Reddog75

Accuracy training

Hello all,
I would like to work on my accuracy on landings.
The whole concept of looking for that point on the ground that isn't moving is where you'll land, is a skill acquired with experience.

I only get to jump 1 weekend a month at best, and this does not help.

If there were a compilation of POV straight in landings
on-line I figure this would be a big help in training the eye in a non-stressed environment. I do realize there is way more to a good landing than just the final approach but its a simple exercise that can be done on the ground.

You-Tube is hit and miss for the right POV.

I don't have a huge problem with landings but I would like to 'nail-it' more often than not.

Thanks for reading.

I can recall as a student with less than 10 jumps that i had read the book A Parachute And It's Pilot, when I went for my next jump. I was doing SL training and I told the instructor, "See that box (trash) out on the field, that is my target". I was on my base leg and I was watching the box/target. My thought process was, "If I turn toward it now, will I land there?" Suddenly the answer was, Yes, and I turned. I came in about 20 feet short. Yes, largely luck, but the concept is pretty simple. Every second of the landing pattern should be about, what will it look like after I turn and when should I make that turn.

As you get experience, it should be almost second nature to go where you want to go, within some reason. If you fly a good pattern others will thank you, even if you miss your target a bit.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

>>>I only get to jump 1 weekend a month at best, and this does not help

This is going to make it very difficult given that each time you jump could have different wind directions, temp variations, etc. For now, continue to try each month. Is it financially possible for you to do two Hop-N-Pops vs. one skydive, wherein you can focus on the windline and your accuracy?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's a Cessna DZ. I get on every load I can regardless of alt.
I'm just stoked to learn too really fly my new canopy.
I was just racking my brain on any little thing I can do at home in the mean time to help. Hence the 'target spotting video' idea.
Thanks.

hillson

He's mathematically wrong on the stuff in the examples in exercise 3 and 4. When one isn't on a heading that gives a ground path directly at the target, the moving up or down of the target is not directly related to whether one is too far or not. It takes some fiddling with simplified 3-D flight calculations to prove this to oneself.

You can be higher and closer on base leg than needed, and as one flies in towards the wind line, and you sink over time, the target may be moving up in your field of vision. His method suggests that you should turn in towards the target to avoid undershooting. But really you are just burning off excess altitude and may end up at the right spot once you hit the wind line.

But, despite his oversimplification, a lot about his document (quite a few years old now) is decent.

Where to turn base leg is a big determinant of where you will land. If you don't have to follow some other traffic exactly, then the other area where you get to adjust your landing point is through adjusting the way you turn base and final -- As TK shows, you can 'cut the corners' entering and exiting the base leg, or perhaps you can even swing a little wide. Being able to judge the up and down movement of the target instinctively is still very useful. (...even if its motions during downwind and base are not a mathematically correct guide as to whether you are too high or low or need to turn more towards the target).

Before doing your downwind and base you should have already determined an approximate angle that your canopy will fly on final. That could be from a guess before the jump -- "Based on what I see other canopies doing, I'll probably be coming down at about a 60 degree angle in that wind!" Or you'll have an estimate from a wind check before entering the circuit -- "My descent angle is about 60 degrees here at 1200', and although winds tend to drop with altitude, the wind socks show it is still blowing strong down there, so I'll aim to hit the wind line for final no shallower than about 60 degrees elevation from the target"

Reddog75

Hello all,
I would like to work on my accuracy on landings.
The whole concept of looking for that point on the ground that isn't moving is where you'll land, is a skill acquired with experience.

I only get to jump 1 weekend a month at best, and this does not help.

If there were a compilation of POV straight in landings
on-line I figure this would be a big help in training the eye in a non-stressed environment. I do realize there is way more to a good landing than just the final approach but its a simple exercise that can be done on the ground.

You-Tube is hit and miss for the right POV.

I don't have a huge problem with landings but I would like to 'nail-it' more often than not.

Thanks for reading.

These are not entirely "straight in", but I try to fly a normal pattern, which is a bit low at times. I tried to provide a mix of some good and some not so good examples. You might try to predict or to "see" where I am headed before I get there. I am not sure if this is what you asked for or how it will help, but maybe it will.

http://youtu.be/gFMhsU8Y560
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Buy a digital alti (a great aid when working on accuracy).
Log the altitude of your turns and the winds. Over time you'll build a sense for it.
People signing your logbook will make fun of you, "are you logging phone numbers?", joyously tell them to fuck off. They'll get the memo and respect you for that.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.