imsparticus

cypres skipped service

I have a original cypres that has been lying around (been away from the sport for a while) and has missed its 4 year service but is now due for its 8 year.

will airtec accept it for its 8 year service, or do cypreses that miss the 3 month window for the 4 year service become unservicable/throw away?

Cheers,

Ps. please facts only, no guessing games or personal theories on why it should shouldnt etc.

I have a original cypres that has been lying around (been away from the sport for a while) and has missed its 4 year service but is now due for its 8 year.

will airtec accept it for its 8 year service, or do cypreses that miss the 3 month window for the 4 year service become unservicable/throw away?

Cheers,

Ps. please facts only, no guessing games or personal theories on why it should shouldnt etc.

They have a clear policy on this. They will happily accept it and do both checks at the same time. Of course you will have to pay for both of them. I am not sure the value of the thing is worth doing them both.

Cheers,

They have a clear policy on this. They will happily accept it and do both checks at the same time. Of course you will have to pay for both of them. I am not sure the value of the thing is worth doing them both.

That used to be the policy, but not anymore. You just need to send it to SSK or Airtec for the 8-year service/battery and you will only be charged for the one service and battery. The Cypres will still have the 12.25-year lifetime from DOM.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

sounds good, I was just a bit worried if i sent it to a rep and had it sent, away airtec would knock it back and i would be out of pocket for the shipping or whatever the charge was.

Boy that was pretty cheeky of them to charge twice for one service back in the day

Thanks team.

I bought am older Cypress(unused) from DZ.com seller about a yaer ago. Sent it off and had batt replacement and 8 year check.
When you fill out maint form on Cypress site they tell you what you need based on date, gives you price estimate right there. Then you send it in. I havnt checked site since then however.:S

When did they change their attitude on this? A buddy JUST did this probably 6 months ago and corn holed for both the 4 & 8 year.

This changed about 5 years ago...if I remember right. So sounds like something is out of whack if your buddy was charged 160+160+battery+shipping instead of 160+battery+shipping.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Cheers,

Hearing this, I sent an email to Eric Campbell at SSK, the USA service center for Airtec.

He said that they do not double charge, and have not since 1997 or 1998.

I've followed on to him with a question if Airtec might be doing things differently for their direct market. I'll post when I get a response.

To the poster who said his friend had just recently been double charged, where was that service performed?

here's one thing people sometimes overlook.

your unit MUST be within 3 months OR LESS BEFORE, or any amount AFTER the required service for it to be done.

If your unit is DOM 8/2001 and you send it in now, you are MORE than 3 months outside the 8 year check, but still need the 4 year check.

your unit MUST be within 3 months OR LESS BEFORE, or any amount AFTER the required service for it to be done.

If your unit is DOM 8/2001 and you send it in now, you are MORE than 3 months outside the 8 year check, but still need the 4 year check.

Good point.

But if you sent it in too early for the 8 year, you should not be double charged because they would not do the 8 year. You would be charged for the 4 year.

Yes, this would be an unhappy surprise, but you wouldn't be double charged.

The only time you could be double charged would be if you were eligible for the 8 year, and they charged for both the 4 and the 8 year checks.

And SSK says that they will not double charge in that case, and have not for more than 10 years.

We still don't know what Airtec is doing for non-USA service.

Good point.

But if you sent it in too early for the 8 year, you should not be double charged because they would not do the 8 year. You would be charged for the 4 year.

Yes, this would be an unhappy surprise, but you wouldn't be double charged.

The only time you could be double charged would be if you were eligible for the 8 year, and they charged for both the 4 and the 8 year checks.

And SSK says that they will not double charge in that case, and have not for more than 10 years.

We still don't know what Airtec is doing for non-USA service.

I have received a reply from Eric Campbell of SSK that Airtec does not double charge either.

Sorry, I was mistaken. The deal was the owner wanted the 8 year done early since it was going to be due in like 6 months. They said nope....gonna charge you for both....which is what ended up happening. It got it's 4 year...and then 6 months later (cuz I just pulled it out...yuppers, I said pulled it out) got it's 8 year. Still seems like a rip-off....but they hold the cards.
my pics & stuff!

Sorry, I was mistaken. The deal was the owner wanted the 8 year done early since it was going to be due in like 6 months. They said nope....gonna charge you for both....which is what ended up happening. It got it's 4 year...and then 6 months later (cuz I just pulled it out...yuppers, I said pulled it out) got it's 8 year. Still seems like a rip-off....but they hold the cards.

that is exactly the situation that I described. Someones impatience of waiting 3 months cost them $160.

Yeah, 3 extra months prior to the -3mo period is not much, but neither is 4. And 6 months is only 2 months away from the 4.... where does the company draw the line ?

I personally don't see this as rip-off.

Hearing this, I sent an email to Eric Campbell at SSK, the USA service center for Airtec.

Thank you for posting. I've got a cypres to send in that never had it's 4yr. so im happy to know for sure i only have to pay the 8yr. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Thank you for posting. I've got a cypres to send in that never had it's 4yr. so im happy to know for sure i only have to pay the 8yr. :)

Just to be clear, if the unit is not yet eligible for the 8 year, they will not do the 8 year check.

A CYPRES (not C2) is eligible for the 8 year check no earlier than 3 months before the 8 year anniversary of the DOM.

Regarding the person who got charged for both services, it eventually came out that he had the first service done before the unit was eligible for the 8 year service. It is well documented that a 4 year service only makes the unit airworthy until the 8 year anniversary of the DOM + 3 months. So, even if you do the 4 year service at 7 years, you still need an 8 year service at the appropriate time.

Fair or not, that's the rules as they stand right now.

By the way, if a CYPRES missed its 4 year checkup, it should have been removed from service no later than the 4 year anniversary of the DOM plus 3 months. If a CYPRES is going to be out of service like this, Airtec recommends that the batteries are removed to guard against possible leakage from old batteries. If this CYPRES was in a rig that's been sitting in a closet for the last 3 years with batteries installed, there is some risk that the rig and/or the reserve have been damaged from battery leakage. Be forewarned.

Someones impatience of waiting 3 months cost them $160.

really?...impatience? So you think this person should have jumped w/o a cypres? I still think it's a scam....buy a vigil!

No, I am not suggesting they should have jumped without a cypres - that's their choice. I am suggesting that sicne they knew the facts upfront, it's hypocritical to bitch about the outcome you were advised of.

Just to be clear, if the unit is not yet eligible for the 8 year, they will not do the 8 year check.

Never had the 4yr and it was due for it's 8yr 5 months ago.

By the way, if a CYPRES missed its 4 year checkup, it should have been removed from service no later than the 4 year anniversary of the DOM plus 3 months.

Since i am a rigger and don't intend to lose my rating by disobeying rules, of course i took it out of my rig when i couldn't afford the 4yr service.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Anyone have any current gauge on this? Has here policy changed? I've heard they are charging for the 4 and 8 year even if you are in the 8 year window and missed the 4 year.

I'd call, but they are closed until Monday!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar