rsb5267

Can you say, unjustified bias?

Advice (take with a grain of salt):

1) Go over the head of the person and ask more questions
2) If they still say no, you can still form a "group" and call it "The unofficial [university] aerial arts association" or something absurd.

get friends together, jump, and realize you'll be out of college before you ever get an academic institution to make changes....
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Personally I think skydiving is more fun when it's disorganized... not every battle is worth fighting IMO.

I stopped telling people I jumped quite some time ago unless someone asks me if I've ever done a tandem or something of that nature. It's generally not going to net you anything in the corporate world by seeming like some sort of adrenaline junky.

I don't mix my school, work, or recreational friends, hobbies, etc together.

my $0.02
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

rohicks

******Contacted an administrator to attempt to get a skydiving club started at my University. I attached the response. I could practically taste the bias in her response.

I'm astounded that any college students can afford skydiving, especially enough of them to form a club. Wow. Good for you if you can make it work!
College loans...

More like Daddy's credit card...

rohicks

******Contacted an administrator to attempt to get a skydiving club started at my University. I attached the response. I could practically taste the bias in her response.

I'm astounded that any college students can afford skydiving, especially enough of them to form a club. Wow. Good for you if you can make it work!
College loans...

College loans.? Thats some funny shit and the worst advice I, ve heard since a TM suggested it to a potential student.

Do you understand the concept of cradle to beyond the grave debt that a cosigner of your loan will be stuck with after your dead.

It, s a debt that even bankruptcy won't be able to erase.

Some people used to think of their income tax overpayment as free money, now its been replaced by the student loan.

R.I.P.

debt that even declareing
One Jump Wonder

mattjw916

Personally I think skydiving is more fun when it's disorganized... not every battle is worth fighting IMO.

I stopped telling people I jumped quite some time ago unless someone asks me if I've ever done a tandem or something of that nature. It's generally not going to net you anything in the corporate world by seeming like some sort of adrenaline junky.

I don't mix my school, work, or recreational friends, hobbies, etc together.

my $0.02

As a woman in a very male-dominated industry (Wall St) I find that mentioning skydiving makes them call into question all the assumptions they have placed upon me as a woman. It also helps to make me a bit more memorable with clients. For me, it is helpful but I work in a strange, strange world.

Back on topic, if you really want to have an officially sanctioned club at your school I would suggest walking an informed middle ground with the next level up in the chain. Present a list of other schools, I'd look for peers and above in both academics and endowment, and mention that risk management hasn't presented these institutions from having a skydiving team, and it apparently hasn't presented a problem for these clubs at our school (insert SCUBA, rock climbing, etc). Ask them what information they need in order to evaluate the risks to the school for a skydiving club so that you can gather that specific information for them rather than presenting information that isn't important to them. Ask for a timeframe, figure out what you want from the school, and determine the roadmap to get you to the real go/no-go decision.
I helped start the Cheerleading Club at MIT. It didn't take too much to start since we weren't asking for much from the school, just the ability to reserve practice space, have an online persona and use the name. If you are looking to be recognized so that you can be in the directory, have a school website, have a booth, make shirts, etc. but aren't looking for any funding from the school it may be a much easier path when you lay out specifically what you are looking for.

Krip

*********Contacted an administrator to attempt to get a skydiving club started at my University. I attached the response. I could practically taste the bias in her response.

College loans...

College loans.? Thats some funny shit and the worst advice I, ve heard since a TM suggested it to a potential student.

Do you understand the concept of cradle to beyond the grave debt that a cosigner of your loan will be stuck with after your dead.

It, s a debt that even bankruptcy won't be able to erase.

Some people used to think of their income tax overpayment as free money, now its been replaced by the student loan.

R.I.P.

debt that even declareing

Dude get a grip. I wasn't giving advice merely replying Jeff. &_&

I'm very much aware of what college loans are considering I have 5 years of them attached to my name. Thanks for the info though e-parent.

>Cheerleading Club at MIT

Come on Tech, You can do it, put a little power to it,
P-O-W-E-R, we got the power, cuz we are the Engineers,
And we said it, and we meant it, and we're here to represent it,
Cuz we are the,Engineers,
Go M - I - T!!!!

:)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The bias maybe unjustified (based on wuffo assumptions), but the botemline that skydiving is dangerous is inherently true...

more dangerous then somethings, less dangerous then others...

you could always run the "we promote safety in skydiving/aim for an optimal safe skydiving enviroment" as a goal you are trying to achieve with your organization...

good luck, I do support your cause/idea!
Parachute gear garage sale at :http://www.usedparachutes.eu

Notwithstanding how poorly written that email is; having been involved in University skydiving in the UK for a number of years I have a few specific recommendations:

Firstly, you need to ask the University for the specific risk management policies which prohibit skydiving as a sport. I'm not sure if there's a distinction between the Athletic Union and the Student Union in US universities, but you'll generally be much better off going through a sports department than otherwise.

Secondly, you need to prepare a comprehensive risk assessment. Get in touch with the dropzone you plan to use and ask for theirs; then fill out a copy of your universities standard risk assessment form (I can send you a copy of ours, but it's designed for the UK legal environment so it may be useless to you)

You'll also need to emphasize that all of the liability is held by the dropzone and the USPA rather than the university.

I would just go ahead and start the club... You don't need to be a university organization to get a few people together to go skydiving; and when you have ten people who are asking for recognition as a club they'll have a lot harder time denying your request.

And as someone already mentioned: It's a lot easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

Good luck!

Nice post ... but why do they even need a club? Funding or recognition on their C.V .. look at me I started a club so employ me.

Most people just go to the DZ and that's it.. What am I missing?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

As a sports club; we're covered by a personal injury policy that covers our academic fees and living costs if we're injured as well as significant benefits for death or disablement. We also get access to physiotherapy for sporting injuries which allows us to skip the two week wait for NHS treatment (in our area).

We also get funding for kit, we have three university rigs which are free to use for our members. As well as access to university transport (minibuses and rental cars).