helge

What upgrades exists to our cessna 182?

Not sure where to post this so put it here..

We have a Cessna 182 in our small club, and put about 150 hours/year on it.

When the time comes for a new engine in a couple of years, what options currently exists? Does anyone have experience with the new diesel engines i've seen mentioned a few places?

Our intentions are to get a higher ceiling (currently 10.000 ft) and a better climb rate. 13.000 ft in ~25+ minutes would be great, any suggestions?

We are currently fitting 4 persons in it, but I've heard of wing modifications allowing the 182 to carry 5 jumpers, info, links, and prices for such a mod is greatly appreciated..

I think that there are several existing threads on this topic.

There is a local DZ that did the Texas Skyways 550 conversion, wing extensions, speed breaks, on an 182a. I think that they put about $80,000 in the upgrades and since have had several issues. Have had to replace several cylinders starting at about 500 hours (I think), and I have heard that there are problems with the speed breaks including cracking ect. They go to 12,000 agl (13,500 msl) with it and it does climb well to that tude, but I question the logic of putting that much capital in a 1959 182 to increase the climb rate a little. Not to mention the increased maintenance cost!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Thanks for the links, do you have any personal experience with any of the engines?

Nope. I was just a poor flight instructor and while our club did have a fairly good fleet, it didn't have any aircraft that had exotic mods.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No, not really.. Just checking to see what alternatives are out there.. Then we'll choose from what we can afford..

Edit:

skydived19006: Did not see your first reply there.. Yes 80.000$ is quite a lot to put in such a old plane (ours is a '69)..

Very difficult to pick the correct amount to spend.. A bigger engine will give a quicker plane that will generate more traffic, which leads to more jumps and that may generate more profit..

Was hoping some of the smaller dz in US have been in this situation before and might have some info to share.. Or do they all just get a new plane? (Porter?) What other alternatives exists to get 4-5 jumpers to 13000 ft ASl within a reasonable time?

As for simelar threads I have been searching for them, but was not able to find them..

You'll definitely want to get in touch with Cessna Pilots Association. They're a great technical resource for this kind of upgrade. Costs a few bucks to join, but you'll make it back in a hurry.

Also, I know that Above the Poconos in Hazleton, PA flies a nicely modified 182 that sounds a lot like what you're interested in doing. Send an email to Darlene (see website for address), she might be able to help you out.

You're most likely looking for the 300 HP upgrade, wingtip extensions, and STOL kit. Micro vortex generators are another nice upgrade for 182's, they improve slow-speed handling and reduce stall speed.

Check out the ads in Trade-A-Plane for more ideas and pricing. Good luck with your upgrades.

Lance

My dad has a 180 that he somewhat recently put a 520 in out of a crashed plane. It has been pretty trouble free, and it was fairly cheap to begin with. If you didnt want to drop the money on a complete new motor, might be something to look at. btw, i was wondering where people go for those fold up doors, my dad sorta agreed to let me jump his plane when i get my A. thanks!

You might wanna get in touch with Forest McBride, last I heard he's at SD Temple flying Mean Green.

Mean Green is a narrowbody 182 with (if my memory serves me) a 300hp engine, 3-blade prop, wing extensions, STOL kit, droop tips and other things.

Basically its the fastest piston jumpplane 182 in the country.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You might wanna get in touch with Forest McBride, last I heard he's at SD Temple flying Mean Green.

Mean Green is a narrowbody 182 with (if my memory serves me) a 300hp engine, 3-blade prop, wing extensions, STOL kit, droop tips and other things.

This is all true although the last time I was up there it was painted red, white and blue and he now calls it Air Force 1.

I have worked in aviation for almost twenty years now and other than the DEA's turbine 206, Forrest's plane is the fastests I've seen yet.

Fitting 5 in our cessna will be tight, but doable..

Thanks for tons of info in this thread.. Will carefully consider all options available..

BTW, found a French company called SMA that currently is making Turbo Diesel Engines that uses A1 fuel..
http://www.smaengines.com/kitc.htm There seems to be a 300 hp edition on the drawing board..

Anyone in here flown a skylane(182) with the SMA 230hp thats currently available?

300hp A1 engine and wing extenders.. Now we're talking killer performance AND flight economics...

Edit:

Also found this great site for 182 upgrades:
[URL]http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/skylane0012.html[/URL]

Anyone in here flown a skylane(182) with the SMA 230hp thats currently available?

A dutch club has one ; you'll find emailadresses in the root of their URL. My guess is they understand and speak English. B|

From what I gather (heresay, gossip, rumours) there are 'childs-diseases'...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

The diesel is a good engine but due to it's extra weight you may have to lose 1 jumper off your standard load.

From the SMA faq page:

Is your engine heavier?

Dry weight of the engine is 192 Kg/423 lbs and fully equipped is 221 Kg/487 lbs. So, our engine installed is heavier by approximately 40 pounds (as seen on the C-182 installation compared to an O-470). However this increased weight is compensated by the lower fuel requirement for a similar mission and the increased performance provided by the turbocharger.

Note : The fully equipped weight reflects the "installed" weight of a Cessna 182Q and other installations may vary in exact weight.

Looks like the 40 punds is not such a big problem as it easily can be compensated by carrying less fuel (lower consuption so same flight-time)

Wrote a mail to the duch club, hope they can enlighten this furter (on their web-page it says it takes 4 jumpers to 12.000ft)

helge

does anyone know where I can find info on the 182 Turbine conversion?

-Blind

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No.

www.soly.com only lists turbine conversions for Cessna 206, 207 and 208 airplanes.

I do not know how you could get a turbine 182 to pay for itself with only 4 or 5 seats.

I do not know how you could get a turbine 182 to pay for itself with only 4 or 5 seats.

If you run the numbers, the cost of the 300 hp, the 3 bladed prop, the flap gap seals, aleron seals, STOL kit, wing extensions, etc...its hard to get that plane to pay for its self. Its a LOT of money.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Upgrading the engine is really only cost-effective when you are already paying out mega-bucks for an engine overhaul.
Few airplane owners install bigger engines except when their old engine is worn out/time-expired.

As for STOL kits, wing tip extensions, etc. I remember a conversation with Van Pray Senior, extolling the virtues of the Sportsman STOL kit installed on his Cessna 206. Van believed that the flap gap seals easily paid for themselves during their first year. By minimizing leakage between the high pressure area under the wing into the low pressure area on top, they increase rate of climb a bit.

Van also said that STOL kits only help rate of climb if they increase wing area.
There are two ways to increase wing area. The Sportsman STOL kit increases wing area by extending the leading edge another 4-6 inches forward. The Sportsman STOL kit seems to help the most on Cessna 206s. It may only increase rate of climb by 50 feet per minute, but that extra 50 fpm adds up by the end of the year.

The other way to increase wing area is to install extended wing tips (Flint Aero or those guys from Quebec).