lauril

Funniest whuffo question

First look at the attached photo of Atlanta International Airport, which is the busiest airport in the entire world. I used this photo as wallpaper on my office PC for a while since my office was at about the 2:30 position in the photo, I've always liked aviation, and I worked for an airline-related company. A co-worker, knowing that I was a skydiver, once asked: "Oh, is that the airport where you skydive?"

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Whuffo: Where do you usually go skydiving?

Me: At airports which have a skydiving business near me.

Whuffo: And where do the planes land in the mountain? I mean you have to go the to top of the mountain first, isn't it so?

Me: No, we jump from the planes.

Whuffo: And then you land on top of the mountains? Cool dude, I totally have to try that!

Me: [:/]

Co-worker: You skydive? Wow! and I thought my weekend was exciting, cause I have been playing Warhammer all weekend!

Girl after talking about tandems and asking questions about them for nearly a full hour: What! Just because I want to make only a single jump, I have to pay WAY more than you regular jumpers!? That is SO unfair!
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I have read until page 8 of the posts and i don't think anyone saw someone say that to them:

I was at school talking to a guy who was talking about suicides (dunno why, he's quite weird i gotta say) and he INSISTED that as a human if you decide to jump off a building you instantly die because of the freefall. He said you'd have a heart attack before you even touched the ground.

I didn't even bother saying I have jumped out of a plane and survived. I just went "hmmm i don't think that's true, just my opinion though i'm not sure" and had a good inside laugh :P

if you decide to jump off a building you instantly die because of the freefall.

I recon that if you hadn't whitnessed freefall and that you fell off a building,,, accidently,,,, (and didn't want to commit suicide),,,, then you may well have a heart murmer or two.

If however you were a skydiver and accidently fell off a large building,,, i think you'd put on a hard arch. Maybe get a couple of flips in just for the hell of it. Probably go for a bit of freefly just before impact into the plf.

:ph34r:

If however you were a skydiver and accidently fell off a large building,,, i think you'd put on a hard arch. Maybe get a couple of flips in just for the hell of it. Probably go for a bit of freefly just before impact into the plf.

And your estate would buy the beer you'd owe...;)

And your estate would buy the beer you'd owe...;)

i'm never buying no beer if i cant drink any of it.. :PB|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

One I get often is when I show the tandem students a demo video.

When the drogue is thrown the students says "He's opened the parachute already!"

Then it's gets worse as the TM explains without the drogue they would fall to fast for the vidiot. :|
Like, we don't bother with the drogue when they don't have video :S

Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Then it's gets worse as the TM explains without the drogue they would fall to fast for the vidiot. :|
Like, we don't bother with the drogue when they don't have video :S

But doesn't everything in freefall fall at the same speed?:|

In a vacuum. . .
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Now, I work in Manifest and get a lot of phone calls every day. The BEST one by far was someone who called wanting to know the price of the "webcamera on their head". I asked, "you mean the price if the video"?
"Nono, the webcams. I've seen it on your webpage. The ones that we can wear in freefall so we can see the ground". Then INSISTED that she's seen it on our webpage! It was advertised there!

It took a lot of explaining to get her to understand that no, we don't jump with webcams and that what she saw were experienced fun jumpers with cameras on their heads, that webcams are not used in freefall :) and that the internet wouldn't work from 13k.

I once told a whuffo that the grippers are to help the paramedics pick us up. :o

firs time I saw grippers (was also my 1st time at a DZ for my 1st tandem), I thought they were kind of aerodynamic appendixes to have kind of a more stable freefall :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I had a botched landing, after which i found myself at the Doctor's.

She diagnosed a partially torn ankle ligament, and told me that I would probably be allright with two weeks of tape, and taking it easy for a while.

I carefully brought up the matter of jumping again.

Her answer: "Since you do not need your ankle while in the air, I do not see a problem with you continuing to jump, provided that you can make sure that you can make sure that you do not have to dampen the shock of touching down yourself."

I could only stare at her, while having a mental picture of the fire department running after me with one of those catching whatchamacallits..
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

:D No, 'cause when i stared at her, she turned away all embarrassed and said: "Well, I am not familiar with those techniques.."

Nice try though :P
~mom

I know it's been mentioned in this thread, but...

I have 2 tandems and 6 AFF jumps (one more level to go!). No less than three of my friends have asked if i can tandem jump with them when i'm done AFF. When i say I'll need a few more thousand jumps, they say "But I'd feel so much safer jumping with you!"

Are you RETARDED??!?!?! :S Safer with me than with a certified TM with 500-6000 jumps under his belt?