helge

What upgrades exists to our cessna 182?

If you plan to carry less fuel, be very careful to read the flight manual and make sure you are still going to have enough USEABLE fuel in the tanks. I know of one jump plane accident in an early model 182 caused by this. Useable fuel in level flight is (in older 182s) higher than it is in steep banks. The plane had enough fuel to meet VFR minimum fuel requirements IN LEVEL FLIGHT.

Apparently it went something like this...
During the descent, the engine sputtered. Pilot leveled off to check everything. Engine came back to normal. Pilot continued descent. Made too wide a pattern, and the engine quit while turning final. Plane crashed short of the runway. (Don't think the pilot was injured)

Fuel tanks were checked after the accident, and plenty of fuel was found in them. The flight manual solved the mystery.

I don't know all the details... just had a conversation with one of the investigators about it.

Just make sure that by flying with less fuel you aren't getting into a situation like that.

Dave

The diesel is a good engine but due to it's extra weight you may have to lose 1 jumper off your standard load.

From the SMA faq page:

Is your engine heavier?

Dry weight of the engine is 192 Kg/423 lbs and fully equipped is 221 Kg/487 lbs. So, our engine installed is heavier by approximately 40 pounds (as seen on the C-182 installation compared to an O-470). However this increased weight is compensated by the lower fuel requirement for a similar mission and the increased performance provided by the turbocharger.

Note : The fully equipped weight reflects the "installed" weight of a Cessna 182Q and other installations may vary in exact weight.

Looks like the 40 punds is not such a big problem as it easily can be compensated by carrying less fuel (lower consumption so same flight-time)

Wrote a mail to the dutch club, hope they can enlighten this further (on their web-page it says it takes 4 jumpers to 12.000ft)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The lower fuel consumption only helps on long flights.
For jump plane operations, you are still limited by the empty weight, plus minimum fuel load, then the weight of the jumpers.
Changing the engine does not change the minimum fuel load. You still need to carry enough fuel for 2 or 3 loads, plus a 30-45 minute reserve.
Flying without a 30 minute fuel reserve is just plain dangerous.
Heck!
ATC frequently tell us to orbit for 20 minutes!

helge

www.soloy.com

the other guy left out an O. I've flown a Soloy 207 quite a bit. It was a great jump plane. Easy to fly and good performance. But a little expensive.

In fact the plane on Soloys web site is the one i flew. It belonged to West Plains Skydiving in Spokane WA untill recently.

Ive also flown several 182's. Wing extensions are a great addition.

Thanks for the info. Definately something to consider. We fuel for 3 cycles (+30 min reserve) and also have limits on bank angles for the pilots.

Surely in co-ordinated turns this wouldn't be a problem as the a/c would be experiencing loading at 90 deg to the plane of the wings. So no agressive slips to final would be a good point. Still be wary of the descent angle, although due to the Vne we've set to avoid shock-cooling this should be ok.

The question is whether the turbo on that diesel requires as much care from the pilots as on, say, a turbo 206. I've no personal experience with turbo (not turbine, just in case anyone was wondering) operations, but I've been informed that it is not recommended for (relatively) low-time jump pilots, or in a situation where different pilots are swapping in and out of turbo and non-turbo a/c every other lift.

The reduced fuel thing mearly puts the diesel engined 182 back on the table. The main reason for looking at the Diesel is that in Europe Jet-A (or Avtur) costs about 1/3 the price of Avgas, coupled with the rumour that the TetraEthylLead additive in Avgas will stop production in less than 10 years. The initial cost of the engine is a bit much though. I think that we will probably opt for the 206 engine mod discussed in another thread.

Flying without a 30 minute fuel reserve is just plain dangerous.

Agreed, and entirely out of the question.

Heck!
ATC frequently tell us to orbit for 20 minutes!

Not a problem in our case. We operate under an ATC shelf which extends from 4000' to 18,000' (I think) and below that we are on airfield unicom. The airfield is owned and operated as a dropzone foremost and our aircraft have priority over everything except canopies and emergencies. Landing, apart from an extra orbit or two, is not a problem.

NOS™. You need NOS™. One of those, the big bottles. No, better make it two.....and you need 'em by tonight.

Sorry sorry sorry, someone had to make a Fast and Furious quote :ph34r:

Not sure but i think Bruce Bohanan's plane "Flyin' Tiger" runs Nitrous Oxide. He has set all kinds of time to climb records.

Wish we could run Nitrous Oxide in a piston jump plane.

Ben.

www.soloy.com

the other guy left out an O. I've flown a Soloy 207 quite a bit. It was a great jump plane. Easy to fly and good performance. But a little expensive.

In fact the plane on Soloys web site is the one i flew. It belonged to West Plains Skydiving in Spokane WA untill recently.

Interesting... Know the price for one of those? And are they FAA approved to go in a 182?

Also very interested in info regarding the Walter M601 E-11 engine.. Extremely cheap, very good performance and a long TBO...

It would take a long nose to install it in a skylane, but i've heard rumors that it has been done.. Anyone?

Helge

Also very interested in info regarding the Walter M601 E-11 engine.. Extremely cheap, very good performance and a long TBO...

It would take a long nose to install it in a Skylane, but i've heard rumors that it has been done.. Anyone?

Helge

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Walter turboprop engine looks like a Communist copy of a Pratt&Whitney of Canada PT6 engine. Communist-made Walter engines are available for several thousand dollars less than Canadian-made PT6 engines.
Several Supplementary Type Certificates allow you to install Walters in King Airs, crop dusters, etc.
I suspect that the Walter engine is too big/powerful for a Cessna 182, seeing as how PT6s start at 450 horsepower, while the Allison/Rolls Royce C250 starts at 250 horsepower.

Somebody earned at STC to install a PT6 engine in a Cessna 210 (almost the same airframe as a 206), but never sold very many. I suspect that the problem was high fuel consumption, similar to the PT6 conversion of the Republic Seabee. The PT6 consumes fuel at such an alarming rate that the turbine Seabee can barely carry two crew and fuel for 2 hours.

In comparison, the new Extra 500 - 6 seater - uses a Rolls Royce C250 engine similar to the C250 installed in Soloy's Cessna 206 and 207 conversions.

In conclusion, PT6 and Walter turbines are just too much engine for 6-seater airframes. You really need 9 or 18 skydivers to pay for a PT6 engine (Pilatus Porter or Cessna Caravan)
Allison/Rolls Royce C250 engines are more economical for 6-seater airplanes.

www.soloy.com

Interesting... Know the price for one of those? And are they FAA approved to go in a 182?

It would take a long nose to install it in a skylane, but i've heard rumors that it has been done.. Anyone?

Helge

The Soloy conversion is more than just an engine swap. it involves major airframe modifcation. So, no you could not put one on a 182. A Contintal IO-520 or 550 engine upgrade would be a much better choice.

most of my jumps are out of a Cessna 185. 20 min to altitude. Dont be an airplane snob. Skydiver used to be happy to jump out of a 172 at 8000 ft.

Ben.

... A Contintal IO-520 or 550 engine upgrade would be a much better choice.

I think the IO-520 or 550 is pretty much out of the question because of the high costs, and expensive fuel..
The SMA engine looks to be our best card now.. We still have about 4 years left on our current engine, so hopefully there will be a STC on the 300hp SMA engine before that..

most of my jumps are out of a Cessna 185. 20 min to altitude. Dont be an airplane snob. Skydiver used to be happy to jump out of a 172 at 8000 ft.

Ben.

True, but people also used to be happy with flying rounds and do nothing but belly.. When we reach TBO on our current engine, i think it is important to upgrade to keep activity up..

Helge

STC FOR SKYDIVING ON CESSNA 182

If you want to use you Cessna 182 for parachutists’ dropping, we have the right solution for you:
AFFORDABLE – for a fair price you can upgrade your plane, increasing its versatility and commercial value;
EASY TO INSTALL - we supply all the paperwork and any Part 145 workshop can perform the job.
Shall you prefer to do it with us, the people from our own Part 145 organisation will be glad to do it.
EASA APPROVED - This STC is fully EASA approved, so you won’t have to worry checking the EASA database to confirm whether the STC is validated or not.
FAST - When you decide to upgrade your aircraft you don’t want to wait for ages… and you don’t have to.
In a few days after you confirm your order, you’ll receive the paperwork in order to let you move forward with the modification.
If you prefer, we can do the all job in a working week.
PRACTICAL - Simple and practical is what you expect to have, so that’s what you’ll get!

Feel free to visit www.iac-aero.com for further information about the company.