DrDom

What should a new jumper start with in terms of gear?

Hello all,
My wife had asked me the other day if there was any gear that I needed as I progressed as a student in skydiving pushing toward my A license. The reason she asked is because she's more than aware that its not exactly a cheap sport and it got me thinking... where DOES one start? As the winter hits and we get dormant in New England I figured it was a good time to pick up some items.

Anyhow, advice on what to start? I don't "need" anything until off A I would imagine... but are there things I can use toward the end of my training while transitioning from student gear? Anything I should AVOID?

Thanks all :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

Hello all,
My wife had asked me the other day if there was any gear that I needed as I progressed as a student in skydiving pushing toward my A license. The reason she asked is because she's more than aware that its not exactly a cheap sport and it got me thinking... where DOES one start? As the winter hits and we get dormant in New England I figured it was a good time to pick up some items.

Anyhow, advice on what to start? I don't "need" anything until off A I would imagine... but are there things I can use toward the end of my training while transitioning from student gear? Anything I should AVOID?

At 5 jumps I'd go for tunnel time and trips to southern DZ's before buying gear.

Once you get off student status you'll get annoyed at having to borrow the DZ's helmets, alti's, suits...then the real spending starts.:P

I'd avoid an Argus AAD. ;)

Trafficdiver

***Hello all,

At 5 jumps I'd go for tunnel time and trips to southern DZ's before buying gear.

Once you get off student status you'll get annoyed at having to borrow the DZ's helmets, alti's, suits...then the real spending starts.:P

I'd avoid an Argus AAD. ;)

I have a fair budget for tunnel time, my wife may not approve of travel to jump in the winter but I'm working on that (maybe find a medical conference someplace warm that has a DZ nearby.... then I can have work pay for it!)

... I doubt I'll finish my A by the end of the year so i'll have to re-establish currency regardless. I hate cold climates.

I was thinking maybe goggles , helmet, gloves... stuff that's "clothing" and wont be really outgrown or change much. Are these good purchases or just stuff I'll end up putting on the classifieds later? Should I buy it used?

I worry that I will be getting along fine with student stuff and hit my A and suddenly have to buy a BUNCH of stuff at once to keep going. Trying to space out the madness, and stay married.

Argus AAD... i'm a long way from an AAD purchase but I'll filter that in the back of my mind to not get :)

I'll happily take "don't buy ______" for advice so I don't waste time later ;)

DrDom

I have a fair budget for tunnel time, my wife may not approve of travel to jump in the winter but I'm working on that (maybe find a medical conference someplace warm that has a DZ nearby.... then I can have work pay for it!)

... I doubt I'll finish my A by the end of the year so i'll have to re-establish currency regardless. I hate cold climates.

I was thinking maybe goggles , helmet, gloves... stuff that's "clothing" and wont be really outgrown or change much. Are these good purchases or just stuff I'll end up putting on the classifieds later? Should I buy it used?

I worry that I will be getting along fine with student stuff and hit my A and suddenly have to buy a BUNCH of stuff at once to keep going. Trying to space out the madness, and stay married.

Argus AAD... i'm a long way from an AAD purchase but I'll filter that in the back of my mind to not get :)

I'll happily take "don't buy ______" for advice so I don't waste time later ;)

There's your answer, Helmet, goggles, gloves and Alti. Proper Logbook, bag of mil spec bands,
cheap Jumpsuit,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Almost any gear purchase you will get your money out of. Start with cheap stuff. Goggles, open face helmet. An analog altimeter, jumpsuit, and then start looking for gear. If you're going to play in the tunnel for winter you could use your goggles, helmet and jumpsuit. Just start with the basics

ALL STUDENTS WILL NEED AN AAD, depending on your budget will determine whether you get brand new or used, if Cypress get four or eight service done. Whatever on crap gear, will you be able to land an old ass falcon 235 in no wind conditions? And have your life saved when your head got introduced to someones knee in free fall?

As a person who is just about to get their A license I went through the same thing. I did practice in the tunnel and it does help in being able to maneuver better in freefall. It's not exactly the same(you're not wearing a rig, the air is very smooth and stable, sometimes they lower the speed for safety so it doesn't feel like your going terminal). I would think of it as a tool that augments a small part of skydiving. If you can afford to go and have time I would suggest trying it.

My first piece of gear was a pair of goggles. I didn't buy gloves because I'm in a warm area, but I suggest getting those too since it sounds like you're in the cold. From there I just kept on buying things that I knew I could use as a student that wouldn't affect me down the line. My next purchases were an altimeter and helmet.

For the more expensive items, save it till you're closer to getting your A. As students we slowly learn that there are a lot of disciplines. Once you get near that A license you'll have a better understanding of what you want to go towards, whether it be freeflying, rw, etc. Also I've seen some people quit in the middle of student status, so it's best not to buy expensive items until you're fully committed to skydiving.

I still have yet to decide which route I want to go, but you'll soon find out that some gear is tailored for various disciplines. Both jumpsuits and rigs/main canopies can be very situational.

Like Katscan, I obtained goggles, (analog) altimeter, and helmet before or around the time of my A license. Also a weight belt, but you might not have that problem.

I actually ended up with four pairs of goggles, all donated to me by fun jumpers at the DZ who traded them in for full-face helmets. Which, by the way, I bought for myself as an A license present. There is a cool factor there, not gonna lie--but more to the point, it is really, really nice to have the closed visor on chilly morning jumps right now! I can imagine it will only get more useful as fall turns to winter. (nb: Your DZ might not allow full-face helmets until you are off student status--mine doesn't--so be sure to check on that) But be sure to ask around a little about googles. B|

Also regarding colder weather: I started jumping with thin, "summer" weight gloves a couple weeks ago, because I know I will need heavy ones in the winter. It does not seem prudent to go from nothing to thick. But you'd also want to make sure gloves are okay on student status.

DrDom

Hello all,

Good quality analogue altimeter (can be used)
Clear goggles
Open face helmet that fits well and can have an audible
Audible altimeter

I would also get a cheap used jumpsuit. But this takes more thought, I wouldn't recommend getting a freefly suit because you should really get descent on your belly first. Booties are preferable on the suit and you can always tuck them in until you are ready for them.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm pretty much piggybacking what others are saying here-- if you're going to concentrate on tunnel for the winter, then just stick with the stuff you'd need for that anyway. Helmet, goggles, and maybe even hold off on a shiny new suit until your rolling along a little better in the next few months. Use the tunnel suits and just beat the crap out of those for a while.

When jumping comes around, the alti would probably be a smart purchase. Don't be in a rush to get all shiny new rig/canopy/aad stuff yet. Demo and rent a bit off of your A-license jump and find out what gear and canopy size you like and are comfortable with. Make sure to chat up your instructors about gear choices too. :)
FWIW I didn't purchase anything until I had about 100 jumps and knew I could be in a rig that could fit a 150 and allow me to downsize to a 135 eventually without having to buy another container. Worked out great that way for me.

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Awesome thanks guys!
To clarify, I'm not planning a rig/canopy/AAD/etc purchase for a while. I really don't mind renting that for a loooong time. I like slow canopy rides right now and want to work on fundamentals. Its more of a thought that I could be more comfortable in clothes that fit (the rigs for rent fit me like a glove, I like them).

Thinking of gloves... my first landing I botched I tore up my palm a bit (nothing major) and thought maybe a pair of super lightweight leather gloves may have made the difference in not ending up so beaten on the rock. Those, though, make me the most nervous because I'm still not loving the idea of losing any tactile sensation.

Quick Q on helmets: I do not like the look of a full face (I know, everyone says there is a cool factor but I like an open face) but I like the idea if I were to faceplant that something is in front of me. Maybe remnant from my motorcycle years. Pro/Con for them other than look? I just need one that keeps wind noise down (my tinnitus kills me after jumps)

Thank you all VERY much, this has been enlightening :)

In no particular order :
Altimeter
Jumpsuit
Helmet
Gear bag
Goggles ( good ones, not the shit they sell out of the trunk of car )
Log book ( a real "dead tree" one, a surprising number of DZ's won't accept your iPhone app as proof )
Dytter or other audible altimeter
Packing or "drag" mat
Helmet bag
Gloves, both winter and summer ones
Hook knife
SIM copy ( download the PDF for free )

That ought to keep you busy for a while :)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I've just got my A licence and so far I have:

jumpsuit - used (I got a fs one with grips because I will use it in the tunnel and I will also need it for my FS1 if I ever want to jump with other people. The ones I can borrow at my dz are manky! Mostly torn and in need of a good wash! Not to mention most of them are way too big for me)

helmet - used open face (actually lent to me on semi-permanent loan). In the UK we can't wear a full face helmet until we have our B licence (50 jumps, CH2, JM1)

Goggles - clear but with swappable lenses (new) so I can have tinted or yellow. Cost GBP19 so about 30 USD I think. They have foam padding and are much more comfortable than the horrid plastic goggles students are loaned.

Gloves - new. I've always worn gloves right from the start so it wasn't an issue for me to buy my own. They sell them in our jump shop - leather palms for good grip. Mine are a snug fit - if it's cold enough that I need liners, I won't be jumping anyway! Similar cost to goggles

Hook knife - was given to me as a present for passing my A licence. I was not allowed to wear one as a student, then was told by my CCI to get one once I'd passed. GBP10 (16 USD). Many jumpers wear 2 or more so they can be sure of getting to one if they ever need it.

Next purchase will be an analogue altimeter. If I can get a used one, I will but they get snapped up very fast so I may need to get a new one. Make sure it fits you comfortably and won't twist round on your wrist in free fall (happened to me once with a student one that only had a wrist strap and no finger loops).

I will rent rigs until I know what size I want - not sure why everyone gets so obsessed with buying their own gear when it's so expensive. The cheapest full rig I've seen that I would consider buying is about GBP 3000 - at GBP10-12 a time to rent gear that gets packed for me, that's a lot of jumps before I break even!! Maybe 2+ years worth in the UK.... And it would still need servicing / reserve repacks /AAD services etc

Maybe if I struggle to rent gear in the high season, I will reconsider but for now, I'm in no rush
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

A well fitting helmet with padding tight to the ears will help with wind noise. I wear my helmet on the climb to altitude to protect my ears.

A full face can have the visor removed to allow for the feeling of air on the face and some chin protection. Make sure you check fit before you buy. The shape of your head makes a big difference on full face helmets. I am a member of the freekishly large head club and only a few full face helmets fit. Have many more options in an open face.

Regarding rigs, I am in the club of buying used as soon as you can. Gear sized to new jumpers is always in demand. You can buy used, put a bunch of jumps on it and sell it for just a little less than what you paid. Buy it for the size you want to jump know. The culture in skydiving tends to push people to downsize. If you like slow long flights, good for you. I didn't downsize until I had 350 jumps on my first canopy, which I made my first jump on at jump 36.

Keep on asking questions. I found a great way to learn was once the beer light is turned on. Have two cold bottles of good brew, walk up to a mentor on the DZ, pop the bottles open and hand one over. You should have their attention for about 12 ounces. I have learned a lot with that technique, which I learned from a mentor. (Thanks Cliff).
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I would buy a new rig right now. You want to have your own before you get off student status or else you'll be paying $25-$35 per jump for rig rental.

I would recommend buying new vs. used, seeing that fresh crisp canopy open above you.. there's nothing like it. New canopies feel so smooth. I remember the first time my new canopy opened, so smooth and fresh it was awesome. It's still crisp but the first time was sweet.

First things I bought were:
Helmet.
Altimeter.
Goggles.
Gloves.
Got rid of helmet, and got a full face instead.
Jumpsuit is going to be custom made, so until it's done one my instructors was kind enough to lend me his RW suit so I can start getting used to booties, the DZ ones are crap and have no booties.

Then now I'm starting to look for rigs.

Kalrigan

First things I bought were:
Helmet.
Altimeter.
Goggles.
Gloves.
Jumpsuit is going to be custom made, so until it's done one my instructors was kind enough to lend me his RW suit so I can start getting used to booties, the DZ ones are crap and have no booties.

Which reminds me... Function of the booties? Friend of mine said get a "free fly" suit without booties and I wasn't sure what it all means. Our student suits have none... Do they help?

Are there requirements in the states about full helmets? Maybe I'll buy an open one to start

DrDom

***First things I bought were:
Helmet.
Altimeter.
Goggles.
Gloves.
Jumpsuit is going to be custom made, so until it's done one my instructors was kind enough to lend me his RW suit so I can start logetting used to booties, the DZ ones are crap and have no booties.

Which reminds me... Function of the booties? Friend of mine said get a "free fly" suit without booties and I wasn't sure what it all means. Our student suits have none... Do they help?

Are there requirements in the states about full helmets? Maybe I'll buy an open one to start

Booties (also called boosters) give your legs more drive, so turning, driving forward and tracking are all easier. They are worth having, and I disagree about starting with a FF suit.

There is no US requirement for full face. Full face cut the wind noise down, are less effort overall and give you a wider field of view, the downside is that they do make it harder to see your handles. Despite this, I think open face helmets are a better first helmet. If you want to buy strategically get an open face with a chin cup and cutaway, then when you get to camera jumps it can become your gopro helmet.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm a long... Long... Long way from cameras ;)
I'll pick up a decent open helmet and some goggles. Found a used suit for 150 (rw suit). I'm waiting for a deal on a nice altimeter.
That will get me started. And new shoes. That's kind of dive related and kind of "current ones about to die" :)

Now I just wish it wasn't raining in my days off :/

DrDom

I'm a long... Long... Long way from cameras ;)
I'll pick up a decent open helmet and some goggles. Found a used suit for 150 (rw suit). I'm waiting for a deal on a nice altimeter.
That will get me started. And new shoes. That's kind of dive related and kind of "current ones about to die" :)

Now I just wish it wasn't raining in my days off :/

I agree camera's are a long way off, just suggesting that a full face that has the key features necessary for safe use doesn't cost much more, for when the time comes. BTW my open face is from 2KComposites in the UK, good value and has nice cushioning/sound proofing.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck with your jumping:)

Obtain a copy of The Parachute and its Pilot by Brian Germain. Read it over the winter, several times. You can skip the HP stuff.

Jump during the winter, cold dense air on a day with snow on the ground is one of the true joys of canopy flight.

Since you are a doc, join SoFPiDaRF and check out the xrays of all the people who got the T shirt. It will give you an idea of the price one can pay when playing chicken with the blue rock.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

buff

Obtain a copy of The Parachute and its Pilot by Brian Germain. Read it over the winter, several times. You can skip the HP stuff.

Jump during the winter, cold dense air on a day with snow on the ground is one of the true joys of canopy flight.

Since you are a doc, join SoFPiDaRF and check out the xrays of all the people who got the T shirt. It will give you an idea of the price one can pay when playing chicken with the blue rock.

Read that book and his transcending fear. Like them both.
What is sofpidarf?
I understand the consequences... That's why I'm trying to be safe. Looking at X-rays may make me second guess. It's like making a pilot watch airline crashes.

DrDom

***Obtain a copy of The Parachute and its Pilot by Brian Germain. Read it over the winter, several times. You can skip the HP stuff.

School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flight.
A place where large egos interface with orthopod skills to increase wingloading through stainless steel implants.

Read that book and his transcending fear. Like them both.
What is sofpidarf?
I understand the consequences... That's why I'm trying to be safe. Looking at X-rays may make me second guess. It's like making a pilot watch airline crashes.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

DrDom

I just need one that keeps wind noise down (my tinnitus kills me after jumps)

You should seriously consider getting ear protection. I certainly did when my coaches allowed me to do so. The first few jumps I had a radio so this option was not available. Do a search on the forums on ear protection. There are lots of threads covering this and it's probably the lowest cost piece of gear you can purchase. I myself currently have a pair of Surefire Sonic Defenders, but I have also used standard foam ones. Both work fine, it's just a matter of preference.

There will always been wind noise no matter open or closed face helmet. It's just a matter of how much you can reduce the noise. Save your ears!!