lauril

Funniest whuffo question

Friend of mine heard this one...he was talking to a whuffo about skydiving, and the guy looks at him and says "So, let me get this straight..you made a sport out of an emergency procedure?"...

Now this one does make you stop and think, doesn't it?

J

--"Some day, I will fly".

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Friend of mine heard this one...he was talking to a whuffo about skydiving, and the guy looks at him and says "So, let me get this straight..you made a sport out of an emergency procedure?"...

Well, it's true, isn't it?
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I think that most people realize the risks they are taking before they make their first jump.

in my case that was second jump first one was fine i didn't understand damn thing :D

I experienced the same thing. I was much more nervous on the 2nd jump. During the ride up I kept thinking that I was crazy to be doing it again.

I once saw a National Geographic Explorer episode on skydiving. The segment ended with a "fact" about skydiving:
"skydivers don't need to breath in freefall b/c oxygen is forced through the skin." That's how the segment ended!

This rumor is way pervasive.

I do have to admit I was fooled into believing that. I think I read something from RECdot and I was like...No way! BS! wait...actually that sort of makes sense...I don't remember breathing on my jump...

:DUs noobs are so gullable.

I took a friend out for a tandem and on the way to altitude he mentioned that he was excited about the fact that he didn't have to breathe on the way down(due to the O2 going through his skin). The funny thing is that I had never mentioned this to him before so I'm not really sure where he got it from.

YOu know everyone says it is not true (oxygen forced into your system by freefall) but I have had a few science prof. here at my university say that it is a likely effect but that the time of freefall is to short to know and to go higher you have to have breathing help and more weather resistant materials to get to altitude..
So some of my teachers with PhD's say it is a very reasonable assumption that it does happen.. But more likely allows you to hold your breath for a long period of time rather than breath out through the pores which is where the difficulty come in.
wether you want to accept that opinon by them I as a skydiver and a student tend to believe them but,, without conclusive evidence!...
Is there any evidence for this action..

I do find that if I leave my mouth open in freefall, I can get quite a nice ram-air breathing effect, which saves me having to use my lungs to breathe in and out. :ph34r:

The bugs taste horrible, though. :o

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

But more likely allows you to hold your breath for a long period of time rather than breath out through the pores which is where the difficulty come in

I can fix that easy.

Tomorrow I'm going to take I-70 to St. Louis. I'll keep my left arm out the driver's side window and exhale through my right arm ;).

While walking to the plane at a demo...
A spectator pointed to the 4 smoke cans on my feet, and told his girlfriend...
"Those 'rockets' are how they move their bodies in freefall so they can do the big formations"
...things that make you go HUMMMMM!

4 smoke cans? jesus man what areyou trying to do signal a group of indians?

Thats either one expensive demo or one highly failsafe jump :)

Thinking about this (I'm a nationally-certified Emergency Medical Technician), here's my (somewhat educated) opinion: I'd have to say that it's possible (in fact, probable) that you do absorb some oxygen through your skin in freefall. But it's nowhere near enough to get oxygen into your bloodstream in sufficient quantities to be useful biologically; and since your breathing is regulated primarily by the CO2 level in your blood (the oxygen level in your blood is a distant second in healthy people when it comes to regulating breathing) , and you can't EXHALE through your skin (I can't, anyway), it's not useful.

I'd say it's not a medically useful effect. Stick to breathing with the lungs, whenever possible. :)

OK, I'm a chemical engineering student and I have to say this breathing through your skin stuff is total BS.

Here's a question, if gas molecules do permeate through skin, then why aren't we getting nitrogen poisoning since the atmosphere is 79% nitrogen?

Also you need tons of capillaries that are exposed to air in order to have an exchange of O2 and CO2 (ie LUNGS).

Perhaps I wasn't clear; I said that it was probable that _some_ O2 goes through your skin. It does it on the ground, too, along with nitrogen and other trace gases. Skin is, after all, highly permeable.

Nitrogen 'poisoning' is actually a form of narcosis caused by excessive nitrogen in the bloodstream – which further validates the point that any absorption through the skin is trivial and probably never gets into the blood supply in any meaningful amount.

O2 and CO2 exchange happens pretty rapidly even if you don't have many working capillaries (e.g, chronic smokers with COPD). But in order to get enough into the bloodstream, you're right, you need quite a few - much more than can get through the skin.

My point was that while his professors might be technically correct, like most PhDs, they lose the forest for the trees. ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to take I-70 to St. Louis. I'll keep my left arm out the driver's side window and exhale through my right arm ;).

:D:D:D
Thats funny shit. I have to agree I totally disagree with his/her professors at school. Next time your breathing try to exhale without inhaling.[:/]

OK, I'm a chemical engineering student and I have to say this breathing through your skin stuff is total BS.

Here's a question, if gas molecules do permeate through skin, then why aren't we getting nitrogen poisoning since the atmosphere is 79% nitrogen?

We don'rt get nitrogen poisoning because at 1ATM Nitrogen is an inert gas, we do breathe it in every time we breath.
As a chemical engineering student you should nknow that.;)
Any SCUBA diver should also know it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I do find that if I leave my mouth open in freefall, I can get quite a nice ram-air breathing effect, which saves me having to use my lungs to breathe in and out. :ph34r:

The bugs taste horrible, though. :o

If you eat bugs in freefall you have major issue's...most insects don't go any higher then 300 ft...:)

As for breathing through your skin at 160 mph.
Anyone who says it can be done, I dare you to take a ride om my motorcycle with your mouth and nose taped shut, I'll drive as fast as I can for 2 hours and we'll find out if it's realy possible to breath through your skin.../me thinks not...hehehe
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Makes me wonder how we still have dispensation to skydive, what with all those kooky perceptions out there. It's these misinterpretations and misconceptions that help foster fear and mindless restrictions.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

We don'rt get nitrogen poisoning because at 1ATM Nitrogen is an inert gas, we do breathe it in every time we breath.
As a chemical engineering student you should nknow that.;)
Any SCUBA diver should also know it.

Sorry, one more post to defend my integrity.:ph34r: And I'm sick of debating the war.

I never said we do not have nitrogen in our bloodstream. My point is that if our skin is permeable than we would not have the correct gas composition in our blood (blood does not contain 79% N2). Plus these gases would bubble and THAT is what would kill you.

BTW: I just heard a whuffo question!
I've talked my roommate into doing a tandem and I showed him a ton of videos. He asked how people are able to jump in freefly suits and regular clothes. I asked what he meant. Turns out that he had heard somewhere that grippers stopped the material from whipping you!

More on this topic about breathing through the skin.

One can say all they want about the possibilities of it. It is another thing entirely to speak about the comfort of it.

Hold your breath. The longer you hold it, your chest starts to hurt. This is due to the buildup of carbon dioxide in the lungs. The lungs have their own little sensors that tell you to "exhale, then inhale, dammit!"

Whether or not you breathe through the skin, you are going to have the concentration of CO2 in your lungs. And you will breathe because your body will tell you to get that stuff outta your lungs.

Hopefully this can clear up the practical. I cannot comment on the theoretical.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Ooo Ooo - i have another one...
while watcing the avi of the 282 way in thailand a whuffo colleague watched the pretty picture with all the blue white and red suits and said "I guess its up to the pilot to make sure they get out at the right place" which for a moment i thought she meant good spot - nope, she thought the pilots of the three hercs were inching around the sky and dropping each jumper off directly above their place in the formation :)When i explained that no they got out and flew themselves into place her reaction was " You have control after you get out of a plane? "
Noooo.. all over the world these complete idiots throw themselves toward a planet and have no control over what happens next. Is it any wonder they think we are mad?

Genie