ntrprnr

Any skydiving in Queensland, Australia?

Hey guys... Went to the dropzone section, but have no idea about the geography of Australia - Any skydiving operations for fun jumpers in Queensland, Australia?

Thanks!

Australian Parachute Federation List of Queensland Drop Zones

Always a good idea to check out national federation web sites for drop zone locations first.

Ramblers tends to have the biggest capacity and widest variety of activities for sports jumpers.

:)

OR

http://www.apf.asn.au/apf-dz-qld.html
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Hey guys... Went to the dropzone section, but have no idea about the geography of Australia - Any skydiving operations for fun jumpers in Queensland, Australia?

Heaps. Queensland is a big place though, can you be a bit more specific? Off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 dropzones within 2 hours of Brisbane, not including tandem-only operations.

Hey Peter, we went to Ramblers when we were out in Australia last. Unfortunately it was really windy and cloudy so we didn't really feel up to jumping at a new dz in those conditions. It was a really cool dz & they made us feel really welcome including making fun of us when we didn't want to jump, you know, like a normal dz. It's a bit of a drive but it'd be the top of my list if Ke & I go back to AU and take our gear again.

http://www.ramblers.com.au/about/toogoolawah.aspx

Toogoolawah, aka Ramblers, is the dz to go to in QLD. I've only been there for boogies but they have events quite often. If you want to stay on the dz, their facilities are top rate as dzs go. If not, and you don't want to drive all the way back to Brisbane, I recommend Esk (10 min drive) over Toogoolawah.

I love this dz. I wish I could go back. Email me if you want more info. Also, check out the Aussie forum for more info.

There are a number of very good drop zones in Queensland - and those who have chirped in so far have given good recommendations.

Take care, though - Queensland is a very big state. If you are from the US, you have no idea what big means. Here in Australia we do things BIG. Queensland has an area of around 656,000 square miles (1,727,000 sq kms). By way of comparison, folks from the US boast of how big Texas is. Well, it's around 267,000 sq miles - tiny by comparison.

The point of my story is that you shouldn't assume you can make a quick drive to all drop zones in Queensland. You need to know where you'll be based or staying at. If you are in Brisbane, then Ramblers is a short couple hour drive. If you are in Cairns, you'll need a couple of days to drive there.

Wherever you end up - you'll have a ball.

Enjoy, fergs;)

are there any twin otters or skyvans in queensland? How many people can the Ramblers Caravan hold? I only ever been in a caravan where it couldnt have held more then 10 skydivers, its not the same as 20+ people in a twin otter.. more of a rush.

chemist

are there any twin otters or skyvans in queensland? How many people can the Ramblers Caravan hold? I only ever been in a caravan where it couldnt have held more then 10 skydivers, its not the same as 20+ people in a twin otter.. more of a rush.

What was wrong with the Caravan, they hold 16 - 18 people normally.

There are no DZs running Twotter or skyvans anymore.
The last of both of those were at Sydney skydivers. They sold thier Skyvan to Israel. Everyone runs Caravans, PACs or Cessna 182s, with a few G8 Airvans and a Beaver.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I thought maybe there were several versions of the Caravan in slightly different sizes. It probably was a 16-18 seater just didn't seem like it

I'm moving down under in January, I'm going to miss Otters. Oh well. Which skydive ramblers is the best to skydive at? I saw there are like 3 locations, is the sunshine coast a regular busy DZ with funjumpers/caravan or is it like a novelty beach jump tandem mill? Is the beach the regular landing area or what?? Thanks

Squeak

***are there any twin otters or skyvans in queensland? How many people can the Ramblers Caravan hold? I only ever been in a caravan where it couldnt have held more then 10 skydivers, its not the same as 20+ people in a twin otter.. more of a rush.

What was wrong with the Caravan, they hold 16 - 18 people normally.

There are no DZs running Twotter or skyvans anymore.
The last of both of those were at Sydney skydivers. They sold thier Skyvan to Israel. Everyone runs Caravans, PACs or Cessna 182s, with a few G8 Airvans and a Beaver.

Also a 206 at Torquay and a Cressco can sometimes be found at Barwon.
cavete terrae.

I'm doing my static line progression at Ramblers (Toogoolawah) currently. It's about 1 hour 15 minutes from the Brisbane CBD, and they have a big focus on fun jumpers and students. Most tandems go down to Byron Bay or up to Coolum.

A full load on the Caravan is 17 jumpers from memory. Ramblers usually jump throughout the week, but it is best to call in advance to let them know you're coming. They can advise on weather forecasts and let you know if there will be others jumping too. I know that last week there were full loads going up during the week, but a few weeks before that there weren't enough people to jump.

If you do head out to Ramblers drop me a line!

JerryBaumchen

Hi Squeak,

and a Beaver.

I was down there in 1990 and did some jumps out of a Beaver with a turbine engine & elongated fuselage; it would hold 10 jumpers.

Is it still around? That was a fun ship to jump from; even got myself on national tv. :P

JerryBaumchen

Yup Jerry it's the same plane, strill going strong.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

in reply to "Went to the dropzone section, but have no idea about the geography of Australia - Any skydiving operations for fun jumpers in Queensland, Australia?"

Australia's a big yawn for midweek fun jumping unless ur a tandem passenger.

Can recommend the Rambler learning curves , mini boogies run several times a year