lauril

Funniest whuffo question

I heard of a spectator riding the tour wagon at Quincy one year ask "What do skydivers eat?"

usually the small children the villagers leave at dropzones for us so we dont wander into town and disturb the peaceWink

2-3 guys take a big net on the plane and jump through clouds capturing carebears for the barbecue + beer later.

I was told during my Basic Training in the Army that i could not be a paratrooper because i had fillings in my teeth that would explode at altitide............

It still hasn't happened

I'm a USAF pilot, all of our dental work has to be checked to make sure there isn't any trapped air behind it. Not a big deal until you get a decompression at high altitude. That wouldn't be fun. It can happen though. I've also never had problems with my fillings.

Lots of similar questions from non-fliers at airshows. (and at my DZ) B| My favorite is when they ask me how many times we have to eject in training.

An old flatmate of mine who is always determined to talk others down to boost his own ego said to me "It looks like it'd get boring really quick. All you're doing is falling. I mean, How much fun can it be?"

I found that funny. It's a shame that he'll never find out the answer.

From a would-be tandem, (after I've explained the various altitudes he can jump from, and the various rough durations of freefall, in seconds [several times]):

"You mean there are no jumps that'll get me, like, an hour of freefall?"

He was utterly serious, and disappointed when I explained that there were no such jumps. He says

"Is it 'cause a', like, oxygen, or something? . . ."

Hmm.
Let's go to candy mountain.

This has happened to me 2 or 3 times now:

The skydivers that just landed walk to the van. We walk past some watching whuffo's. I am one of the last ones. I pass said whuffo's, with my canopy hanging over my shoulder, they go: Did YOU just jump outta a plane??!!

Isn't this a good response:
- No, some idiot pushed me!
(just to see their expressions) B|
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se

But he kept saying he jumped...I don't mind..let him. But I don't understand why someone would tell a lie like that and, even when being confronted with it, just keep ignoring the fact that everyone knows your lying..kinda sad..

If you repeat a lie enough times it will turn into the truth, at least to the one that tells them, you can actually try it yourself, with a small experiment, make up a small lie about something, and then repeat it many times over a long time period and you will start to believe it really happened, isn't the human mind incredible :D
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se

I was hanging around the hanger after doing 2 of my jumps to get my a license and heard a guy ask my instructor what do you do when you jump out of the plane and hit a cloud, and my instructor with a straight face said to him we just run as fast as we can and jump off the other side and the guy said oh I guess that makes sense and walked away. I was just standing there with total amazement that they could believe such an answer.

Something similar happened at our dropzone, a tandem pax asked one of the other skydivers what happens if you get clouds caught in your chute and the skydiver looked at him, not even smiling and said: clouds in your canapy is a malfunction and then we cut our main and deploy our reserve. The rest of us pretty much died from laughter! :ph34r:
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se

OK. I've completed one measly tandem jump thus far, so maybe i'm a wuffo myslef... Admittedly, most of these are pretty damn ridiculous! However, I can understand how someone could assume that you actually fly upward when the chute is deployed if all they had watched were videos.

Hell, it FELT like i was shooting up into the air as well! (Though I of course knew that I wasn't!)

Gotta love the pointy end of the raindrops though!

A coworker of mine thought that freeflying involved going upward for a period of time during the dive. I guess he figured that body control wouldn't be possible while falling!

He was totally serious. I just nodded and said, "ummm...yeah that's right."
I tried to get a grip on reality, but it moved.

Y'all probably heard a lot of questions from whuffos, please share if you have a funny one..;)

This is the most 'whuffo' question I've ever heard, a friend of mine once asked, 'can you feel the wind in freefall ?' (And he didn't mean the relative wind, but the actual wind up there)
How whuffo is that ? :D

The one I seem to get a lot these days is some variant of:

"Whuffo you jump out of those airplanes more than once?"

It isn't phrased quite like that, of course, but the basic idea is that I think many whuffos probably know someone who claims to have done a tandem, so they can sort of understand doing one, and only one, tandem just to "find out what it is like". But they simply cannot imagine why anyone would ever want to jump out of a plane more than once let alone dozens, hundreds, or thousands of times.

An example would be one whuffo friend of mine who has a bit of a weight problem--I don't think he ever met a bacon cheeseburger he didn't like. He came to the DZ once to do a tandem, but he was over the DZ's maximum weight for tandem students, so he was turned away. He then told everyone I knew that, yes, he had been too heavy to jump, but having been to the DZ (and not even having jumped!), he was qualified to say that anyone who jumps more than once is "obviously stuck" and "has nothing going on in their life".

Obviously I am not the most experienced skydiver in the world, but I obviously have a lot more experience than him--he was just trying to tear down what I did because he couldn't do it himself.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

he was qualified to say that anyone who jumps more than once is "obviously stuck" and "has nothing going on in their life".

Had a relative ask me a few weeks ago 'why' I have done 3000 jumps...."all I can afford" was my answer.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was at school talking to a guy who was talking about suicides (dunno why, he's quite weird i gotta say) and he INSISTED that as a human if you decide to jump off a building you instantly die because of the freefall. He said you'd have a heart attack before you even touched the ground.

I tend to get that one, or some variant, a lot too. Funny thing is that it always seems to be presented to me as a good thing--like they think they are confiding some good news in me to brighten up my otherwise miserable day :ph34r: As in, they say, in the sort of somber tone you might use at a funeral, that they "take a lot of comfort from" the alleged fact that I will have a "mercifully painless death" since I am allegedly going to die in freefall before having to suffer the pain of bouncing.B|
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

lol

my family think im going through a "phase" of depression and low self esteem because Im trying to kill myself by jumping.

a memorable quote by my mum was "youve done 10 jumps...havent you got it out of your system yet. Why dont you try golf with me and your dad instead"