tdog

No more cramming in "aging otters"

flaperon

I wonder how much that STC cost to develop as well as how much it costs, to buy.

Very interesting...:)

Oh... a G550 would not be a reasonable investment for a DZ. They live somewhere in the 30-40 million range with Twotters being more in the 1.5 million range.

Its a good concept but... why?
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I was wondering the cost of the STC, not the aircraft. As to "why", the answer may lie in there somewhere. If someone can get such an STC for the cost of an hour's flight time, perhaps it's for advertising or something. It is indeed an odd one...

DrDom

***I wonder how much that STC cost to develop as well as how much it costs, to buy.

Oh... a G550 would not be a reasonable investment for a DZ. They live somewhere in the 30-40 million range with Twotters being more in the 1.5 million range.

Its a good concept but... why?

I have zero desire to jump out of any airplane upwind of the engine or propellor.

The angle of the picture makes it difficult to see exactly, but it doesn't look forward of the nacelle, but just underneath. Still, it would make me very uncomfortable. But damn, that's a small door! Doing tandems out of it might be tricky :-P
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

flaperon

I was wondering the cost of the STC, not the aircraft.

How much do manuals cost?

The STC requires no changes to the aircraft and consists of copyrighted AFM supplements.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

DrDom

***I wonder how much that STC cost to develop as well as how much it costs, to buy.

Oh... a G550 would not be a reasonable investment for a DZ. They live somewhere in the 30-40 million range

But if you steal it borrow it, it's for free...:):):)

Cool idea, but I've having trouble seeing the actual purpose.

The door (as pictured) isn't really big enough for any sort of real jumping or delivering any significant cargo.

As for the airframe, it's a newer, top-dollar model. I could see if it was an older airframe, that relief organizations could get on the cheap, and then use the range of a jet to drop supplies in far away planes, but a G550?

Any chance the guy who holds the STC happens to be a G550 owner with money for 10 G550's, who just wanted to jump out of his own plane? That's an expensive jump ticket for sure.

arm900fj

The military operates G-550 for special missions (CIA) and VIP services.

Correct. If I had to guess, this is probably targeted towards civilian defense contractors operating "civilian" airplanes- not sport skydiving.

On most "normal" aircraft, what you'd be exiting out of is the baggage compartment (which is also accessible from the cabin).

It'd make a hell of a specialty aircraft at a boogie though! B|

The cost of acquiring the STC is passed on with the paperwork to make it legal so...two pieces of paper might cost $10K.

cpoxon

***I was wondering the cost of the STC, not the aircraft.

How much do manuals cost?

The STC requires no changes to the aircraft and consists of copyrighted AFM supplements.

>Oh... a G550 would not be a reasonable investment for a DZ. They live somewhere in
>the 30-40 million range with Twotters being more in the 1.5 million range.

>Its a good concept but... why?

For people like us! Our company has a G550, and it would be so much easier to just drop me off on the way.

billvon

>Oh... a G550 would not be a reasonable investment for a DZ. They live somewhere in
>the 30-40 million range with Twotters being more in the 1.5 million range.

>Its a good concept but... why?

For people like us! Our company has a G550, and it would be so much easier to just drop me off on the way.

Damm you 1%er!

Oops... Wrong forum! ;-)
Remster

This does solve a few issues for contractors and special needs groups that need to do small cargo drops with extended ranges in a fast time frame. The ability to toss out radio beacons, life rafts and other small cargo has typically been limited to either near shore operations or by military aircraft only since they can refuel in air but the GV has a range of over 6600 miles so it provides a really long distance option that can get onsite much faster than a C130 that has a range of 2300 miles with out refueling.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone

This does solve a few issues for contractors and special needs groups that need to do small cargo drops with extended ranges in a fast time frame. The ability to toss out radio beacons, life rafts and other small cargo has typically been limited to either near shore operations or by military aircraft only since they can refuel in air but the GV has a range of over 6600 miles so it provides a really long distance option that can get onsite much faster than a C130 that has a range of 2300 miles with out refueling.

.................................................................................
Better range than a CF-18 fighter jet with a SKAD (Survival Kit Air-Dropable).

arm900fj

The military operates G-550 for special missions (CIA) and VIP services.

..................................................................................

Why is this reminding me of a Boeing 707 - operated by the Argentine Air Force - during the "dirty war?"
People - who made sarcastic comments about the ruling military junta - went on one-flights out over the Atlantic Ocean.

PhreeZone

I could see a use like that, but not for pleasure skydiving..
You are not the contents of your wallet.