Backintothesky

20 Seconds of Joy Documentary

Watched this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOI6N1dJ8Yk

I don't think this does anything healthy for the sport of BASE jumping and in turn skydiving. It makes anyone involved look like a crazy drug addict who can't live without a fix.

It left a sour taste in my mouth. Yes skydiving is dangerous and BASE is even more so, but it's documentaries like this that can have people deciding that BASE should be completely illegal everywhere to "protect people from themselves". The same reasoning some people have for banning drugs.

I cannot imagine a single whuffo watching that documentary and not going "what a selfish bunch of crazy addicts". Whilst it may be the sort of image Jeb Corliss and co wants to project to the world, it will only damage the sport in the future and as a result skydiving.

Where to even begin... I think I disagree with just about everything you wrote... Did you actually watch the whole thing???

Or are you just stirring up shit???

Hmmmm... :|

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

You need to watch it again, and pay attention this time. There's nothing in this show that portrays us and BASE in a negative light. The psychologist interview shuts all the "crazy adrenaline junky" notion down in thirty seconds. What exactly do you have a problem with?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

You need to watch it again, and pay attention this time. There's nothing in this show that portrays us and BASE in a negative light. The psychologist interview shuts all the "crazy adrenaline junky" notion down in thirty seconds. What exactly do you have a problem with?

I was paying attention, thanks for the patronising command though ;)

I think it does. This whole "I can't stop, where will this end, am I normal, I have a pathological urge to push the limits", Jeb Corliss's whole "look how extreme I am" attitude (don't get me wrong, he knows what he is talking about). It's just the vibe it gives off.

I'll watch it again, perhaps I'm completely off-base (no pun intended) here, but just from my subjective point of view it didn't show things in a good light.

No-one has to agree with me, there's no objective standard here. It's interesting to hear other's point of view.

I watched it all, and I have to disagree that it painted base jumpers and skydivers as anything like drug-addled addicts. I thought it was very honest about the risks, and the rewards for people who are inclined towards extreme sports. Beautifully photographed as well. Thanks for the link, it cost me an hour but it was an hour well spent.

Don

Despite that you said that it doesn't matter with people agrees with you or not.. i have to say, that I also don't agree with your comments... specially: "I cannot imagine a single whuffo watching that documentary and not going "what a selfish bunch of crazy addicts".

For me, life is all about of having the liberty to make your own decisions and choices!!! I really admire people that push their limits!! I have so much respect for someone who have the guts of doing something extraordinary, non-conventional, extreme!!

Unfortunately sometimes the price is to high, but it is what it is!! take it, or leave it!!

Extreme athletes? They are what they are. If we have to "water it down" for the woofos, that would be a travesty. If thwy can't understand.... well, so be it. I think for anyone who's ever done anything like this, this video will hit home. Just my 2.5 cents...B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

You may be able to imagine it, but it's still what happens.

I have shown it to a couple of people who don't jump, and the reaction has been entirely positive so far.

Personally? I think it's beautiful.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

GeorgiaDon

I watched it all, and I have to disagree that it painted base jumpers and skydivers as anything like drug-addled addicts. I thought it was very honest about the risks, and the rewards for people who are inclined towards extreme sports. Beautifully photographed as well. Thanks for the link, it cost me an hour but it was an hour well spent.

Don

Agree...

Well worth the hr. ~ I linked it to some friends.

Pretty honest account that makes no apologies...because none are necessary - it is what it is.

If you choose a path less traveled there WILL be some bumps in the road...but the view is always better than following the mainstream. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Backintothesky

***You need to watch it again, and pay attention this time. There's nothing in this show that portrays us and BASE in a negative light. The psychologist interview shuts all the "crazy adrenaline junky" notion down in thirty seconds. What exactly do you have a problem with?

I was paying attention, thanks for the patronising command though ;)

I don't think it's so patronising... I thought the same thing but held back from actually saying it. :o

I think unlike a lot of media, it is NOT an exaggerated film about "adrenalyne junkies" but rather an honest, intelligent portrayal of a risky sport. I've seen it many times and I like how down to earth Karina is - she describes in a very modest way her love and passion of BASE... It shows that she is living life to the fullest, and yet she is very aware of the consequences / risks in her sport.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I kind of agree with Backintothesky about the bitter aftertaste. Being used to exciting action filled base clips on YouTube that documentary had a bit of sour surprise in it! Got the same uneasy feeling as when I watched the Clint Eastwood movie, Million Dollar Baby for the first time.

Good documentary nevertheless, some people will think that what we do is madness no matter how we perform once we leave the plane ;)

Not sure if it has been posted here on dropzone before, know it has been on basejumper forum some time ago. This homemade BASE documentary made me postpone my BASE fjc for another year.
(Caution: nothing blurred out)
http://youtu.be/vxhlhmlwSB4

Bufobufo

I kind of agree with Backintothesky about the bitter aftertaste. Being used to exciting action filled base clips on YouTube that documentary had a bit of sour surprise in it! Got the same uneasy feeling as when I watched the Clint Eastwood movie, Million Dollar Baby for the first time.

Good documentary nevertheless, some people will think that what we do is madness no matter how we perform once we leave the plane ;)

Not sure if it has been posted here on dropzone before, know it has been on basejumper forum some time ago. This homemade BASE documentary made me postpone my BASE fjc for another year.
(Caution: nothing blurred out)
http://youtu.be/vxhlhmlwSB4

That's why it's a fair representation...sometimes ya eat the bear & sometimes the bear eats you.

It's a GOOD thing that it perhaps leaves a bit of a sour taste when watching.

There IS a price to pay for getting to do the things we do, see the things we see - One needs to do some cost/benefit analysis before becoming/staying involved.

That's hard to do if no one speaks frankly about the true cost.

I quit BASE almost 20 years ago, just couldn't justify the risk for the reward...I can get what I need out of Skydiving with a much higher probability of living out my 'allotted' time on this rock walking upright & takin' nourishment without assistance.

Would I like to do some of the things those like Jeb do? You bet!

But I 'know' the price and I'm not willing to pay it...maybe if more people understood the TRUE cost, and that this thing isn't a carnival ride - they just might reconsider some of the limits they seem so eager to push.

Fun IS Fun...but dead is DEAD and often times broken is FOREVER.

THAT end of the story should also be told.

I think from our point of view, it's good to see the reality of it. For the record I think that what they were talking about in terms of the danger and the real chance of not surviving very long was spot on from the little I know about BASE. Certainly Jeb Corliss knows what he is talking about.

What gave me the "bitter" aftertaste was that this documentary, along with the Bridge to Nowhere documentary, is available to the general public.

The general public already have a wildly exaggerated idea of the danger of skydiving, BASE and such sports. I've heard shit like "1 in 10 skydives ends in fatality" [:/]

Like the lady in 20 seconds of joy, we have friends and family around us that worry excessively about our safety because of our chosen sports - why pile on more worry with documentaries like this. I would never want my family or friends to see shit like this, they already worry as it is.

We as a group whether we are skydivers, base jumpers or whatever should always try to open our eyes to the real dangers of these sports - we should never sugarcoat reality for ourselves.

BUT, for our friends and family, I think a little bit of sugarcoating and white lying is necessary to lessen their emotional burden.

Is it really necessary to have Jeb Corliss explain that BASE jumpers will get seriously hurt, watch close friends die and quite possibly die themselves; to the general public?

Is it really necessary to have the general public be able to watch BASE jumpers go in and see their bodies lying in the woods impaled on a piece of tree like we saw in Bridge to Nowhere? Or watch them talk to the film-maker and then die on camera 5 minutes later?

Non BASE jumpers friends and family will jump to the same conclusions about skydiving cos "they both involve jumping off things with a parachute".

Unnecessary drama for the general public, but most certainly "need-to-watch" stuff for anyone looking to get into BASE.

BUT, for our friends and family, I think a little bit of sugarcoating and white lying is necessary to lessen their emotional burden.

There I gotta disagree...

I've always been straight up about what I'm doing and the hazards involved.

It's really only fair to them - and if something should happen to me, I don't want friends & family saying "That dumbshit thought it was SAFE"

It's a risk, and it's a risk that I understand fully and choose to take - again, I feel the reward I receive is worth it.

I think I 'ease their burden' more by being truthful, by letting them know I appreciate the concern and that I do everything possible to mitigate the risk involved.

To 'downplay' any part of that is to take away from both who I am, and what the sport IS ~ what it means to me.

After careful consideration I decided to stop motorcycle riding & BASE ~ my wife stopped flying competitive aerobatics and performing her airshow act when we adopted our 3 kids...we'd both lost too many friends doing those things and it didn't seem right to keep playing those odds when others needed us around.

I kept Skydiving because I need that & if done conservatively I believe the risk to be minimal...I've been in the sport 38 years and have never been injured - I stay safe because I want to do it again next time.

Like Jeb said...you WILL get injured - thanks but no thanks. ;)

The video in question wasn't meant to be a PR move to gain mainstream interest in that sport, it was IMO an honest characterization of what it is, who does it & where it may lead.

I think we need MORE of that, too many people out there watch youtube vids of proximity flying etc. and think they're on the fast track to rockin' a wingsuit two weeks after their tandem.

There are people in both sports these days that have no business being there, but we've 'sugar coated' it so much they don't have a clue as to the sour taste that is also served up at times with the sweet coating one sees first.

No...I like the story, I like what it says and the way it says it. It's kinda like when Paul Harvey use to say ~ ...and now, for the REST of the story.

Fair enough, I can see your point of view.

airtwardo

There I gotta disagree...

I've always been straight up about what I'm doing and the hazards involved.

It's really only fair to them - and if something should happen to me, I don't want friends & family saying "That dumbshit thought it was SAFE"

It's a risk, and it's a risk that I understand fully and choose to take - again, I feel the reward I receive is worth it.

I think I 'ease their burden' more by being truthful, by letting them know I appreciate the concern and that I do everything possible to mitigate the risk involved.

To 'downplay' any part of that is to take away from both who I am, and what the sport IS ~ what it means to me.

After careful consideration I decided to stop motorcycle riding & BASE ~ my wife stopped flying competitive aerobatics and performing her airshow act when we adopted our 3 kids...we'd both lost too many friends doing those things and it didn't seem right to keep playing those odds when others needed us around.

I kept Skydiving because I need that & if done conservatively I believe the risk to be minimal...I've been in the sport 38 years and have never been injured - I stay safe because I want to do it again next time.

Like Jeb said...you WILL get injured - thanks but no thanks. ;)

The video in question wasn't meant to be a PR move to gain mainstream interest in that sport, it was IMO an honest characterization of what it is, who does it & where it may lead.

I think we need MORE of that, too many people out there watch youtube vids of proximity flying etc. and think they're on the fast track to rockin' a wingsuit two weeks after their tandem.

There are people in both sports these days that have no business being there, but we've 'sugar coated' it so much they don't have a clue as to the sour taste that is also served up at times with the sweet coating one sees first.

No...I like the story, I like what it says and the way it says it. It's kinda like when Paul Harvey use to say ~ ...and now, for the REST of the story.

Freedom and liberty do provide for the individual to be and do what appears to be stupid, foolish and hazardous. I don't and won't base jump. That's a choice I made, no one else. The one thing this country has already and quite frankly too many, are busybodies wondering hither and to trying to protect people from themselves. As far as I'm concerned, get the busy bodies off the streets and if they don't comply exhile them to that island Tom Hanks was stranded on, they can "busybody" each other. And yes I disagree with every point you posit.