mirage62

FAI Sequential world record rules

Can anyone point me to the location of the rules for this category? I have looked all over the FAI web page, and tried to find it on USPA.org but obviously I am a loser.

To me this is a cool new offical record and I want to understand how these will be judged (POPS, USPA and World)

Thanks
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Large Formation Sequential

The record performance for the large formation sequential is the number of persons (not less
than 25% (rounded up) of the size of the largest formation record at the time the sequential
record is performed and for VFS only subject to a minimum number of 24) to complete a
sequence of two or more formations, giving a separate record performance for the total
number of formations completed.

One written plan describing the formations and the transitions to be attempted and the
personnel involved must be submitted in advance to the judges. The formations and the
transitions must be completed as described with all named personnel in the formations.

All persons in the completed formations must either

(a) have at least one hand grip on another person or
(b) have another person have at least one hand grip on them.

In the transition from one formation to the next, at least 35% of the persons in the first
formation must

(a) release all of their hand grips and all hand grips on them must also be released, or
(b) be a member of a released sub-group. A released sub-group may comprise no more
than four persons.

None of the released grips included in this 35% may be retaken in the next formation.
Simultaneous separation during the transition is not required.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

cpoxon

Large Formation Sequential

The record performance for the large formation sequential is the number of persons (not less
than 25% (rounded up) of the size of the largest formation record at the time the sequential
record is performed and for VFS only subject to a minimum number of 24) to complete a
sequence of two or more formations, giving a separate record performance for the total
number of formations completed.

One written plan describing the formations and the transitions to be attempted and the
personnel involved must be submitted in advance to the judges. The formations and the
transitions must be completed as described with all named personnel in the formations.

All persons in the completed formations must either

(a) have at least one hand grip on another person or
(b) have another person have at least one hand grip on them.

In the transition from one formation to the next, at least 35% of the persons in the first
formation must

(a) release all of their hand grips and all hand grips on them must also be released, or
(b) be a member of a released sub-group. A released sub-group may comprise no more
than four persons.

None of the released grips included in this 35% may be retaken in the next formation.
Simultaneous separation during the transition is not required.

Interesting. Looks like the 2 point 107 way we did at Summerfest a few years back would have satisfied these rules. Organized by BJ and Roger Ponce.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ok so if Kallend is correct that the 2 point 107 way could have been a record.....

Than 25% of 107 = 26.75 rounded up = 27

So 27 people go and do a 3 point 27 way and the required 35% grips change and are not retaken in the next two points.

Than the 27 way 3 pointer would be the new record??? :S

Anybody want to do this math?

Not exactly sure what you are implying, but when the rules say grips can't be retaken, they mean the exact same grip. If Bill's right hand has a leg grip on Steve's left leg, then after they sequence, Bill can't re-take the same grip, he has to take a different grip, like on Amy's arm or Steve's right leg etc.

But everyone in the formation has to be connected, so there is only one connected formation at each point in the sequence.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Sorry Im not being clear. I understand the grips rule.

Just not the MATH of how someone breaks the existing record. I thought the number of points done had a relationship to the new record not just size.

If size is it than when someone gets say a 200 way two point it would beat (for example) a 5 point 100 way.

mirage62

Sorry Im not being clear. I understand the grips rule.

Just not the MATH of how someone breaks the existing record. I thought the number of points done had a relationship to the new record not just size.

If size is it than when someone gets say a 200 way two point it would beat (for example) a 5 point 100 way.

That is how I read it.

Could be wrong, of course.

Whichever it is, it will be easier to organize than a 500 way.

Hey John...or anyone else reading this thread.

So for a world record you would take the 400 way x 25% = 100 way so the attempt has to be at least 100 in size to qualify.

Here is where I am confused:

Group A does a 3 point 100 way
Group B does a 2 point 101 way

Who has the record?

(FWIW I thought it was simple math Group A won based on 3points x 100 way = 300 vrs Group B with 2points x 101 = 202)

Anyone?

Removing text for clarity gives:

The record performance for the large formation sequential is the number of persons...to complete a sequence [of formations], giving a separate record performance for the total number of formations completed.

It sounds to me like there are two records in the record books, the number of people and the number of formations (points).
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

If your right for example the world record would start at 100 people and you would have a record for 100 people X number of points, 101 people X number of points......

Seems to me that would be A LOT of records to keep up with.

I've written the USPA and asked but no one has gotten back to me.

Maybe it's a secret cause no one is really sure. ;)

But how do you BEAT it? Someone does a 2 point 100 way. The next 100 way does 3points - They win. So in the 100 way "class" the3 point is the record holder.

Aaaaaagggggg I can't believe that no one can't explain it in simple terms

No.

It could just be an extension of the existing record methodology, so most people on a 1 point jump (400).

Now there are more records, most people on a 2 point jump, most people on a 3 pt jump, etc. So you beat each record by having more people on it. If the existing 2pt record is 130 ppl, then you do a 2pt with 140 ppl. If the 3 pt record is 101 ppl, then you do a 3pt with 102 ppl, etc.

I don't know if that is what the rules are, but it would be a nice way to do it.

llloyd

Aaaaaagggggg I can't believe that no one can't explain it in simple terms

How simple do you want it?;)

Biggest 2-pointer sets a record.
Biggest 3-pointer sets a record.
Biggest 4-pointer sets a record etc.

*imo.

Well, it has to be 25% of 400 as a minimum.
While I can see doing a 5 point 100 way sometime, I don't see that a record, say, 15 point 100 way skydive is ever likely to occur

My mistake was thinking that the record would be one record that was decided by a total point system.

200 way x 2 points = 400 (score)
100 way x 5 points = 500 (score)
50 way x 11 points = 550 (score)

In the above the 50 way would be the record.

Personally I think a 11 point 50 way (with 35% breaks) would beat the hell out of a 2 point 200 way.

But what do I know :P

mirage62

My mistake was thinking that the record would be one record that was decided by a total point system.

200 way x 2 points = 400 (score)
100 way x 5 points = 500 (score)
50 way x 11 points = 550 (score)

In the above the 50 way would be the record.

Personally I think a 11 point 50 way (with 35% breaks) would beat the hell out of a 2 point 200 way.

But what do I know :P

I hope it doesn't get debated to death, like the wingsuit record rules.

Just spoke w Randy Connell at USPA. I believe understand....sort of. :S

Hopefully it all settles down and they write it up a little bit easier to understand.

As it stands I think it will be A LOT of work to admin, and people will be arguing about who really has the record.