skykank

cessna 182 modification

Hi:

If anyone can help me, I found all the STCs that I need for skydiving mod. on a C182, my question is if there is a STC for a handle where a videographer can hold on outside the plane??
If any C182 owner could help me !!

Thanks a lot

Isn't that just called a 'strut'? :D:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This mod is part of any Cessna jumplane in Brazil.
Here is a picture of my brother in law's 182.
Ops, I don't know how to create a link here... :$
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13948540/IMG00023-20101211-1734.jpg
The same handle & step are used on all 100 series Cessnas.

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

Interesting. I've never seen a step and grab handle that far back before. But my not knowing about it doesn't mean all that much.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nice looking plane!

What is that thing that looks like a horizontal tube mounted to the fuselage just forward of the door?

you can see the camera guy hanging on it

How about just hooking your hand over the back edge of the door frame? That's how I do it anytime I need to rear float a 182 (like filming AFF jumps with two instructors). The nice part about the back edge of the door frame is that it's already installed, and there's no paperwork required.

That's right. The same line of thought applies for the jump step on the landing gear. Why waste time and money with STC or 337 form to certify them if the landing gear already comes with a step? :P
Jokes aside, these handles are a life saver. It makes the climb out safer and easier and also allows you to mantain positive control of a student, one hand grip on a team member, keeps you in a better body position for any exit technique and free up room for a 4 way team or AFF.

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

Learn something new everyday.
Never seen a 182 with the handle or porch step (the 180).

I, personally, would not see any issue with the handle install; (door frame or fuselage top). Reason being; 1) its not a pressurized aircraft, 2) It is not being asked to support a load.
It would still need a 337 Field Approval, but would not require engineering data.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=E748AA8119D00C248525734F0076663A

I'm reposting this link. It is the FAA Inspectors Handbook.
If you scroll down almost to the end there is a chart, Figure 4-68, that tells which type of modifications require an STC or Engineering Data or can be a simple Field Approval.
I cannot really see where the handle would fit into a STC or Eng category.
You may even be able to use the data from one of the Brazillian aircraft to support this install. It would just depend on how thorough the data is. If its just a simple log book sign off "Installed handle", that wouldn't work, but something more detailed may. It would be worth a shot if you cannot find something from the US.
Any questions feel free to PM me. I'll see what I can do.

If you want to use you Cessna 182 for parachutists’ dropping, we have the right solution for you:

• AFFORDABLE – for a fair price you can upgrade your plane, increasing its versatility and commercial value;

• EASY TO INSTALL - we supply all the paperwork and any Part 145 workshop can perform the job.
    Shall you prefer to do it with us, the people from our own Part 145 organisation will be glad to do it.

• EASA APPROVED - This STC is fully EASA approved, so you won’t have to worry checking the EASA database to confirm whether the STC is validated or not.

• FAST - When you decide to upgrade your aircraft you don’t want to wait for ages… and you don’t have to.
    In a few days after you confirm your order, you’ll receive the paperwork in order to let you move forward with the modification.
    If you prefer, we can do the all job in a working week.

• PRACTICAL - Simple and practical is what you expect to have, so that’s what you’ll get!

Feel free to visit www.iac-aero.com for further information about the company.

jp-pinto

If you want to use you Cessna 182 for parachutists’ dropping, we have the right solution for you:

• AFFORDABLE – for a fair price you can upgrade your plane, increasing its versatility and commercial value;

• EASY TO INSTALL - we supply all the paperwork and any Part 145 workshop can perform the job.
    Shall you prefer to do it with us, the people from our own Part 145 organisation will be glad to do it.

• EASA APPROVED - This STC is fully EASA approved, so you won’t have to worry checking the EASA database to confirm whether the STC is validated or not.

• FAST - When you decide to upgrade your aircraft you don’t want to wait for ages… and you don’t have to.
    In a few days after you confirm your order, you’ll receive the paperwork in order to let you move forward with the modification.
    If you prefer, we can do the all job in a working week.

• PRACTICAL - Simple and practical is what you expect to have, so that’s what you’ll get!

Feel free to visit www.iac-aero.com for further information about the company.

Is "parashuting" a word I don't know about? That's what it says in the pic you attached.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

"***Learn something new everyday.
Never seen a 182 with the handle or porch step (the 180). ..."

Agreed!
First time I have ever seen a "porch" step on a Cessna 180 or 185. It looks like a miniature version of the jump step the Pilatus factory installs on Porters.
It also looks waaaaaay easier to use than any of the tiny, girly, sissified, limp-wristed Cessna 180 jump-steps I have ever used.
Looks like it also helped the TI do such a graceful stable exit.
Good step!

There is a cessna 195 that is converted to a turbine on you tube. The inflight door is built in two pieces, the bottom third, swings down and becomes the step and it looks like the top is a roll up of some kind. I would like to put something like this on my 206. It would keep the big draggy step out of the wind stream for takeoff and climb and leave the drag out for the ride down. It would also shorten the roll up door by a foot making it easier to open. This type of door won't work on a 182 and I don't know if it would clear the strut on a 180 and 185.