rsb5267

Pro Packing

faulk04

1) Go watch youtube video

2) At DZ, insist that you know everything you need to know properly because you watched a youtube video. Be sure to say this loudly and within earshot of the packers.

I predict your problem will sort itself out ASAP! If you want a free pack job from a D license guy, watch the psycho packing one (The one from PD, not that Austrialian guy with his nose-rolling voodoo) and start psycho packing it. I guarantee you someone will stop and help you. If not, well, you DO have another parachute! The psycho pack job will probably open, though! You might even not have line twists, if you do it right!

This is all horrible advice and you should definitely not follow any of it!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Actually, my husband learned how to pack in great part by repeatedly watching "Pack like a Pro" and practicing from it. He's had no malfunctions in nearly 3000 jumps.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

grue

I still don't get the hate for psycho packing…

I thoroughly enjoy watching people (especially newer jumpers) walk up to the rigger who is doing his 3000th consecutive malfunction free psycho packjob on a Xaos 78 at our dropzone and tell him that he is packing a line twist or doing it wrong.

grue

Couple times I tried it I got "You're going to line-burn holes in the top of your canopy." I was being careful to put the point where the lines go into the cocoon at the edge of the bag like the youtube video said, to reduce the risk of that happening!

That's not why I stopped though. I stopped because I was getting pretty frequent end-cell closures with it on my Safire 2. Between that and the added risk of line twists, I thought I was setting myself up for a malfunction I'd have to cut away from. I can deal with line twists, and I can deal with end cell closure, but if I see both at the same time, I'm cutting that fucker away.

I'll be the first to blame my shitty packing versus the method (Which seems at least feasible to me.) But I almost never get end cell closures pro packing it. I'll have to experiment with it again once my packing gets neater, though.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I have a newish Sabre 2 and boy does that canopy love to have end cell closure. Seems to fly pretty true even with the end cell closure. This past weekend, I did have two line twists with end cell closures and I was amazed how calm I stayed. I used brakes to get out of end cell closure and then worked on the line twists. Probably helped that I opened at 5K, thus giving me plenty of time.
Why does the Sabre 2 have this problem???

grue

Me either,

I have jumped over 200 + Psycho pack jobs and they work well. I took a little tweaking at first for my canopy, and you will need a short bridle extension. Psycho packing was introduced by George Galloway Precision Aerodynamics. If he had named it "Precision packing" instead then everyone would probably think its great.

Once in a while I might get an off heading or 1 ~ 2 line twists. I used to blame my pack job thinking that after 300 jumps I should have body position figured out, but I was wrong. I have recently started to learn wing suit flying where body position is vital at deployment time. What I am finding is that I get perfect deployments every time because I am focusing on body position.

dwhenline

I have a newish Sabre 2 and boy does that canopy love to have end cell closure. Seems to fly pretty true even with the end cell closure. This past weekend, I did have two line twists with end cell closures and I was amazed how calm I stayed. I used brakes to get out of end cell closure and then worked on the line twists. Probably helped that I opened at 5K, thus giving me plenty of time.

We had some complaints of that on the rental one I was jumping, so one of the riggers changed the line trim on it. I never had a problem on that canopy (loading at around 1.1:1) so I don't know if that helped the end cell closure problem, but I never had another hard opening on it after he did that.

When I was talking to the rigger about it, he mentioned that it was mostly happening to people who were loading it more lightly. I'll have to ask him if he's had any more complaints about it since he fixed the line trim.

dwhenline

I used brakes to get out of end cell closure and then worked on the line twists. Probably helped that I opened at 5K, thus giving me plenty of time.

I sure hope you learned this the other way around. Work to get out of the twist first and then deal with end-cell closure.

dwhenline

They just do. I asked the same question to a few riggers and got the same answer, "they just do" every time. I was jumping two different Saber 2s one was always fine and one always had this problem. Had the line trim looked at and everything was fine. I packed the same way on both so I know it was not my packing. Sometimes things just happen. I started pulling out the end cell noses a little when I pack and that fixed the problem. Rears, more then brakes, worked better for me to open up the end cells.

rsb5267

Anybody have any online resources (like videos) about pro packing? I'm a crappy packer and would like to see tutorials of pro packing so i can brush up during the week when im not at the DZ

Do a search, PD has some nice stuff to read as well, there are a lot of nice vidioes out there...many of my past replys have links, I'm on the road right now and can't do the cut and past thing...

A note about the Sabre 2 end cell closures, generally if you wait 5 / 9 seconds they resolve themselves and fully inflate on their own. Sometimes this time is taken up by playing with the risers front or back or whatever....you r occupying yourself doeing something,...and they just inflate on their own....Now I'm not saying you shouldn't pump your toggles here....if that be the case....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

A note about the Sabre 2 end cell closures, generally if you wait 5 / 9 seconds they resolve themselves and fully inflate on their own. Sometimes this time is taken up by playing with the risers front or back or whatever....you r occupying yourself doeing something,...and they just inflate on their own....Now I'm not saying you shouldn't pump your toggles here....if that be the case....

This is my experience also. When I first got the canopy, I'd immediately grab my toggles to fix the end cell closures which would then give me some hectic openings (heading-wise). I eventually learned that when I just wait a few seconds, they would inflate on their own and also give me more on-heading openings since I wasn't immediately grabbing my toggles. Now I just collapse and stow my slider, and by the time I'm done with that, the end cells are pretty much always fully inflated.

dwhenline, try just clearing your airspace, then do nothing but wait a few seconds and see if they inflate on their own without any inputs from you.

Here are some things that helped me.

1. Learn what part of the parachute is what. Is this the nose, the tail, the right, the left, ......what am I holding in my hand right how..
2. In addition to the videos, I visited the web sites of several parachute companies. I downloaded their manuals and studied them. A picture here or there can create an eureka moment.

I tried to first learn what I was doing (trying to do) and then learn how to do it. I tried just imitating someone but without understanding it was a waste of time. Learn the details of the objective and then learn the skill of how to carry it out.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

SStewart

***>I still don't get the hate for psycho packing…

Works for some people, doesn't work for others. Whatever works.

The ones it doesn't work for are doing it wrong;)

Depends how wrong ...... But I guess their rigger loves them .. what with all the repacks and all :P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

******>I still don't get the hate for psycho packing…

Works for some people, doesn't work for others. Whatever works.

The ones it doesn't work for are doing it wrong;)

Depends how wrong ...... But I guess their rigger loves them .. what with all the repacks and all :P

Hmmmm, I am a rigger and no chops after 10 years of psycho packing. Come to think of it I don't remember any repacks after a save from psycho packing. But to be fair not too many people pack this way at my DZ.

The reality is once the canopy is out of the bag it makes no difference if it was rolled or folded.
Onward and Upward!

The reality is once the canopy is out of the bag it makes no difference if it was rolled or folded.

In the F1-11 days I use a Raeper (frap-strap) - then there IS no bag.

Rolled the tail toward the center, same with the nose - coil the lines in the container and smash the two rolled 'tubes' of canopy on top & close.

I was packed literally in 2 minutes - never had a malfunction, line twist or off heading opening...once it hits the wind, it's gonna open. B|

Wouldn't do it with Zpo though...:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

the type of canopy I'm jumping seems to matter more than how I bagged it as far as openings go IMO

I had a Nitro that would always open firmly (too firm for my taste)... my two Nitrons inflated slightly slower (different fabric type) and opened much more comfortably. They were keepers.

My Pulse opens like a student canopy.. just leave it alone, no user input required. My Safire was the same way but with the world's longest snivel.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080