want to totaly enjoy the freefall, not spin around :)
Edit: My bad, I didn't think of posting this at the tunel section, can a mod move it please?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I'd do the tunnel since it will help you.

My perfect training program has about 10 min of tunnel, one tandem, five SL jumps, 10 more mins of tunnel and then levels 4-7. Add in 5 low solos with spotting, and a packing class.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My perfect training program has about 10 min of tunnel, one tandem, five SL jumps, 10 more mins of tunnel and then levels 4-7. Add in 5 low solos with spotting, and a packing class.

I know I don't have the jumps to fully appreciate this, but I like it. I have never done SL of any tunnel time, but I have studied the benifets of ea as well as tandem and AFF. I have also been the one in the wrong course and wound up going back to another, blah blah blah. So I have some insite on why your course would work. I like it alot.

Do the tunnel first, then do AFF. Forget RAPS.

Why exactly ? I had the understanding that starting with static line was a good way to learn to handle the canopy first, then learn to handle the freefall, instead of doing both at once like with AFF. Which some people could prefer (Personally I'm thinking of it).

Or I am mistaken and is RAPS not the british word for SL and something else ?

Um, what's an SL jump? :$

So, is 10 minutes enough to ge me falling stable? Oh, and I would do AFF, it's just so much easier to do the RAPS (economically) so I will have to go for that. I found myself the skydiver's society of a near by university, they have £20 per RAPS jump, which is £16 less than what I would pay at Langar, so if I can go there I will be really good for progressing. :)
By the way, how cold is it up there? Say at around 2000-3000ft? Do I have to dress very warm?

Thanks

:)

By the way, how cold is it up there? Say at around 2000-3000ft? Do I have to dress very warm?

:)

Right now, pretty chilly! In the summer, not so much... depends on the weather :P

the Bedford tunnel is very warm though - I just had a T-shirt on under my jumpsuit and was almost too hot! B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

So if ground temperature is around 10 degrees, is it going to be less than 5 during the jump? I am not from around here and I get too cold :)

Oh, by the way, if I do manage to jump with the university, I could possibly do 5 jumps a day (yay!) how many can I (realistically) do? Are there any restrictions on students? Because with 5 a week I could be skydiving in a couple of months B|

I believe the max you're permitted to do per day as a student is 4. Good luck actually managing to fit 4 jumps a day in though. 2-3 is a more realistic number and then only if the weather's good and the DZ isn't incredibly busy.

As far as the temp is concerned you're looking at temperature dropping by about 2deg C per 1000ft... so on pure maths it's likely to be about 7deg colder at altitude on the average static line jump than it is on the ground. A full altitude jump this could mean it is as much as 20 or 30 degrees lower than ground temperature. ie the ambient air temp is probably going to be significantly below freezing.

However (big however) you then have to add in wind chill and the weather conditions which if there's a temperature inversion may even result in it being warmer at altitude than on the ground.

Generally though just count on it being "significantly colder"*... it's a pretty good rule of thumb. (*sometimes simply referred to as "fookin cold").

If you're getting £20 RAPS jumps and have the commitment (and I do mean commitment as completing RAPS will mean a number of weekends sat around on a windy/rainy/busy DZ waiting for a break in the cloud or an instructor to become available) it can be a good way to get qualified and spread out the costs.

AFF in the UK is very expensive and is held up by the same weather issues as RAPS. Traveling abroad takes a couple of weeks holiday and will probably cost about the same in the end. If you're serious about jumping now AFF is certainly the way to go... but that doesn't mean RAPS wont work for you... you'll certainly get a sense of achievement from it rather than perhaps the feeling that you just went and bought your licence.

Damn, I wish the UK had Africa's weather! And up north, you never see a cloudless day! Though to be fair it hasn't rained here for quite some time. What about the A/C, are they heated or not? I don't mean to sound like a big woman, but I don't think I can fit my big bad coat under the jumpsuit :D

From what I gather, as it's uni jumps, they should be during weekdays, so to lower the cost, surely it won't be as busy as weekends then?

And as much as I'd like to do the AFF, I can't, and one more is the reason you mentioned (with no disrespect the the jumpers that qualified with AFF) but it will probably feel more like mine achievement rather than just paying for it.

As per commitment, I am a very impulse person, if that makes sence, if I see something I like and want to do I will without a second though. But, my girl wants to do things with her, she's broke, I have to pay for her, so it's a balance between how much I spend between them lol.

Um, what's an SL jump?

Static Line...I think its pretty much the same program as RAPS.

So, is 10 minutes enough to ge me falling stable?

2 min should be enough. With 10 I can get most people stable, moving forward an back and turns....Some start side slides.

Get 10 it will make everything else much easier.

Dont' lsiten to the SL/RAPS haters. It is still a good way to learn and has many advantages over AFF. (No fear of low exits, most SL grads know how to spot much better than AFF grads)

Both programs are good, but if you go AFF do some low solos and learnto spot.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The tunnel is a tad expensive but I guess it's worth it, I don't want to learn everything in the tunnel, I just want to be able to fly stable, without looking like a statue (in most videos iv seen the students always have the same position and the slightest move of their hands gets them into an uncrontrolable spin!) and from the on learn moves while skydiving.

Anyway I hope I can join the nearby uni's team, it would be so much cheaper for me!

Hi.
I am progressing with RAPS and am on 15 sec delays. I did 10 mins tunnel time while I was still on dummy pulls and I think it would have been better to wait until after my first free fall. This is because being in the tunnel and free fall are quite different

Numbers of jumps in a day:
I have managed to get 4 jumps in on a few days, and 3 on the rest, but weather is the limiting factor, I have been to the DZ nearly every weekend since my first jumps and have only jumped on 5 occasions. 4 Jumps in a day is very tirering, some people can handel more, some less.

Jump tickets for £20:
Are you talking about jumping with Leeds at Hibaldstow?
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

And on the temperature:
I was jumping yesterday from 5500 - 6000 ft and it was a bit colder than on the ground (5deg) but with some wind chill - wear thermals under thick clothes and gloves and it is fine. The experienced guys jumping from 15000 ft said it was about -20 up there!
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

Jesus I am going turn into a popstickle!:o Well I am looking around for basic gear, alti, goggles, helmet, and jumpsuits, so I guess I can always get two jumpsuits, a warm one for the winter and a light one for the summer.

Yup, I am talking about Hibaldstow, see I am with Bradford uni, we don't have a team, Leeds does but I don't know if I can actually jump with them (if I can't I won't be able to do more than a jump per week....). But Hibaldstow is the closest DZ for me, they have the highest ceiling, so I migh as well learn and jump with them.

Are you learning with them?

Ps, do you have msn? Mine is [email protected] add me if you want :)

I started out on RAPS in the UK, and it is slow going at this time of year.
You have to be really determined, and be prepared for long weekends sat in the rain! (or practising exits, learning to pack, CH1 etc.)
Eventually it'll pay off, the clouds will break and you'll see that clear blue.

University clubs are a great way to get big discounts!
They should have there own gear which you can use, so you can hold off on buying your own for ages n ages.

I wouldn't waste your money on a tunnel, keep it for those good weather days!! You can visit the tunnel if your look like a bag in the wind on your 10-15 sec delays.

I'm with Liverpool University, we jump at the NWPC (Cark). We have RAPS courses @ £145 and jumps @ £25-30 each. You'd be welcome with us.
Liverpool University Skydivers

Yes, I am with Leeds. You don't need to think about equipment yet, it is included in the jump ticket price for student jumps and you have to wear the lovely green jumpsuits and orange helmets anyway. Talk to me on msn if you want to know who to contact to see about jumping with us.
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

As long as I am in the DZ, I don't mind what I do, I have so much to learn so weather is not a problem. I'd like to jump with Leeds, as the town is 20 minutes away, and all of traveling will cost me a mere £10 return and everything, but if I can't for whatever reason jump with Leeds I am glad I can jump with you guys.

edit- Hey, cool I just saw your reply, just add me whenever you can :D

I've recently done an AFF and USPA A-Licence. We did some tunnel time the day before we started AFF.

I don't think its strictly nessecary, but it gave me alot more confidence going into AFF. It also gives you a strong feeling for what real freefalling is like. You can try out the basic maneuvers like turns, forwards, backwards and even some fast and slowfall. You can even try some practice ripchord touches, which is brilliant. If your instructor is with you they can give you the same hand signals you will use during your freefall course. That thought me to react very quickly during the real AFF skydives.

As for how many jumps a day - from my own experiance, I found that the AFF jumps left me absolutely knackered, its alot of stress on your body and mind - theres alot to learn. I found 3 was almost to much. See how you feel on the day, but don't expect to go mad, cause you'll get fatigued very quickly. Take it at your own pace so you can absorb what you've learned.

If you find yourself hanging around the dropzone doing nothing, practice your exits, and also your body position for maneuvers. Get into position, close your eyes and hold it for 5 or 10 minutes. It teaches you muscle memory. What you do on the ground, you'll do in the air. I was stunned by how well that worked.