textandstage

Interesting technology, wonder if it could be applied to skydiving safety....

Came across this today. I'm a total noob (38 jumps), so I don't really know if this sort of technology could be practically applicable to skydiving, but I thought it was interesting and that folks here might like it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aX-WXBMI8I

Edited to Add: Perhaps in a full body configuration as a sort of final measure if one finds themselves still falling at a high rate of speed (with as much nylon as they can get out over them), under 1000 ft. ?

textandstage

By no means was I suggesting that one shouldn't wear a helmet. I was more thinking in terms of a wearable, full-body, airbag....

You don't need an airbag; Just a *big* pile of cardboard boxes!:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is the best adaptation of that technology that I'm aware of. It's interesting, & great for MC racing. Don't see the benefit for this sport, though. Not-for-nothing, but $2500 will buy a whole lot of canopy coaching. Wear what you will. Tumble across the ground enough times, & you will get hurt.

[Url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRJPnFgMyvw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

it's definitely an interesting idea, but sometimes technology doesn't transfer across sports as easily as we'd like.

the idea of an airbag like that is compelling, but let's look at a few things just for conversation:

-what are the most common types of injuries in skydiving? is this going to reduce that number enough to make it desirable?

-does the current design of that device fit in with skydiving mechanics? that is, could wearing it make our sport less safe resulting in further injury, prompting a redesign for a skydiving version? It looks quite bulky as it is. In skydiving, opposed to cycling, we move our head in more directions more frequently. Anything that could be perceived as inhibiting head movement could cause a dangerous scenario, or people to not want to use it.

-how would you change the activation parameters? the video looks like it activates after impact. I'm sure that's not how you want this to work for skydiving :)

just some food for thought...

"... In skydiving, opposed to cycling, we move our head in more directions more frequently. ..."

.................................................................................

You clearly don't ride the same way I do. I am PARANOID when riding a bicycle or motorcycle ... expecting an idiot car-driver to hit me every minute.
In the autumn of 2008, I ended up in court after a car knocked me off my bicycle.

Original thinking!
However, I am more interested in the airbags worn by para-glider pilots to reduce spinal injuries. I still suffer sciatica from my last skydiving accident.
I wonder if a stream-lined air-bag would improve swoop performance.
The next challenge is to build an airbag that will reduce femur fractures???????

I was thinking along the lines of a modified version of the technology that could somehow be incorporated into a jumpsuit to provide a full body airbag that could be deployed by a jumper approaching impact at a high rate of speed (a reserve-main entanglement for instance). I don't begin to know enough about the technology to know if that's a practical idea, but it would be awesome to add ways for jumpers to mitigate the risk of death in less than ideal situations where other avenues have been exhausted (everything's already out and he/she is still plummeting....)

its fascinating but realize that extremity injuries would require rigidity otherwise you just allow for more force to be applied directionally. It would be bulky, need to be designed for descending and pressure changes, and with the bulk of skydiving injuries being hard landings (apparently swooping) you have to ask how would it activate? What prevents accidental activation?

I think the motorcycle ones can protect the spine somewhat, which may be the best intent of it, but it may need more time to really sort out the bugs. But hey, its a start ;)

I really think that someone needs to come up with a system that when enough centripetal force is applied it cuts away the offending canopy. THat would be easier and landing under a spinning canopy when the G forces get high is another major issue. Maybe an aad like device that does more (is smarter) than what we have?
You are not the contents of your wallet.