peter.xu

How many people are flying Wingsuit on this planet ?

I just want to make a Data for manage the Wingsuit Population for my home work. And Im asking help to know aprox how many People are Flying WIngsuit in Skydive and BASE Jump Total. I just really want to know the number ,thats all.
I want a Bridman GTi...... Soo bad...

megamalfunction

You could try emailing the some of the wingsuit manufacturers. They might be willing to tell you how many suits they've sold. I would assume that there are roughly as many wingsuit pilots as there are suits.

Maybe suits sold/3.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

You want to... manage, the wingsuit population?
I'm with Bluhdow. Good luck with that. Wingsuiters are notoriously unmanageable. We're even worse than freefliers because we rather stubbornly refuse to fall straight down like we're supposed to, except for those of us that choose to, just because they happen to feel contrary today. And we're nonjudgemental... we're all about choices, we don't give them a hard time, we usually just look at em funny.

As for how many of us there are? Well, its really one of those zen questions, like "How many birds can you fit on a phone line?"

Did you ever watch birds trying to resolve that question? Worse, did you ever try counting them? One bird lands on the line, two fall off. They circle around, land, knock off two or three more. One or two fly away, one lands, knocks two more off. Three more come from somewhere and try to land, knocking off five more and causing the others to start arguing. While three of the five start trying to land, they push a few more off trying to make room, those five all land but there's still four or five circling around for another go.

Then they land, without waiting for the others to clear some space and cause an avalanche, knocking off eight to ten at once, who will all flutter around for awhile heckling the ones still on the wire for being a bunch of dinks. The ones on the wire will helpfully make more room, but when eight birds try to land three succeed, five fail and knock off six more while they're at it. Those six circle around but discover there are somehow now thirteen birds still without a perch because two more came from who knows where and jumped on the load without asking.

Three more leave the wire voluntarily and fly away, probably to go hassle manifest about all this, while ten birds try to land on the space left by three, and five of them hassle the purple one for not being ready and rigging his feathers up on the line. Seven succeed, knocking off four more in the process, leaving seven birds without a perch, one big yellow one clinging to the side of the phone pole waiting for everyone to go at once, and six of them arguing about whether we're supposed to go on 3,2,-1-, or 3,2,1, go. While they're arguing, four of the seven all bunch up near the big yellow one and fit five birds in the space normally occupied by three, leaving three more still without a perch, knocking off two more and blaming the new birds for it. A little red one starts trying to get about a hundred of them to all go at once, but they have to register in advance. Two of the new birds agree to stay at the edge of the line while five others all think they're qualified to decide despite the fact that the older birds don't think they're ready for that yet, and three prove them right by fumbling their grip, falling off, and taking two more birds with them.

Six more think that means its time to go and bail voluntarily without checking the spot, at the same time seven are trying to land, knocking off three more and landing five, while two more sink out, the ones who knew what was going on all laugh at them, and a blue and yellow one tells them they really needed more training for this. Two of the three that left earlier return and try to land on the wire but there's no more room, until the blue and white one decides to try to solve the problem by perching upside down on the underside of the wire with a big grin, three of the others who don't know how many birds there are on the line stare at him wondering why he's doing that and two others pull out Gopros and start taking pictures of that one and putting them up on Facebook, while two more try to land in the space he's just vacated.

One of the new ones decides the upside down one has the right idea and tries it too but gets burbled by another who just failed to land and falls off, taking two more birds with him, making five laugh while three more land, none of whom know what the dive plan is. A black and white one known for leaving flaming wreckage behind him starts doing magic tricks while a navy blue and yellow one goes almost straight down spinning rapidly just for the hell of it. Three more land.

Finally an orange one and a blue one offer lessons in acro, distracting several new ones from trying a perch they aren't qualified for yet, while the blue and yellow one with lots of spare feathers starts teaching the newer ones in a standardized fashion, five new ones follow the purple one and land out, and the upside down blue and white one drops off and flies away very, very slowly. Three more new ones follow that one for lessons while six others try it themselves with oversized feathers they weren't ready to fly yet and don't really get anywhere with it. Meanwhile another slightly bigger red one starts renting red feathers to the new birds who haven't decided what color and size feathers to get, yet.
Three more fall off.
Seven more come out of nowhere and land.
Now.
How many birds are on the phone line?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

NWFlyer

That seems a bit high, but it depends on who you count.
I think there are at least that many people that HAVE flown in a wingsuit, but less that currently do it on a regular basis.
One or two thousand is my guess.
But what do I know?

lurch

As for how many of us there are? Well, its really one of those zen questions, like "How many birds can you fit on a phone line?"

*golfclap*

Pure. Fucking. Brilliance. B|:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I"d be willing to bet that there are not 1000 people in the world who actively jump wingsuits. That's both skydiving and BASE combined. Seriously.

I've always got around ten suits on hand personally and the great majority of wingsuiters I know have at least two, so getting totals from manufacturers would be pointless. Also there are a ton of people out there who may have made five or ten wingsuit jumps, bought a suit, and put it in a closet to never be used again.

Chuck

SkymonkeyONE

I"d be willing to bet that there are not 1000 people in the world who actively jump wingsuits. That's both skydiving and BASE combined. Seriously.

I've always got around ten suits on hand personally and the great majority of wingsuiters I know have at least two, so getting totals from manufacturers would be pointless. Also there are a ton of people out there who may have made five or ten wingsuit jumps, bought a suit, and put it in a closet to never be used again.

Chuck

Man...that seems pretty low. Maybe it's just my being in SoCal and at the DZ(s) every weekend, but I feel like I could go on Facebook and pull up 50-60 pretty easily...just from my personal network.

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say 3000 globally, between BASE and SKY, active jumpers. Active being WS at least once a month.

Total guess. I have no idea.
Apex BASE