NorrinRadd

Negative reactions to the sport

Freeflaw

Alternatively you can share your passion and talk about why skydiving/base is fascinating. I have not had many experiences where the person I talked to didn't leave the conversation with a degree of fascination for the sport. I'd rather talk about skydiving over and over again then my college degree/weather or some such. Then again, most social interaction is insufferable due to its repetitive nature anyways.

And I agree completely with this. My post and yours are in no way mutually exclusive. It's all in the blend.

I've not had any really anti type reactions although a fair few "why do you do that" comments. I'm getting to feel that I've got to hold back a bit about talking about my new favourite hobby though as I'm getting the idea that some people feel as though I'm not the bloke who's really enthusiastic about his new hobby but I'm the guy who has such a massive ego he's just banging on about his new dangerous sport to make the rest of us feel a little bit less than him. This is absolutely not the case but I'd hate to lose my non parachuting friends by coming across like that.
What I actually believe is that the absolute negative reactions that were mentioned at the start of the post are all to do with ignorant people who know nothing about our sport and wouldn't dare to live their life a little, and what's more, they absolutely know it. I think back to before I jumped and the idea was quite mad, so that's how they think, and unlike us they have done nothing about it.

DcloudZ

I sadly made the mistake last year of notifying anyone and everyone I could about starting skydiving. If I could, I would take it back and keep it a secret.

I keep my family on a need to know basis and was doing a pretty good job of that until I took my sister on a tandem jump and she posted the video to facebook. Derp. Like 3 minutes later I get a call from mom "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" I keep trying to explain to my sister it's much better if you use google plus, which the parents can't seem to figure out...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

What amaze me is the negative comment some skydiver can give about Base, and/or proxy flying swooping ... For me it's just a question of where you put your own limit, and to respect the choices of other people even if it is different from my choices.
ça passe ou ça frotte