dkvkb

A serious question about health insurance before I start the AFF course

I'm not worried about life insurance. Just health. We are self-employed and not a part of a group plan and our insurance excludes extreme sports. Any suggestions? I have searched and think I found a few companies, but can't really evaluate which ones are good.

Perhaps you should look into a "Major Medical" policy. They are put in place to cover, well, major stuff... Excludes dr visits, preventative, and the like.

I would seriously reconsider your position on life insurance though, especially if you are married and/or have children.

I'm with aflac this year. They do cover skydiving this year and that includes the supplemental when I signed up. Also the supplemental didn't cover it last year, only the health insurance did. They also don't cover all extreme sports. It seems like the policies are always changing. You'd just have to call and find out who covers what and what they offer for what price.

dkvkb

I'm not worried about life insurance. Just health. We are self-employed and not a part of a group plan and our insurance excludes extreme sports. Any suggestions? I have searched and think I found a few companies, but can't really evaluate which ones are good.

http://skydivekansas.com/resources/ar_insurance.shtml

This was from a link on Jen Sharp's site...

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Thanks for the replies. I'll check it out. I have no children at home, and my husband is working also. I'm more worried about a serious injury that would include surgery, long hospital stay, etc. I checked out a few policies. Even rodeo riders are considered a risk. And probably bass fisherman who go 60mph in a boat are also. If I get in my truck and drive home, there's no guarantee I won't get in a wreck. I don't see the difference, but I guess the insurance companies do.

dkvkb

Even rodeo riders are considered a risk. And probably bass fisherman who go 60mph in a boat are also. If I get in my truck and drive home, there's no guarantee I won't get in a wreck. I don't see the difference, but I guess the insurance companies do.

"Even" rodeo riders??? They damned well better be considered high risk! Those guys get hurt fairly frequently. If they were NOT classed as high risk I would be surprised.

It is true that you might be hurt in a wreck while driving home. However, the insurance company is looking at the odds of you getting hurt. By any measure that I can think of, the rate of injury in skydiving vastly exceeds that of driving.

The dirty little secret of skydiving in the US is that we don't measure injuries effectively. Thus, the true rate of skydiving injury is unknown. However, simple observation makes it clear that the rate of injury in skydiving is pretty damned high. For example, as I write this I know four jumpers at my DZ who are recovering from leg injuries (including my wife who is icing her leg at this instant). Given that my community of skydivers is fairly small, that is a high injury rate compared to my community of drivers.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

there were 2 types of insurance, health insurance and life insurance
If you just interested in health insurance and I would think that any good policy would cover accidental injury at a skydiving facility. She'll insurance policy does not cover accidents from sports and then you may want to seriously look at obtaining a new policy on the upcoming open exchange network to start January 1. Policies are required by not be much more uniform and all encompassing. He may have a high deductible at least it would hospital bills.
The do not want to skydive without insurance in place, an injury and subsequent treatment in the hospital for even a simple broken ankle can easily add up to $15-$20,000.
As far as life insurance is concerned, given that you have no children U. may not realistically need this policy.I currently have no life insurance policy and fill no need to get one, since I have no children and no wife. I do have several friends who have offered to pay the premium if they can be named as the beneficiary lol

good luck and make sure you obtain adequate insurance

I currently have no life insurance policy and fill no need to get one, since I have no children and no wife.

People (not necessarily you) in this position should consider whether they'll have enough assets in their estate to cover their funeral expenses, which are roughly $10,000-ish with casket (less w/cremation). If not, having at least enough life insurance to cover funeral expenses will avoid leaving your surviving relatives in a financial quandary.

If not, having at least enough life insurance to cover funeral expenses will avoid leaving your surviving relatives in a financial quandary.

I have a chainsaw, shovel, and bag of lime in the garage. That'll do it, too.

- Dan G

So much for "serious" question[:/]

Small life policies are easily obtainable, even for skydivers. USPA has group rates, and insurance companies LOVE term policies.

Even if you're a veteran and receive VA memorial benefits, your final expenses will include more than a headstone, funeral, and salute.

Chances are, your bank or credit card company offers FREE life insurance, five or 10 thousand dollars.. all you have to so is sign. Try looking into that.

Keeping life insurance is a smart and responsible thing to do, regardless of your marital or parental status.

Well, as far as life insurance, I figured I could just get cremated & have a skydiver spread my ashes. I'm sure my husband could sell my truck to pay for that.

On a more serious note, I am seeing that getting this insurance issue finalized would be a great relief to me, so I really appreciate all the suggestions. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time. I start on the 20th in Dallas. Every time I get nervous, I just tell myself I can stop at any level.

First off good for you for checking into this, skydiving without health insurance is stupid. Also check out the following link if it is relevant to your situation. It is about having power of attorney and a living will that helped this couple out after a skydiving injury.

http://nickfener.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/dont-wait-until-its-too-late-power-of-attorney-and-living-will/

As for insurance, I am self employed and purchase my own insurance through BCBS. 27 year old male and its $220 a month. In 2011 I broke my ankle skydiving and they covered it no problem. I also broke even between the previous 7 years of payments and what they shelled out to the hospital. The total billed to my insurance was over $30k and they ended up paying over $15k.

Many insurance policies don't care how you get hurt, just call and ask the company to be sure.

As for BCBS I get the impression health care providers don't like them because they don't pay very much and the out of network deductible is huge. Other than that I personally haven't had any issues with them.

Thank you. Actually, a living will is another thing I need to address, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I want to enjoy this without having to worry about being a burden to my husband. I know that's corny, but it's true. Getting all this information about possible insurance options has helped tremendously.

dkvkb

Thank you. Actually, a living will is another thing I need to address, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I want to enjoy this without having to worry about being a burden to my husband. I know that's corny, but it's true. Getting all this information about possible insurance options has helped tremendously.

We had talked for 20+ years of marriage about the living will (and heck, even simple wills) we should write. I remember working on them in the 2 weeks between my tandem and my FJC...kind of otherworldly, but also something that we should have done a long time ago...so if an urge to skydive gets that "I should do this" off your to-do list, so be it.

Counting the days until you begin? It becomes a beast of its own, this training...says the woman with 14 jumps to her name, and an obsession to try to get to A license before it gets too cold (with that annoying full-time day job that keeps getting in the way!)

Obsession is right. I wish I could go one day without thinking about it. And I am also trying to get everything done before the weather keeps me from going. Although here in the south, it's not too bad most of the time. I'm reading, as instructed, the USPA manual. What a great resource. 14 jumps. Wow. Maybe I'll catch up with you. Or better yet, maybe I'll jump with you someday:)

dkvkb

a living will is another thing I need to address, .

Based on my observations of cases at the bedside (as an ICU nurse) the living will is less useful than the medical power of attorney. Here is info about the Texas version of the medical power of attorney:

http://www.texmed.org/template.aspx?id=65
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I can't find a free copy to share a link of, but the Five Wishes document is legal in 42 US states and a very nice way to do a Living Will and designate your healthcare surrogate if you are incapacitated. Make sure you get it notarized. I live in PA, where it doesn't have to be notarized. If I end up in a WV hospital 30 minutes away, it needs to be notarized.

http://www.agingwithdignity.org/forms/5wishes.pdf

Our social worker at work hands them out when requested.
At the beginning of a beautiful journey!