mrbrianp

Need advice on awesome dropzones all around the US

So I am 24, getting my degree soon, and want to take a year off to travel and skydive. I have 300+ jumps and would like skydiving to be a major component of my traveling. My ultimate goal is to go to a dropzone for a month or two, find temporary work (coaching, bar tending, etc.), and explore the area as well as jumping as much as I can. I would like to explore the west coast, east coast, and everything in between. Can anyone recommend some great dropzones? A great dropzone, for what I am looking for, would be mid-large sized, have bunks/camp grounds, be in a good location, and have a great community. I'm also really interested in developing my wingsuit ability, so if anyone can point me to a place that has a lot of wingsuit activity that would be great too. Thanks in advance!

mrbrianp

So I am 24, getting my degree soon, and want to take a year off to travel and skydive. I have 300+ jumps and would like skydiving to be a major component of my traveling. My ultimate goal is to go to a dropzone for a month or two, find temporary work (coaching, bar tending, etc.), and explore the area as well as jumping as much as I can. I would like to explore the west coast, east coast, and everything in between. Can anyone recommend some great dropzones? A great dropzone, for what I am looking for, would be mid-large sized, have bunks/camp grounds, be in a good location, and have a great community. I'm also really interested in developing my wingsuit ability, so if anyone can point me to a place that has a lot of wingsuit activity that would be great too. Thanks in advance!

Easy.
Florida (ZHills, Sebastian, Deland).
Arizona (Eloy)
Californina (Lake Elsinore and Perris)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

mrbrianp

Thanks, I've heard great things about several of those places. I plan on having a great year. See you in the sky!

Make sure you plan seasonally. Florida and Arizona are downright unpleasant in the summer, and Southern California can be stupid hot, too. Most of the northern dropzones will close down in the winter.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

While they're not necessarily destination drop zones, consider some of the ones in the seriously scenic parts of the country like New England, Colorado, Northern California, and the Pacific Northwest. I'm not sure which ones would have good daily action (though I'm pretty sure Skydive New England in Maine does), but if you're interested in non-skydiving activities too, these offer a whole bunch of them.

Either way, enjoy your year -- I'm sure you will.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Squeak

Florida (ZHills, Sebastian, Deland).

I'd like to append Skydive Palatka. It's not a big DZ like Deland, but it is an extremely friendly and great DZ to be at. Doesn't matter who you are there is always someone willing to jump with you despite your experience level. Very welcoming group of jumpers and staff. I personally have not been to Deland (yet), but I heard there is a lot of little cliques there.

Just last weekend we had a girl come from Deland because she said no one there will jump with her, and the instructors/coaches won't pay attention to her if she's not paying them to jump. She had some where around 70 jumps, and she got on the first load with some jumpers to do RW and made RW loads all day with those people.

mrbrianp

Thanks for the advice, I figured I wouldn't want to jump in Chicago in the winter lol. I live in Texas though so can take some heat. I'm planning it out to be quite seasonal overall.

It's not just the temps. Jumping is pretty quiet in AZ in summer, for example.
Remster

rohicks

***Florida (ZHills, Sebastian, Deland).

I'd like to append Skydive Palatka. It's not a big DZ like Deland, but it is an extremely friendly and great DZ to be at. Doesn't matter who you are there is always someone willing to jump with you despite your experience level. Very welcoming group of jumpers and staff. I personally have not been to Deland (yet), but I heard there is a lot of little cliques there.

Just last weekend we had a girl come from Deland because she said no one there will jump with her, and the instructors/coaches won't pay attention to her if she's not paying them to jump. She had some where around 70 jumps, and she got on the first load with some jumpers to do RW and made RW loads all day with those people.

Was she ugly?

fanya

******Florida (ZHills, Sebastian, Deland).

Was she ugly?
No she was actually pretty cute.

I'm glad she started jumping at Palatka she seems to be really knowledgeable for such a low jump number. She jumped right in to help when one of our instructors had a quick session to show the flying gators how to dissemble 3 rings and clean their cutaway handles. She helped a few of the gator students, and AFF students that didn't know what to do while our S&TA was busy, but I digress.

Come to New ENgland and jump both Lebanon, ME and Pepperell, MA but make sure you do it in the fall when the leaves change and the scenery is just SO beautiful. Both DZ's have great people and good times :)

Then make sure you look me up!
You are not the contents of your wallet.