Nightingale

Skydiving for 15 year old?

Hi, everyone-

Natalie Hill of Coos Bay, Oregon, is a 15 year old girl who is dying of cancer. She has osteosarcoma that started in her knee, metastasized to her lungs, and her doctors don't think she has long to live. She's posted a bucket list online of things she'd like to do in the time she has left, and one of the things she's listed is skydiving.

Normally, we make people wait until they're 18 for a first jump. From what she's written and the news reports about her, barring a miracle, Natalie probably isn't going to see 18. Her tumors are inoperable and doctors are focusing on keeping her comfortable. According to her facebook page, her birthday is Dec 15, so she's almost 16. Are there still any dropzones that allow jumps at 16?

I figured if there was somebody that can grant this girl's wish of a skydive, it would be somebody here, so I thought I'd post it. She's also got a ride in a hot air balloon on her list.

If you can help or know someone who can, her website is linked below. You can get in touch with her on her facebook page, or by commenting in the updates section of the website.

Thanks for reading.

-Kris

http://teamnatalie.weebly.com/about-natalie.html

http://teamnatalie.weebly.com/bucket-list.html

http://www.kcby.com/news/local/101329264.html (an optimistic article from a year ago)

http://kdcq.com/2011/11/fundraiser-for-natalie-hill-at-occi-november-19th/
(a more recent article referencing Natalie's Bucket List)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Natalie-Hill-Updates/288327227860541

I don't know if travel is possible. But this charity is directly specifically setup for this.

http://www.jumpstart.org.nz/

Bonus is that they get to jump a C130. If it is of interest drop me a PM and I can give you details for a TI/AFF-I friend of mine that is involved with the project.

To jump in the US, I am sure I have heard of the USPA providing waivers for special cases like this?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

To jump in the US, I am sure I have heard of the USPA providing waivers for special cases like this?

USPA passed a 13 year old terminally ill with leukemia to do a tandem, so its possible.

If anyone can make a jump happen for Natalie Im willing to help out monetarily to pay for her jump, or help with airfare or accommodations. PM me info where I can help out if possible.

I hope she gets her wish:)

HI Night,

It is the rainy season here in Oregon but contact these folks:

http://www.skydiveoregon.com/index.php?px_source=google&px_campaign=google:search:6132706718:gift_certificates:skydive%20oregon&px_medium=search&px_phrase=skydive%20oregon

JerryBaumchen

PS) Joe may have a hard veneer but he is really a nice guy.

Here's the reply I got asking how to go about a jump for her situation:

Hi Shawn,
A waiver request will need to be completed and submitted to the regional director for the region where the jump will take place, and a copy of that waiver to me at USPA HQ, as well. The Board of Directors will need to vote on whether to approve the jump or not. The manufacturer of the tandem gear used for the jump will also need to approve the jump. Uspa.org is down right now, but the waiver form and instructions can be found under the USPA Members/Safety section of the website.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Crouch | Director of Safety & Training

If someone wants to contact Skydive Oregon and ask if they can help out getting this done, or tell me to and I will. If they can help, then contact Natalie and her parents.

This should be a snap to pull off. Get the RD to sign off on the waiver, and have the RD contact the BOD members to vote on this ASAP (waiting until the Feb meeting is not an option). Find a DZ and TI willing to do the jump, and it shouldn't take more than one phone call to the manufacturer to get their permission.

The whole point of tandems needing to be 18 is the legal liability. It's got nothing to do with the mechanics of the jump or the gear, it's just that nobody wants to get sued. In these types of cases, a lawsuit isn't a real problem.

Beyond that, the DZ, pilot, TI, video guy and packer should all be willing to do the jump for free. I've shot video for a couple of these 'make a wish' jumps, and would never dream of taking a dime for any of it. If some sick kid's dying wish is to do what I get to do every weekend, it's my honor to be able to share that with them.

I am new to this sport and I have to say how proud I am to be a part of this family. It is amazing how quickly all of you jumped on this and are willing to do whatever it takes to make this girls wishes come true. Thank you for showing me what a wonderful group I am becoming a part of. You guys rock!

This should be a snap to pull off. Get the RD to sign off on the waiver, and have the RD contact the BOD members to vote on this ASAP (waiting until the Feb meeting is not an option). Find a DZ and TI willing to do the jump, and it shouldn't take more than one phone call to the manufacturer to get their permission.

The whole point of tandems needing to be 18 is the legal liability. It's got nothing to do with the mechanics of the jump or the gear, it's just that nobody wants to get sued. In these types of cases, a lawsuit isn't a real problem.

Beyond that, the DZ, pilot, TI, video guy and packer should all be willing to do the jump for free. I've shot video for a couple of these 'make a wish' jumps, and would never dream of taking a dime for any of it. If some sick kid's dying wish is to do what I get to do every weekend, it's my honor to be able to share that with them.

Who is the RD for Oregon?

I've emailed Skydive Oregon, as that seems to be the closest DZ to Natalie, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any connections there?

As for the DZ doing it for free, sure that'd be nice, but we don't know the financial situation of every DZ, so that shouldn't be assumed. It'd be wonderful if they agree to get her in the air at all, so that's what we should ask for, and if they want to do more, that needs to come from them. I'm sure we can get enough donations to get the cost covered.

Is Kapowsin jumping right now or are they down for winter? Skydive Oregon is still running til the end of December on good weather days, according to their website.

Worst case, maybe we can get her down to Perris or Snore or one of the Bay Area dropzones if weather becomes an issue up north.

As for the DZ doing it for free, sure that'd be nice, but we don't know the financial situation of every DZ,

Granted, but if you figure that the TI, packer, video guy, and pilot will work for free, the only remaining cost is the plane and wear/tear on the rig. You're looking at $75 for a 1/2 hour in a 182, and $15/$20 for the rig, so under $100. Maybe hit the TI and video up to cover their own slot, and they're in for $20/head, and the DZ only has to cough up $60.

Let's face it, all involved are 'professionals' and make money jumping out of planes. Footing the bill for a jump of this nature is the least they could do.

That aside, if the DZ/employees won't ptich in, anyone one who wants to donate can PM me for my paypal address, and I'm sure we can whip up the $300 to cover a tandem with video. Let's find out for sure that we need to raise the dough, and how much, before anyone sends any money so I don't have to deal with a bunch of refunds and the like if it turns out we don't need anything.

As for the DZ doing it for free, sure that'd be nice, but we don't know the financial situation of every DZ,

Granted, but if you figure that the TI, packer, video guy, and pilot will work for free, the only remaining cost is the plane and wear/tear on the rig. You're looking at $75 for a 1/2 hour in a 182, and $15/$20 for the rig, so under $100. Maybe hit the TI and video up to cover their own slot, and they're in for $20/head, and the DZ only has to cough up $60.

Let's face it, all involved are 'professionals' and make money jumping out of planes. Footing the bill for a jump of this nature is the least they could do.

That aside, if the DZ/employees won't ptich in, anyone one who wants to donate can PM me for my paypal address, and I'm sure we can whip up the $300 to cover a tandem with video. Let's find out for sure that we need to raise the dough, and how much, before anyone sends any money so I don't have to deal with a bunch of refunds and the like if it turns out we don't need anything.

Natalie has a bucket list fund. If the money's not used for a jump, she can use it for something else. The info is on her website above.

She also has a wish to visit LA. Perhaps she would like to combine a visit to Los Angeles with a jump at one of our local dropzones. I will email them and see if it's possible.

Natalie has a bucket list fund. If the money's not used for a jump, she can use it for something else. The info is on her website above.

And so it is. I just made a donation through paypal, and it was a snap, 3 clicks and it was done. They also take credit cards if you don't have paypal account.

I did attach a note that the money was for skydiving, and that she should get video/pictures and post them here after her jump.