skydived19006

The Death of a Boogie

billvon

>"Back in the day" most folks had to travel just to find an Otter

Mark my words - within ten years some boogie at a bigger skydiving center will have a Cessna 182 as a novelty aircraft,

SDAZ was flying the Beech 18 as a novelty plane at xmas a couple years ago :ph34r:
Remster

billvon

>"Back in the day" most folks had to travel just to find an Otter

Mark my words - within ten years some boogie at a bigger skydiving center will have a Cessna 182 as a novelty aircraft,

We have folks drop in once in a while who've never exited a 182. It's always funny to us that hanging from the strut, and loading out on the step is intimidating.

Quite a few have indicated that turbine aircraft being more prevalent is a large force in the decline of the large boogie. Apparently, we can again blame it on Bill Booth and Ted Strong for developing the tandem system. Tandem has caused skydiving to become a business that can actually generate positive cash flow. I heard it said "All DZs are tandem factories, some simply have room left on the airplane for the fun jumpers."

One good suggestion I will try to take to heart, and spread is "bring something." We'll put our heads together on that one, and see if we can be part of the entertainment next time round!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Opie

******800 people, epic?

It's all relative right? :ph34r:

I was at Quincy at the height of the boogie's popularity: 94 and 96. It was amazing. But you also could not mingle and party and jump with everyone. It was immense. Epic: yes.

A 800 people boogie in a small place like FD: I'd call that epic too. ;)

Agreed! I was at both places during those big years and both were epic!

-

All of the sub-quotes are all fair statements. I was at WFFC in 2004 and 2005, so by that point it had gotten smaller but it was still 2000+ skydivers. So I somewhat know what you're talking about.

My first morning there I watched a guy have a cypress fire right over the camp ground - that was crazy, still remember it fairly vividly.

It is all relative though, I don't expect that there will ever be a boogie like that again. It's all strange factors, I mean - my DZ has super cheap jumps ($16) for our 50th anniversary through the end of the month and it hasn't even attracted any of the other area dropzone locals to even see what we have going on. People don't care about it as much - they want to go somewhere familiar make the jumps and go home.

Same thing as said before really - there has to be a reason to go to a boogie. If someone had a C130, I'd be there w/o question or if there was some other "omg really" idea that never was done before, that would bring me in. Otherwise I jump at my home and pick one good party a year to go to at a nearby place. Or go somewhere for discipline jumps (like wingsuiting)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

DZ boogies are a lot of fun but we have had the boogie of all boogies namely the WFFC (World FreeFall Convention) formerly Freak Brothers boogie, and, collectively, we have neglected it. A Big boogie like the WFFC, organized in a neutral (not a DZ) airport like Freeport Ill., Quincy Ill., and last time at Rantoul Ill. was providing probably the best a skydiver could dream of, ie. no politics, speciality airplanes (Hercules, Ford TriMotor, Lockheed Constellation, DC-9, Boeing 727, 12 seat Bell 412 helicopter, Hot air balloon, B-17, B-24, Mig 21, Carvair...etc) name it and this in addition of the more classic DC-3, Caravan, Twin Otter, Casa, Skyvan...plus a good crew of competent designated load orgnizers, shows and rock bands every night, a self serve free beer truck and amazing hot contests on the stage under one of the big tents.
It seems that skydivers didn't understand the interest of such a boogie, the only type which could offer so many features but also involving investment of a tremendous amount of money for the organizer. At the time, skydivers didn't think big enough. At the best years at Quincy, there were more than 5000 registrations (from all over the world) with a fleet of airplanes accordingly. We had it for almost 20 years and due to diminishing attendance, the organizer gave up. I have seen many well organized boogies but never like the WFFC.[:/]

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Fast

[ they want to go somewhere familiar make the jumps and go home.

I can usually make more jumps at my home DZ in a day than at LP simply because I know everyone and the compact layout makes it easy to get a group together to jump. At LP I seem to spend half my time jogging back and forth to see who's not on a load yet and wants to jump.

I attended the first Freak Brother boogie ~ way back when...

I've made it to 1/2 a dozen of the FB/WFFC whatever they wanna call it boogies...saw them grow to be epic.

Certainly the availability of turbines at many dropzones is one factor in the decline of attendance of late. The big draw back then IMO was larger planes, bigger dives.

Tough to get an SCR/SCS at a cessna DZ...:ph34r:

But we also came for the parties!

Could be that 'US' party animals of the 70's, 80's & 90's are getting a bit long of tooth and have dialed it back a bit...the n00bs these days just can't hang like we did so they stay home and play X-box instead of chicken shit bingo at 3am midway through a week long hangover.

Hell they can't pack, can't spot, can't land land 1/2 the time without needing a medic...it only follows that they can't BOOGIE!

:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

erdnarob

DZ boogies are a lot of fun but we have had the boogie of all boogies namely the WFFC (World FreeFall Convention) formerly Freak Brothers boogie, and, collectively, we have neglected it. A Big boogie like the WFFC, organized in a neutral (not a DZ) airport like Freeport Ill., Quincy Ill., and last time at Rantoul Ill. was providing probably the best a skydiver could dream of, ie. no politics, speciality airplanes (Hercules, Ford TriMotor, Lockheed Constellation, DC-9, Boeing 727, 12 seat Bell 412 helicopter, Hot air balloon, B-17, B-24, Mig 21, Carvair...etc) name it and this in addition of the more classic DC-3, Caravan, Twin Otter, Casa, Skyvan...plus a good crew of competent designated load orgnizers, shows and rock bands every night, a self serve free beer truck and amazing hot contests on the stage under one of the big tents.
It seems that skydivers didn't understand the interest of such a boogie, the only type which could offer so many features but also involving investment of a tremendous amount of money for the organizer. At the time, skydivers didn't think big enough. At the best years at Quincy, there were more than 5000 registrations (from all over the world) with a fleet of airplanes accordingly. We had it for almost 20 years and due to diminishing attendance, the organizer gave up. I have seen many well organized boogies but never like the WFFC.[:/]

You got it figured out for the most part. Except for the no politics thing. It's just a different set of issues. Everyone wants the tandem concession,everyone wants to organize, oh and btw can you cover my travel,food and hotel also, everyone wants their aircraft there, and don't forget organizer wanna be that wants to tell you how it should be done and then shit talks the event when you don't do it their way, the 1 to 2% that show up just to try and fuck something up and the ones that would complain if you gave them free jumps because they didn't like the plane it was out of.

People have lost sight of what a boogie is supposed to be in my opinion. Yes, it used to be about getting to jump out of bigger and different airplanes, but it has always been about socializing. The vibe at a true boogie is like no other.Unfortunately it's something that many just don't get cause they are too busy complaining to stop and enjoy the moment.

One final thought.

Someone mentioned up thread "bring something". I agree totally with that. Come with the intent of adding something to the boogie. Some of the best times we have had at the St.Patricks Boogies have been because of people who have taken it upon themselves and many time on their own dime to organize activities for the event.

Hell, if nothing else, bring a box of trash bags and try not to be the squeaky wheel.

airtwardo

Could be that 'US' party animals of the 70's, 80's & 90's are getting a bit long of tooth and have dialed it back a bit...the n00bs these days just can't hang like we did so they stay home and play X-box instead of chicken shit bingo at 3am midway through a week long hangover.

Hell they can't pack, can't spot, can't land land 1/2 the time without needing a medic...it only follows that they can't BOOGIE!

:ph34r:

AMEN Jim! Never hear stories anymore of people waking up on the floor of the manifest shack with Chet P sweeping around their head. Thanks Chet, made the early bird load that day! :)

Sorry to hear about the poor attendance. I've never heard of Couch Freaks...how was it marketed?

I avoid boogies. Lack of parking, lack of accommodations, lack of packing areas, theft, fees, long calls, congested skies and landing areas, jumpers that are still drunk from the night before, and visiting jumpers who could care less about DZ policy and rules. I'll get more jumps in on weekday at my busy turbine DZ than at a crowded well planned boogie.

Lack of parking, lack of accommodations, lack of packing areas, theft, fees, long calls, congested skies and landing areas, jumpers that are still drunk from the night before, and visiting jumpers who could care less about DZ policy and rules. I'll get more jumps in on weekday at my busy turbine DZ than at a crowded well planned boogie.

And people wonder why boogies are dying...
Remster

Scrumpot

Once the HERD BOOGIE broke up and faded away... well then ...that thar was pretty much "all she wrote". All the rest are/were just ...mere wannabe's anyway. ;)

The Heard was a group of "wannabe"s once? :)
.....and Twardo, how dare you dis "us" young kids with our newer ways!! ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Remster

Lack of parking, lack of accommodations, lack of packing areas, theft, fees, long calls, congested skies and landing areas, jumpers that are still drunk from the night before, and visiting jumpers who could care less about DZ policy and rules. I'll get more jumps in on weekday at my busy turbine DZ than at a crowded well planned boogie.

And people wonder why boogies are dying...

Well it's fair enough. When I was a new jumper at a Cessna/static line DZ, I looked forward to our boogie (Mullins' King Air) every year, and traveled to Eloy for the holiday boogie because otherwise I wasn't getting above 10,000' or doing more than a few loads in a day.

Now with 3 (I think? Might be 4) turbine DZs within 2 hours of me I'm still excited by the IDEA of a boogie but less so about the reality of it for the most part. Typically the killer for me is lack of specialty aircraft/jumps and/or high registration fees. If the registration fee doesn't amortize by the end of the weekend and the jumps are the same as I'd be doing on any other weekend I don't see why I'd bother.

However, access to rotary wings, balloons, high alt jumps, night jumps or even tailgates might be enough to get my attention so long as the costs are reasonable.

Free beer doesn't do anything for me since I don't drink… meals being included is cool, I suppose.

Some of his other points:

Parking: Important if you're leaving regularly. If you'll park and not touch your vehicle again until you leave, less so.

Lack of accommodations: Legit concern in a lot of climates. I might be a bit of a pussy but with summers here there's no goddamned way I'm gonna sleep in a tent when it's still 90°F at midnight, I'd never get any rest. Also I'd likely be eaten by a snake.

Lack of packing areas: Honestly haven't run into this personally so I couldn't give a commentary.

Theft: Legit. People are the worst.

Fees (discussed above)

Long calls: I'm not a 20 jumps-per-day jumper on my budget, but if I can get 7 or 8 on a "big" day I'm happy.

Congested skies and landing areas: Fair enough.

Other jumpers: Well… yeah.
cavete terrae.

I went once at the Herd boogie, New Hanover Pennsylvania. I still have the best memories from it. Jumping from a twin tail israeli Arrava airplane, the first tandems with no drogue, overnight wild parties including Hymen Buster group directed by Dave DeWolf, the burn car wrecking. OMGB| This was in 1984.

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Never made it to the WFFC, but I did two Herd boogies, a Z-Hills Easter Boogie, and a Perris Thanksgiving Boogie in the late 70's and early 80's.

That was the right age for me to go to boogies, too :D. Now I"d rather get a good night's sleep

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

skyjumpenfool

***Once the HERD BOOGIE broke up and faded away... well then ...that thar was pretty much "all she wrote". All the rest are/were just ...mere wannabe's anyway. ;)

The Heard was a group of "wannabe"s once? :)
.....and Twardo, how dare you dis "us" young kids with our newer ways!! ;)

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In past years my dz shut down so we could all go to Couch Freaks. At first it was a given because of the NPSL meet. And then it was a weekend for us all not to have to work while we jump. The last two or so years, attendance was down but yet there was long waits to get on a plane (land and go right to manifest to get a 80 minute call), even though there were plenty of aircraft tied down. And the belly LO's were either non-existent or limited.

This year, a lot of us decided to stay home (we would have rather made 10 Cessna jumps than 5 turbine jumps), and our dz stayed open, but closed down for one day to go visit the neighboring turbine dz.

It was the first Couch Freaks that's missed me since I started skydiving. I definitely missed seeing those that I saw only one time a year at Couch, but I didn't really miss the Couch. And I definitely didn't miss trying to manage a few hours of sleep with music blasted (yes, I am getting old).

Maybe it's time for another attempt at the Iowa State Record. Maybe do a 4 way money meet?

I'm in the minority as I'm an old-school jumper, but fuck me, boogies used to be about good times. Just say the word boogie now and half a dozen people want to shake your hand but have their other hand in your pocket. I understand "business is business", but IMHO some of those stealing from the sport are just stealing from the sport.