FallingRGR

Shoes To Wear, and Foot Fractures

I have read a few articles on preferred shoes to wear but still am looking for an answer. So far I have jumped in a minimalist style shoe, a general running shoe, and a "skateboarding shoe". Had good and bad landings with each but almost every time I get a bone tingling sensation in my feet and this is landing on grass. Its almost as if I'm creating small stress fractures. Would this have anything to do with footwear? Or do I just need to focus more on proper flare?

Based only on the knowledge of my shitty landings last year, if you feel like you're fracturing bones on each landing you're probably doing something wrong and you should probably go over your landing with an instructor ASAP to find out what.

Most people I know seem to jump in sneakers and never complain. Landings don't have to be that hard. Once I got to the point where I could stand up consistently I switched to ninja boots but they have much less padding than sneakers do. They are much nicer for stealth once you land on top of the building and have to enter the ventilation system, though. Unless the bad guys thought include a "wet tile" zone. Then they're like "SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!" Wet tile, the one natural weakness of the ninja!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Not really enough info to go off here. People watching your landings could tell you miles more than the internet. Seriously without seeing you land it's just opinion and speculation. Have you asked your instructors or up jumpers at your dz for their opinions, if so what did they say?

My opinion though is that shoes are far less important than gear and technique. What kind of canopy are you jumping, how many jumps are on it and the line set, what's your wing loading? Not trying to be mean or dissuade you from asking questions, but getting someone to shoot video of your landings would make it possible to critique your landings.

I have had the coaches watch my landings. And from what I can gather from a limited number of jumps and their advice is either I'm not flaring smoothly enough or stabbing the brakes. I've been taking up a different canopy several times one right after the other which may attribute to the inconsistencies. One was a Pilot 210 and the other a Fusion 190. I could definitely tell the difference in flare and how they landed but not quick enough to pull off the proper flare for that canopy which I'm sure comes with experience. Next time I'm out I will be sure to take a video.

The two big problems I had were that I was riding my brakes down on final and was not looking out to the horizon like they tell you to. I didn't get a decent stand-up landing until my mid-50s though. I was so bad at landing I actually committed to PLF several landings just so I could improve my PLF. Landing's difficult, and it's hard to describe what has to take place in the course of a second or two in order for them to work correctly. At some point they just click and then you can do it. *shrug*

It feels like somewhat tired advice, but if you haven't had a canopy course yet, maybe do one of those. See if you can find a beginner level one to work on basic stuff out of the SIM (flat turns, riser flight, finding your best glide rate, etc) along with a focus on pattern improvement and landing. The beginner level canopy courses here include a video review of each landing. You'll need one for your B anyway, if you're planning on getting one around 50 jumps.

You could also potentially just do a few hop-and-pops and do some practice flares above your decision altitude to get a feel for how the canopy you're flying handles. I had the same problem with inconsistent canopies for a long time, as I could go 10 jumps on 10 different canopies and never see the same one twice. I finally got it down to two canopies I really liked to fly and found landings to be a lot easier at that point. Now that I'm on my own gear, I'm getting used to that very quickly.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Good, now there's some info to form an opinion off of. Now I'm just some random asshole you've never met offering useless information on the www so take my info for what it's worth, absolutely nothing... Listen to your instructors, and tell them your issues.

If your flaring too low and "panick stabbing" your brakes, you'll definatley feel it in your feet regardless of what shoes you wear. I'd like to say flare slower and 5 or so feet higher, but I'd be afraid you'd over do it and sink it in from 30-40 feet and really hurt yourself, so I won't offer any advise. Who knows who I am and what I really know, I'm just some random dude on the Internet . Bring your instructors a case of beer after jumping is done and ask for their opinions, hell forget the beer and just ask them! If you don't trust them enough to help you, check out some other drop zones around you, nobody here can help you more than the people that have seen all of your jumps to date.

FallingRGR

I have had the coaches watch my landings. And from what I can gather from a limited number of jumps and their advice is either I'm not flaring smoothly enough or stabbing the brakes. I've been taking up a different canopy several times one right after the other which may attribute to the inconsistencies. One was a Pilot 210 and the other a Fusion 190. I could definitely tell the difference in flare and how they landed but not quick enough to pull off the proper flare for that canopy which I'm sure comes with experience. Next time I'm out I will be sure to take a video.

First of all don't be afraid to PLF. Other than that the advice to get feedback from instructors is good. BTW I broke my foot on landing about 20 years ago and it still gets painful.

For what it is worth I jump in sneakers, but I've jumped in sandals when I've forgotten my normal jump shoes. The sneakers are easier on my feet. Also my sandals are under RW booties so I'm not worried about ripping a toe offB|
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Probably not a shoe issue that you are facing... as it was said from most everyone, it's your landing technique that you need to work on.

I was quite lucky, or maybe I have a good landing technique.. but only during my AFF I was facing constantly landings on PLFs... everytime was a different problem... falring too soon, not flaring enough.. lack of flaring.. bad lading position (not facing the wind properly), etc etc... until one day, my coach suggested me to keep practicing my flares up there in the air.. 9-pull exercises! that was really good!!!

Pulling in different speeds, and different levels, and check what the canopy is doing! that really helped me to understand how my canopy was reacting to my pulls..

After that, I did about 50 jumps.. and since them, I think I had 2 or 3 Non-Standup landings only... I'm almost prepared for a PLF.. I wouldn't like to have one (my f**** ego!!!), but I wouldn't try to be cool and have a bad landing, only to avoid a PLF in front of other people at the DZ..

Anyway, my advice is to keep training you flares up there, that will give you a good idea about how your canopy flies!

Have fun, be safe!

FallingRGR

I have read a few articles on preferred shoes to wear but still am looking for an answer. So far I have jumped in a minimalist style shoe, a general running shoe, and a "skateboarding shoe". Had good and bad landings with each but almost every time I get a bone tingling sensation in my feet and this is landing on grass. Its almost as if I'm creating small stress fractures. Would this have anything to do with footwear? Or do I just need to focus more on proper flare?

It's not your shoes...i know people who wear sandals, flip flops, and even go barefooted.
Ideally, you should be PLF'ing your landings. Or talk to your instructors to get feedback. Or a canopy course is in order.

Ideally, you should be PLF'ing your landings. Or talk to your instructors to get feedback. Or a canopy course is in order.

Excellent advice. If your landings hurt, until you can make them not hurt, just roll with the landing.

It's way more embarrassing to break yourself than to roll out a landing. I agree that your flare probably isn't all that, but until you sort it out, make sure you land in a way that you can walk away from the jump.

I fall down regularly. That way I get to walk away from all my jumps.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For what it is worth: Few years ago i had a small foot fracture when landing in turbulent conditions and wearing sandals.
Since that time i wear running shoes. I think it give a better shock absorbtion.

It's like a full face helmet, you may not see the utility until you receive a foot on the face!

***I have had the coaches watch my landings. And from what I can gather from a limited number of jumps and their advice is either I'm not flaring smoothly enough or stabbing the brakes. I've been taking up a different canopy several times one right after the other which may attribute to the inconsistencies. One was a Pilot 210 and the other a Fusion 190. ..."

Try doing adozne jumps on the same canopy.

jpforget

It's like a full face helmet, you may not see the utility until you receive a foot on the face!

That's not far from the truth..i started wearing FF helmet when i funneled an exit and literally had some dude's balls on my face for a split second...never again man.[:/]

normiss

I disagree.

I've made hundreds of barefoot jumps.

Learn to properly land a parachute. ;)

i disagree; just ask the instructor that had both hips replaced at the age of 35.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

***I disagree.

i disagree; just ask the instructor that had both hips replaced at the age of 35.. :S

Haha, you realise that your post in no way contradicts Normis post, all it implies is the instructor needs to...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

******I disagree.

Haha, you realise that your post in no way contradicts Normis post, all it implies is the instructor needs to...

sometimes it only needs a hole in the ground covered in grass.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda