CarlosDanger

VFS Dreaming

Putting aside the elements of putting together a team. What does it take to get to VFS competition level. It would definitely be a dream of mine, and now that there is 2way, that dream seems some what possible.

But today I stumbled upon azarsenal team member profiles, and each member has 7000+ freefly jumps and 1000+ tunnel hours. Which is kinda a lot. (7000*$20 jump) + (1000*800 tunnel hour) = $940,000

So my question is, what does it take to be at a VFS level that wont getting you laughed out of nationals. Has anyone competed with less then 1000 freefly jumps and less than 20 hours in the tunnel?

I know there are alot of ‘depends on’ answers, but I would like to hear some stories about ‘weekend warriors’ progressing to a competitive level. How did they get there without ‘cutting away.’

being that I am the one and only judge in VFS, I am here to tell you, anyone can compete. it does not matter how many jumps or tunnel hours you have. If you are serious about being the best at VFS all you have to do is show me what your team can do.

even if you arent the best you still get a free t-shirt.

welcome to the Vader Fucking Series

B|;):P

now go back and read to OP

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

you're also looking at the stats of a top tier team. They compete in the open category...the top. Like stated above, anyone can compete (think you have to have a c license for nationals).

But, if you want to be at the top you'll have to pay your dues....and that means putting in the time...time in the sport, time in the tunnel...and the time whoring yourself out to get there. All those guys/gals made huge sacrifices to get where they're at. Granted, it's much easier for them now....but to get there you'll have to make sacrifices.
my pics & stuff!

CarlosDanger

So my question is, what does it take to be at a VFS level that wont getting you laughed out of nationals.

Anyone who'd laugh at another team for their performance is full of themselves, taking things way to seriously and forgotten they too were rookies to competition at one point.

All the more experienced teams I know are more than willing to help out and give pointers to the less experienced teams at Nationals.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

countzero

So my question is, what does it take to be at a VFS level that wont getting you laughed out of nationals.

Anyone who'd laugh at another team for their performance is full of themselves, taking things way to seriously and forgotten they too were rookies to competition at one point.

All the more experienced teams I know are more than willing to help out and give pointers to the less experienced teams at Nationals.

This.

I'm not a VFS person, but I was really excited to see the 2-way VFS category tested this year because I really enjoy supporting my freefly friends in competing, and the 2-way category will (hopefully) open up competition to a whole new set of folks.

As a "weekend warrior" 4-way and 8-way person, I have seen exactly what you describe at every Nationals I've been to (3 so far). Everyone's there to have fun, and there's teams of all stripes there in every competitive class, from those who've trained seriously and intensely to those that threw together a pickup team an hour before registration closed, and everything in between. As long as you've got the baseline skills to compete safely in your chosen discipline, Nationals is very open and inclusive to all levels. I know it took me a long time to realize that, but now that I've gone a couple of times, I want to preach that gospel because it's a totally fun event that can often be inspiring to a "fun" team to take it to the next level. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know the teams that placed 1st in the 2-way VFS test event this year, both open and advanced. They are all weekend warriors. The most experienced person had around 2500 jumps, but everyone else had well under 2000 jumps. That said, they all had a fair bit of tunnel time, but you can do well without training full time. That might not be the case next year, as more people become interested in the discipline.

The 2nd place team in 4-way VFS advanced was also composed of part timers, and they gave the 1st place team a run for their money. In some ways 4-way is easier for the casual skydiver, as the dive pool is head-down dominant.

Open class 4-way VFS is a completely different game. There be dragons.

Hi!
Right now we are putting a competition in our home tunnel in Russia and I am an organizer. I always was a fan of VFS and tried to promote and evolve it here as hard as I could.

So, what we have now is 4 teams, all train for open-class. I honestly think that only one or two is really capable to fight in open class, rest should go to intermediate, but whatever.

Half of the participants are tunnel rats like me, rest are weekend warriors and also we have all-girls team from tunnel manifest and let me tell you, they rock!

You'll need at least a couple of ppl in the team who knows for sure what they are doing and what you should be doing. So here is a problem #1 - you'll need at least 2 good flyers who are interested to waste time and money while rest of the team getting up to their level. It is hard, but it is totally possible.

You'll need a tunnel. Period.

You'll need a team. I mean, real team. VFS is a FS, and it is all about 'team feel' and working together, not about 4 star flyers flying on their own.

It is hard to say if 20hrs of tunnel enough or not (there may be huge difference) but I could say for sure - if you will gather the team, your learning curve will go sky high. I see it every day.

So my opinion is - totally go for it. It will be hard, but you'l love it. And if you will be lucky enough to have a real team, you will become great flyer sooner that you ever expected -and this goes for every team member.