2KGM

First aff jump saturday!!!! Super nervous.

2KGM

Never jumped before but for some reason cant stop thinking about it. Every time I do I get butterflies and sweaty palms and I haven't even seen the door yet. Is this normal?

Of course you can't stop thinking about it. This is going to change your life forever. You will never see the world the same way again. Your new perspective will guide you for the rest of your life if you allow it to, and very much for the better.

An old friend of mine and a skydiver for 40+ years always says when asked by newcomers about the butterflies in the stomach that we never stop getting them, we just teach them to fly in formation. I think that's true.

In AFF, you have chosen the most challenging and rewarding of all first jump options. You and 2 highly skilled instructors jumping as a team! Yes you will be nervous. You will probably question your decision - hell even your sanity. My advice to you is to focus and trust your training, your instructors, your gear, and yourself.

When - not if - that door seems insurmountable, remember this. The jump you will make this Saturday will change you. It will change everything about you, everything you thought you were made of, and very possibly everything you want for your future.

Go fly, and never look back!! And be sure to let us know how it goes.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

2KGM

Never jumped before but for some reason cant stop thinking about it. Every time I do I get butterflies and sweaty palms and I haven't even seen the door yet. Is this normal?

Normal as fuck! Same thing for my first jump. Keep jumping and soon it becomes normal. Then your life will really go downhill as you forsake all other things for skydiving. :D

Hey, when you jump from the plane, arch, breathe, smile and then do all that other stuff they teach you. Practice hard on the ground and don't rush in the air. Have fun. B|

From someone that was just there a few months ago, my friendly tip is to take some deep breaths on the ride to altitude and then one, big deep breath at the door (or as you're approaching). Sounds kind of silly, but for me, it really helped me chill on those first few jumps.

chuckakers

***Never jumped before but for some reason cant stop thinking about it. Every time I do I get butterflies and sweaty palms and I haven't even seen the door yet. Is this normal?

Of course you can't stop thinking about it. This is going to change your life forever. You will never see the world the same way again. Your new perspective will guide you for the rest of your life if you allow it to, and very much for the better.

An old friend of mine and a skydiver for 40+ years always says when asked by newcomers about the butterflies in the stomach that we never stop getting them, we just teach them to fly in formation. I think that's true.

In AFF, you have chosen the most challenging and rewarding of all first jump options. You and 2 highly skilled instructors jumping as a team! Yes you will be nervous. You will probably question your decision - hell even your sanity. My advice to you is to focus and trust your training, your instructors, your gear, and yourself.

When - not if - that door seems insurmountable, remember this. The jump you will make this Saturday will change you. It will change everything about you, everything you thought you were made of, and very possibly everything you want for your future.

Go fly, and never look back!! And be sure to let us know how it goes.

Very well said! +1051296572:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

TrickyMike

From someone that was just there a few months ago, my friendly tip is to take some deep breaths on the ride to altitude and then one, big deep breath at the door (or as you're approaching). Sounds kind of silly, but for me, it really helped me chill on those first few jumps.

silly? seriously?
hell no, this is physiology. the ONLY part of your physiology you can control in the moment is breathing, and your body will take a cue from it. BREATHE. RELAX. REPEAT. Remember in auto racing, my other love, "Slow is fast", take your time and BE in the moment.

TrickyMike is spot on. If you want more, "Transcending Fear" by Germain helped me get out that door. Then read his canopy control book later... its awesome
You are not the contents of your wallet.

TrickyMike

Absolutely and not silly at all. On my first few jumps, "breathe" was one of the repeating instructions (horizon, altitude, position, breathe) and it really does help. It gets modified in later jumps (e.g. 'horizon' becomes 'heading' once you can actually steer yourself, lol)

Also, I was told to smile as it creates a physiological response of relaxation in the body. The more you can relax, the easier it is to arch. Just saying "relax" doesn't often work, but taking a deep breath and smiling can generate a positive response in your body.

Good luck with the weather and have fun tomorrow!! :)
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

The fact your first jump is going to be through AFF, I'd say it's totally understandable and normal to be nervous! I was super nervous going tandem for my first jump!! You're jumping out of a plane so it'd be a little weird and concerning if you weren't! ;)

Like the others have said, breathe. This is something my instructors told me and yep, when I'm going up in that plane I'm taking deep breaths. In AFF, when I would check in/out with my instructors in the door, they would smile and take a deep breath and wait for me to do the same to relax since I tend to be a bit more anxious than others. :)

Have a blast!

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist

Just did my third jump today (tandem, cat a, and just passed cat b) and can say it gets EASIER if you follow those pieces of advice.

You can expect to be nervous and I agree you'd not be normal if you didnt have some response. I tried a little experiment on the way to altitude today. First I counted my pulse on the ground: 66BPM. In the airplane during takeoff 66BPM. Door opened 114BPM. Deep Breath waiting for other jumpers to get out: 94BPM. I was still above my normal, but its manageable. Your body WILL cue into your breathing, so make sure you breathe. slowly and deliberately. Smiling also does elicit a physiology response, it relaxes the body. I forget to do it at times but in freefall when I start to worry about screwing up the dive flow, I just take a big breath through a smile and think. I tried it today when I got nervous and forgot to wave off and as I realized i screwed up I also realized: I was holding my breath and tensing up.

Remember as my instructor told me: this is a sport for hippy stoners or yoga instructors. Gotta be mellow. Gotta be relaxed. Slow is fast. Breathe. Arch. Smile. Live in the moment and embrace the fact you are doing something that 99% of this world is terrified of. And you are doing it by your own choosing.

THAT... makes you a badass ;)

Did my jump today passed!!! Level 2 next weekend. It was so amazing, nothing like i thought it would be. Surprisingly not nervous on the plane or at the door. Just went for it. Thank you all for helping me and sharing your experiences i think it helped alot.

2KGM

Did my jump today passed!!! Level 2 next weekend. It was so amazing, nothing like i thought it would be. Surprisingly not nervous on the plane or at the door. Just went for it. Thank you all for helping me and sharing your experiences i think it helped alot.

Solid work!
For most people the first is the hardest because there is a lot of unknown. Learning to "let go" and trust in your training served you very well :)

Keep at it, and keep that awesome positive outlook

2KGM

Well done!
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

2KGM

Beautifully Done !! keep going
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??