lauril

Funniest whuffo question

Year and a half can bring many changes.

You obviously haven't visited the DB Cooper thread!

:ph34r:

Those people are touched in the head... reading that is like torture even the nazi's couldn't come up with.

Reading it twice means you're one of them. :D:D

I've also heard a mother of a tandem passenger ask the JM'

"so...how many jumpers do you lose a year?"

Nothing wrong with the question, but she asked it in a way you would ask someone what he had done past weekend....making it sound like we 'lost' one or two every weekend and it didn't realy care...

kinda disturbing thoughts...

I've been asked that a few times....always answer with ~ we've never left one up there, eventually they all come down somewhere around here.
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

About a year ago I started working with a personal trainer at a local gym. I had previously talked to her about jumping and after hours shenanigans that the dropzone provides.

I show up one Monday and she tells me this: "You're 5 min late. I thought you had died!" :S

To her credit, she now has 75 jumps and just applied for her B license. ;)

About a year ago I started working with a personal trainer at a local gym. I had previously talked to her about jumping and after hours shenanigans that the dropzone provides.

I show up one Monday and she tells me this: "You're 5 min late. I thought you had died!" :S

To her credit, she now has 75 jumps and just applied for her B license. ;)

i think the real question is, did you date or marry her yet? :ph34r:

Revival.

Collegue asked me "do you use some kind of pump to inflate the parachute"

Another, probably since he saw a 4way vid - " The wind keeps you up there for long. When do you decide to come down?"

My answer - Gravity sucks dude.:$

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

One time at Eloy I was carrying both my rig and a friend's rig back from the packing tent. A spectator asked me if that was how they did the tandem jumps.:D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

IJskonijn

***As mentioned earlier, I'm sure....
"What if the second parachute doesn't open?"

That's why we wear a helmet, duh!

I get that one a lot. I answer "Well, then I die!" and laugh like a maniac.

They usually go away after that.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Let's see, where do I begin? :
Whuffo : ( After learing what AAD's do.), Why do you pull for yourself whan you have a computer to do it for you? Seriously.

Whuffo : ( Upon seeing a shot of me jumping in sandals ), Can you really jump in those?, You don't need boots?

Whuffo : Isn't really hot up there, you're so much closer to the sun?

Whuffo : BUt airplanes can fly in clouds, why can't we jump? ( On a solid overcast day with a ceiling of 1300 or so.)

Whuffo : ( Upon learnig I have jumped a chopper or two ) But you CAN'T jump from a helicopter, the rotorwash will blow you into the ground!

And the endless Whuffo'splainin', like :

Whuffo : You go so much faster in those squirrel suits that you don't need 'chutes.

It never ends.
;)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Orange1

I think it is so funny that people ask if you ever had to use your parachute, or when you say "cutaway", they think you have a pair of scissors or a knife that you use to cut it away, haha...

Doesn't the term "cutaway" come from days when you did, indeed, have to use a knife??

Firstly I don't get why skydivers think it is funny or odd that people assume cutaway means with a knife or scissors. To me that is not a silly or funny whuffo question.

I'm not sure of the origin, but very early canopies (and in fact the C9/T-10's I learn't on), there was no need to cutaway you simply dumped your reserve.

My favourite silly belief, especially that it is my daughter who is 17 and should know better is that if you fall from a height you will die before you hit the ground.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

My favourite silly belief, especially that it is my daughter who is 17 and should know better is that if you fall from a height you will die before you hit the ground.

Well look on the bright side, I hear the future of the strip club industry is bright and they don't have entry exams.
cavete terrae.

Standing outside the rigger loft at Raeford in 1985, the UPS driver ( a very polite middle aged southern gentelman) over hears us talking about jumping. He asks a few of the standard questions then came up with a term we had never heard before. He asks," how do you know when to open your HATCH"? We were young Army guys, taught to respect or elders, but we couldn't hold back the laughs. We didn't want to be dissrespectful to this man but we lost it. His delivery of the question with that southern draw was priceless. I see my old Army buddies every few years and the "OPEN THE HATCH STORY" always comes up after a few beers.

Best one for me was my 6 year old niece. She saw 4 of us dirt diving, and looked at the 182. She then looked at her mom and asked "How are they all going to fit in there?"

After we got in, and before the pilot started the plane up, one of the others brought her up close to look in and see how we were stuffed in there.

"See? They fit. They just have to be good friends." She made a comment about the clown car at the circus.

B|

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Was on the same load as a tandem and the instructor explained that some people (me and a friend) would get off the plane at 5000 ft. and the plane would continue up to the altitude where the tandem jumps out. The tandem student asked why we would jump out at 5000 instead of going all the way up. My friends answer: "Because we're afraid of heights".