frogerina

To the boogie??

So my DZ is starting up a weeklong boogie this week. I'm just an AFF student -- the one who jumps weekday afternoons or early Saturdays to be in uncrowded skies. I hadn't planned to attend this year, as I'm really not ready to be in those busy skies, even if there is a willing AFFI nearby.

Generally, I go by myself to do my jumps (hubs is definitely earth-bound!) and I'm getting to know a few of the staff...casually (in a "I've seen you around here before...which jump is it for you?" way). Today one of the TI's asked if I was coming to the Boogie, and really encouraged me to come up.

I know I'd not be jumping (my confidence is growing...but I really don't want to crash into someone who knows what they are doing!) but I wouldn't mind seeing the Demo on Saturday night, the fireworks, walking by the vendor's booths and dreaming...

But if I'm not jumping, do I suddenly become an honorary (not) whuffo? Is this something to wait a year for -- when I'll (hopefully) have my license and have started to know more folks around the place?

I'm torn...

frogerina

So my DZ is starting up a weeklong boogie this week. I'm just an AFF student -- the one who jumps weekday afternoons or early Saturdays to be in uncrowded skies. I hadn't planned to attend this year, as I'm really not ready to be in those busy skies, even if there is a willing AFFI nearby.

Generally, I go by myself to do my jumps (hubs is definitely earth-bound!) and I'm getting to know a few of the staff...casually (in a "I've seen you around here before...which jump is it for you?" way). Today one of the TI's asked if I was coming to the Boogie, and really encouraged me to come up.

I know I'd not be jumping (my confidence is growing...but I really don't want to crash into someone who knows what they are doing!) but I wouldn't mind seeing the Demo on Saturday night, the fireworks, walking by the vendor's booths and dreaming...

But if I'm not jumping, do I suddenly become an honorary (not) whuffo? Is this something to wait a year for -- when I'll (hopefully) have my license and have started to know more folks around the place?

I'm torn...

First off: Go. It'll be fun either way. Make friends to jump with later when you're licensed and traveling. Nobody's likely to give you shit for being a student. We were all students at the beginning, and we're all still learning one way or another.

Second: Talk to your instructors, it's entirely possible you might be able to do a student jump on the first load of the day since the other plane(s) won't be in the air yet (assuming multi-aircraft boogie).
cavete terrae.

Volunteer to help with things at the boogie. Keep your eyes open and watch what goes on. Introduce yourself to everyone and try to make a jump or two when it is slower, like the earlybird load with the only few sober jumpers.:P

You'll meet a lot of new friends and see what it's all about for next time.

Volunteer to help with things at the boogie. Keep your eyes open and watch what goes on. Introduce yourself to everyone and try to make a jump or two when it is slower, like the earlybird load with the only few sober jumpers.Tongue

You'll meet a lot of new friends and see what it's all about for next time.

This. Works every time -- you get to know some people, you watch some skydiving, and you ingratiate yourself with the people putting the boogie on (who are also the people assigning instructors etc).

It's one way to become part of the family.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Simple- Go and have fun:)
I went to a few boogies as a student and met a lot of new people I later ended up being able to jump with once I got my license

Bry.

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Got my "A" in the middle of a Boogie at my home DZ. You will be pulling higher and the instructors and experienced jumpers will look out for you. Relax and have fun.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

This will be my Girl friends first real boogie too. She only has 56 jumps but is a little nervous as she has only jumped at our home DZ (SkyDive PA) since getting her license. I have been to a couple this year and my first one was in Georgia for the Saint Patties day boogie and at the time I only had 35 jumps. I went, had a blast, and made some friends. Super glad I went! You should go for sure even if only to meet new friends!
Lovin every second of it!

Check and see if student gear is even going to be available. In years past they have restricted the rental rigs to jumpers that have reserved it due to the high demand. Plans are for 4 planes to be running all weekend starting on Thursday so come on out and hang out but do not be surprised if the decision is made not to let non-licensed jumpers jump just due to the potentially high number of jumpers in the air and that the front landing area is going to be closed off for most jumpers so everyone will be landing in the student or the middle field.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

frogerina

I checked, and there's not going to be AFF available during the boogie...which is probably a good thing for all of us. ;) Which kind of goes back to my original thought...give it a bye this year, or come try to meet some folks and start making connections?

It's a social activity, be social!
cavete terrae.

grue

***I checked, and there's not going to be AFF available during the boogie...which is probably a good thing for all of us. ;) Which kind of goes back to my original thought...give it a bye this year, or come try to meet some folks and start making connections?

It's a social activity, be social!

And take the other earlier advice: see if there is some way you can help out the DZ. Just being around the event, helping out, meeting new people and listening to the chatter will help you in your AFF, as well as set you up with more friends in the community. Trust me, it's worth it!
:)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I'll take a different approach to this.
Don't go. Why? Well, you might get all depressed that everyone is having fun, jumping together, maybe sleeping together, etc. Basically, you'll be all bum'ed out that you're not jumping. Would you really realistically be having as much fun just watching others jump and talk about their jump, walking through the vendors and knowing you can't demo stuff, etc. This might now be your personality, but 2 weeks ago i saw a student grounded due to winds (strong enough to ground a student). But everyone was still jumping, having a great time, talking about their 60 second freefall, etc. But this one student totally looked bum'ed out cuz i knew he couldn't join the fun. No one at the DZ (that i saw) came up to him to just chit chat..maybe it was up to the dude to come up to us and start a chit chat....but my point is he was totally bored and bum'ed out.

On the other hand sure you'll make friends, get to know people, get to talk with the staff, etc. You'll have plenty of time to get to know people, talk with the staff, etc. AND this is not the only boogie..there will be more, i garontee.

Helping out? For free? A great man once told me, "if you're good at something, never do it for free".

Well according to OP, OP won't be jumping.

It's be up to the DZ to let students jump during a boogie weekend. Personally, i don't see why a student can't jump during a boogie; get into the plane in the correct exit order, pull at the correct altitude, land safely.

wasatchrider

so let me get this straight they do not let students jump at their own dz during a boogie? Serious question I have never been to a boogie before.

Sometimes, yeah.

Couple common reasons.

1) There's increased activity at the DZ, with multiple planes, jump runs stacked on top of each other, etc., and the dropzone has just decided it's simpler not to try to add student operations into that mix. Dropzones restrict a lot of things during boogies that they allow normally, because of the added complexity that multiple aircraft can add. Doesn't mean it can't be done safely, they've just chosen to keep the equation simpler.

2) They want to give their staff a chance to play at the boogie, so rather than relying on them to work with students, they're given the opportunity to have fun while there's special aircraft, organizers, friends in from out of town, etc.

I will definitely add to the chorus of voices encouraging the OP to volunteer - DZs need more support during the boogie, and chances are they will welcome more volunteers to help out. A lot of what's needed at a boogie doesn't require any special skills or skydiving experience, but will be a great way for you to be at the dropzone and meet people.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions and thoughts! Our DZ has stopped AFF during the boogie for all the reasons listed above. I really appreciate the time and care (and more time!) each of my instructors has taken with me there on my AFF jumps...but I agree they should have opportunities to play and enjoy themselves. Some of the AFFIs are also doing organizing, etc. through the boogie. I'll get back to starting Cat E soon enough (and I'd like to not have the whole skydiving world witness my truly splendid beginner PLFs...)

Meanwhile, they are still doing tandems during the boogie, and my college-aged daughter texted me and asked if she could have a mother-daughter tandem as her upcoming 20th birthday present. She'll be home for the weekend...so I booked us a couple of tandems for this Saturday. (It will be her first skydive. Aww...something for the baby book!) So at least I'll get to be in the sky (and I plan to ask the TI if I can be more involved in this jump...maybe with hand-over-hand guidance I can actually figure out the perfect time to flare!?!?!).

We'll see if it's feasible to join in and help out while we're there (maybe we can work for free dinner and a t-shirt!) and plan to hang around for the demo show and fireworks (but then I'll get her underaged and well-supervised by her momma bear self out of there...then again, she is a college junior...oh, the things I don't wanna know...).

GooniesKid

I'll take a different approach to this.
Don't go. Why? Well, you might get all depressed that everyone is having fun, jumping together, maybe sleeping together, etc. Basically, you'll be all bum'ed out that you're not jumping. Would you really realistically be having as much fun just watching others jump and talk about their jump, walking through the vendors and knowing you can't demo stuff, etc. This might now be your personality, but 2 weeks ago i saw a student grounded due to winds (strong enough to ground a student). But everyone was still jumping, having a great time, talking about their 60 second freefall, etc. But this one student totally looked bum'ed out cuz i knew he couldn't join the fun. No one at the DZ (that i saw) came up to him to just chit chat..maybe it was up to the dude to come up to us and start a chit chat....but my point is he was totally bored and bum'ed out.

On the other hand sure you'll make friends, get to know people, get to talk with the staff, etc. You'll have plenty of time to get to know people, talk with the staff, etc. AND this is not the only boogie..there will be more, i garontee.

Helping out? For free? A great man once told me, "if you're good at something, never do it for free".

Bad advice. Hope you never frap in at a DZ when I'm there, unless you're gonna pay:P

Helping out is the way to go. Folks that volunteer at my place usually end up with a few jump tickets.

You should totally go. If you don't like it, you can always go home early. I'm going to bet that you'll like it!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

You should totally go. If you don't like it, you can always go home early. I'm going to bet that you'll like it!

I am going Saturday to take my daughter for her first tandem! (She asked for this for her birthday...uh, oh -- this is how things all started for me...) I've warned her that there will be some hanging out time as well...but there will be fireworks and a demo show.

We are very excited for our mother-daughter tandem. (Shucks -- I couldn't let her go up all alone, now could I? ;)...and besides, maybe I can get some additional canopy piloting lessons from my TI!)

GooniesKid

but 2 weeks ago i saw a student grounded due to winds (strong enough to ground a student). But everyone was still jumping, having a great time, talking about their 60 second freefall, etc. But this one student totally looked bum'ed out cuz i knew he couldn't join the fun. No one at the DZ (that i saw) came up to him to just chit chat..maybe it was up to the dude to come up to us and start a chit chat....but my point is he was totally bored and bum'ed out.

So you saw this and paid enough attention that it's on your mind 2 weeks later and you didnt "chit chat", Classy
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am going Saturday to take my daughter for her first tandem!

How fun! Let us know how it goes!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon