mx_maniac

What's with these USPA rules? Are they really necessary?

I am a man of many many hobbies. Skydiving is one of them.

Between my other hobbies and life obligations, I just don't have the time or money to go skydiving constantly like some people do. Ideally I'm more of a once every 6 months type of guy. So far I've been about 15 times over about 5 years, and completed AFF.

Anyways, I keep getting slapped with a bunch of stupid rules. Like...

1. My DZ always wants to me to subscribe to this stupid uspa membership, and get this worthless magazine. Waste of money, is this really needed?
2. My DZ does not want me to wear a gopro on my helmet. They claim I need a B license? Really? Is this a requirement, or is my DZ being lame? Its just a set it and forget it camera which does nothing to affect performance. In fact, you learn better when you can review your jump later.
3. When its been awhile since my last jump, they want me to do coach jumps. Another DZ claimed if it even goes 30 days past my last jump I need coach jumps, said some USPA requirement or something. Really? Not trying to sound cocky or anything, but even if its been 6-12 months, I know what I'm doing, I haven't forgotten anything. Whether its been 25 days, or 12 months, its no different.

So what's the deal? Are these sort of rules standard all over, or are my DZ's just being lame? Are there ways to get around any of this stuff?

Its spoiling the hobby for me. I just want to go for an occasional jump, and wear a gopro to film it, without dealing with a bunch of BS, extra charges, re-doing coach jumps, etc.

Bowling has very few rules. They even let you wear these really cool shoes, which they supply. Plus, it's way cheaper than skydiving. And, except for DZ's and Wal Marts, it's the only place where you can meet this "quality" of peeps. :)
When no one is looking, you can even throw the ball into the lane next to you. ... I'm just saying...

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Man it sounds like your local dz's are conspiring to withhold you of your god given right to enjoy the sky. Those greedy bastards are after one thing only, your money! I bet if you called them out on it they'd only make excuses like its for your safety and to protect their liability, what kind of selfish crap is that?

There is a way around it though. Nothing says anyone has to be a uspa member to jump in the us. The airplane market is pretty depressed right know, I've seen some really nice 182s going for 30-40 grand. You could always pick one up, find an airport that'll let you jump at it, hire a pilot and jump with all the fuckin cameras you want! Hell advertise here that anyone that knows what theyre doing can jump with all the cameras they want no matter how current they are. People will be flocking to your dz! Shit at $25 a jump you'll be rich in no time.

Your DZO is required by his agreement with the airport for you to be a USPA member so when you are busy GoProing jump 16 and go in on top of a parked airplane because you are uncurrent and snag your pilot chute on your camera he will have third party liability insurance to cover the damage. Sorry you won't get to read about it in that crappy magazine.

Yes, you can get around this, when the guy opening the new DZ in Cambodia gets going, jump there.

mx_maniac

Between my other hobbies and life obligations, I just don't have the time or money to go skydiving constantly like some people do. Ideally I'm more of a once every 6 months type of guy. So far I've been about 15 times over about 5 years, and completed AFF.

1. My DZ always wants to me to subscribe to this stupid uspa membership, and get this worthless magazine. Waste of money, is this really needed?
2. My DZ does not want me to wear a gopro on my helmet. They claim I need a B license? Really? Is this a requirement, or is my DZ being lame? Its just a set it and forget it camera which does nothing to affect performance. In fact, you learn better when you can review your jump later.
3. When its been awhile since my last jump, they want me to do coach jumps. Another DZ claimed if it even goes 30 days past my last jump I need coach jumps, said some USPA requirement or something. Really? Not trying to sound cocky or anything, but even if its been 6-12 months, I know what I'm doing, I haven't forgotten anything. Whether its been 25 days, or 12 months, its no different.

So what's the deal? Are these sort of rules standard all over, or are my DZ's just being lame? Are there ways to get around any of this stuff?

Its spoiling the hobby for me. I just want to go for an occasional jump, and wear a gopro to film it, without dealing with a bunch of BS, extra charges, re-doing coach jumps, etc.

Joey? Is that you? :S

I just want to go for an occasional jump, and wear a gopro to film it, without dealing with a bunch of BS, extra charges, re-doing coach jumps, etc.

So should DZs cater to you, the occasional jumper, or should they cater towards the jumpers who spend considerably more time and money at the DZ.

I, for one, would prefer it if people could not just walk in off the street, in-experienced and un-current. and just jump any way they please. I have to share an airplane, landing pattern and landing area with everyone who jumps at my DZ, and I like to know that they have met a minimum level of training, experience, and currency before being cut loose to skydive alongside me.

Well, I am NOT a troll. This was a serious question.

Let me ask this, does anybody "agree" with my point of view, that these rules I mentioned are stupid and excessive?

Also, what percentage of DZ's do require USPA membership? Is it common to find ones that don't? I just think its a worthless fee for a magazine that gets tossed, and extremely limited insurance. I already have better coverage under my homeowners insurance umbrella policy.

I can agree with concerns of not wanting just anybody jumping with them. However there is a huge difference between un-trained, and un-current. I am trained, I've been through AFF. Whats the big difference if my last jump was 29 days ago, or 6 months ago? My skill, and knowledge does not just suddenly drop from my head after 30 days.

I just read the SIM that someone recommended, it was helpful. I didn't see anywhere where it said a b class license is needed for helmet cams, so guessing thats just a dumb rule of my DZ.

And the bowling comment, that was hilarious.

What you need to do is to start BASE jumping. No dumb rules and you can wear as many GoPro's as you want. Plus the videos you get will look helluva lot more awesome on facebook then some boring 50 seconds of freefall on solo student jump videos.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

mx_maniac

Let me ask this, does anybody "agree" with my point of view, that these rules I mentioned are stupid and excessive?

No. Either jump regularly enough to maintain a level of currency, or quit completely. To turn up and do one jump every few months is not a safe way to skydive.

Start BASE jumping. If you make your own gear (I believe it's difficult to buy the gear from manufacturers without the right experience and references) then you can avoid all the USPA problems.

I'll keep an eye out for you on the Blinc Fatality List - what's your name?

mx_maniac

mx_maniac

Well, I am NOT a troll. This was a serious question.

Also, what percentage of DZ's do require USPA membership? Is it common to find ones that don't? I just think its a worthless fee for a magazine that gets tossed, and extremely limited insurance. I already have better coverage under my homeowners insurance umbrella policy.

I can agree with concerns of not wanting just anybody jumping with them. However there is a huge difference between un-trained, and un-current. I am trained, I've been through AFF. Whats the big difference if my last jump was 29 days ago, or 6 months ago? My skill, and knowledge does not just suddenly drop from my head after 30 days.

I just read the SIM that someone recommended, it was helpful. I didn't see anywhere where it said a b class license is needed for helmet cams, so guessing thats just a dumb rule of my DZ.

And the bowling comment, that was hilarious.

Currency is important. You wouldn't imagine a marathon runner saying he trained 6 months ago, so he is 'fit and ready' to go - it's the same with jumping.

If you want to do a couple of jumps a year, not bother with rules and have camera, we have a wonderful new mode of skydiving specially made for you - its called Tandem:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.