joelgibson

Non USPA dropzone let me do my own video

Um good for them? Not sure what reaction you wanted to get out of this thread. Looked like crappy video of the ground and your audio under canopy. I hope they didn't charge you for that...

Glad you started doing it on your own though! Have fun!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

joelgibson

A non USPA dropzone let me do my own [tandem] video 17 jumps ago

Do you mean a DZ that is not USPA Group Member DZ? If so, that is unrelated to them allowing you to do your own tandem video.

As to whether that was a good idea, well, it has been discussed in a few threads around here.

I have to agree with the comment above... Not sure what reaction you were hoping to invoke. Probably not too many folks on here are real keen on students/tandem students/pax jumping video. Read around a little and find out why. Boasting that you shot this at a non-USPA member dropzone is, to me, kind of like saying "Hey look at me I wanted to do my own thing, ignore the advice of most everyone else, and actually did it - Here's the crappy video to prove it!"[:/]

ChuckMartin

Not smart man. Think you would have known what to do if you had a problem.

How do you know it wasn't safe? Do you know any specifics, like how the camera was mounted, or any other details. Any background experience jumping tandems? Any experience letting your students bring along a gopro?

No? None? Oh OK, thanks for sharing.:|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

joelgibson

1st tandem i had no idea what was going on

What exactly is your angle with this thread. It appears that several jumps later you still have no idea what is going on. :S

The dropzone was nice enough to let you bring what I assume is your chest mount for your gopro, and they let you get some of your own footage.

Aside from the fact that your footage sucked, there really is zero extra risk the tandem instructor placed on you. Some safety nazi is going to come on and grill me now, but I place a huge amount of concern over my students safety, and this really isn't an area of measurable extra risk.

For comparison sake a tandem instructor that lets a student jump with hiking boots with lace hook is being waaaaaaaaaay more risky, than letting a tandem have a gopro on a chest mount, or somehow on their belly band or chest strap.

Did you ask them about this now that you have some additional information before you decided to out them on dropzone.com for something that was nice, and not a safety risk.
=P

DougH

Aside from the fact that your footage sucked,

Well, still high emotional attachment and valuable as "memorabilia", being a "proof" of your first jump ever. I wish I had a little something to show for my 1st Tandem now.

And I also agree that I don't see how a chest-mounted camera on a tandem student can pose any significant risk, when the TI is still in charge of everything.
Maybe if it was hand-mounted on the student, then yes, since having a student that waves around his camera trying to get the shot, could very well affect the flight. But chest mounted? Nah.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

through the eyes of a skydiver yeah it kinda sucks.

But from a POV of someone who has never been in the sky before it's pretty much exactly as you would see it.
I hope the video helps the OP relive the rush and fun of his Jump.
Good for you dude.:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

DougH

***Not smart man. Think you would have known what to do if you had a problem.

How do you know it wasn't safe? Do you know any specifics, like how the camera was mounted, or any other details. Any background experience jumping tandems? Any experience letting your students bring along a gopro?

No? None? Oh OK, thanks for sharing.:|

Later I said I didn't know it was a tandem. Thought he was doing this on a solo. That better? Yes? Ok Thanks for sharing.

ChuckMartin

Later I said I didn't know it was a tandem. Thought he was doing this on a solo. That better? Yes? Ok Thanks for sharing.

Not not really. You got all sensational about how dangerous it was without knowing any of the facts. And then even after getting them, and admittedly having zero experience in jumping tandems you were again weighing in with you expert safety observations that your didn't think it was a good idea.

The guys has 18 jumps and he appears to be fishing for someone that will tell him what a reckless bunch of yahoos the "non USPA" pirate operation is.

Your not helping anyone out by fueling the thread with unfounded comments about safety.
=P

DougH

Not not really. You got all sensational about how dangerous it was without knowing any of the facts. And then even after getting them, and admittedly having zero experience in jumping tandems you were again weighing in with you expert safety observations that your didn't think it was a good idea.

The guys has 18 jumps and he appears to be fishing for someone that will tell him what a reckless bunch of yahoos the "non USPA" pirate operation is.

Your not helping anyone out by fueling the thread with unfounded comments about safety.

Hey man all I said was it might not be the smartest idea you're the one that "got all sensational" about it. I admit my first comment I didn't have all the facts, if I watched the whole video I would have heard two people talking and knew it was a tandem for that sorry, yeah I made a mistake. Second one I said that I didn't know it was one and said that it just might not be the best idea. If anybody is fueling anything it's you so simmer down now mkay.

Di0

Aside from the fact that your footage sucked,

Well, still high emotional attachment and valuable as "memorabilia", being a "proof" of your first jump ever. I wish I had a little something to show for my 1st Tandem now.

And I also agree that I don't see how a chest-mounted camera on a tandem student can pose any significant risk, when the TI is still in charge of everything.
Maybe if it was hand-mounted on the student, then yes, since having a student that waves around his camera trying to get the shot, could very well affect the flight. But chest mounted? Nah.

No comment on safety, etc. But I do wish I had gotten the video package on my first tandem. My reasoning at the time was I didn't want to look silly if I was scared or whatever (which I was!). I did get video on my first AFF jump though which was awesome!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Actually - I think it was an amazing video. Handcams and outside camera are 'a dime a dozen' all over youtube. This was in fact the first one I ever saw that was all the way from the passengers perspective. Pretty Cool IMHO...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...