tdog

Should the USPA also post record jumps with the highest count of local jumpers?

shropshire

Football teams are a classic mix of folks from all of the country .. or even world these days

Sort of like the "American" team in the America's Cup, eh?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I thought it could be cool to promote events/records where those people would be encouraged to join.

The way to do that really is among the local DZ's, and to have a boogie that promotes that kind of thing. Then you can have a boogie-end bigway that actively includes those people.

The first year of Jump for the Rose, we had the bigway attempts, with the women who weren't quite ready being coached on smaller-ways the whole weekend; by the end of the weekend, we were able to include all of the women who traveled to the event, and build a successful star that included all of them.

It's one of my all-time favorite events in skydiving. The vibes were unbelievable.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

On a completely separate note, the all-in-state record is exactly why we have T-shirts :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

airtwardo

It also provides an avenue to bring cash into DZs...

Nailed it! ;)

Actually since you are right, I want to point out two things:

1) In my idea - the official state record would still be the largest group - and out of towners would still bring money in.

2) But, the same DZ could also benifit from a 2nd organized event, "the locals boogie" where their existing fun jumpers would have "something fun to do" to spend their money.

tdog

It also provides an avenue to bring cash into DZs...

Nailed it! ;)

Actually since you are right, I want to point out two things:

1) In my idea - the official state record would still be the largest group - and out of towners would still bring money in.

2) But, the same DZ could also benifit from a 2nd organized event, "the locals boogie" where their existing fun jumpers would have "something fun to do" to spend their money.

And I've actually BEEN on a few of those last second locals only dives...cool enough, but I wouldn't expect USPA to make a 'special' attaboy for 'em.
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

few of those last second locals only dives...cool enough, but I wouldn't expect USPA to make a 'special' attaboy for 'em.

Who said anything about last second? I am talking about advertising to all the instate jumpers (and out of state if you read how I formatted it), motivating and training, doing practice jumps, getting organizers, coaches, sector captains, etc... And getting a legitimately hard to earn record... And out of state folks would be invited too, as my initial proposal would not require locals only or a certain %...

It could promote honest friendly competition. Hey Florida, try to beat this!

Anyway - the idea flopped big time... I am wondering if the timing is so close to the "bones incident" that the question is getting tainted, and considering 3 people voted in 30 seconds, I know people have not read the proposal before voting. But never the less, it is a bad idea, as voted on. It was just an idea. I admit defeat.

If you want the state record to be full of state jumpers, organise a record full of people from that state. If they're good enough, they'll get it. Job done.

If not, well, better work a bit harder then.

This.

Since when does someone need outside validation in the form of a piece of paper to set goals and strive to get better?

Who cares if out of towners set your state record that is way outside your skill level? What's your personal best? What is your local regular bigway best? Strive to beat that. Look to yourself and your regular jump buddies for validation and achievement, not a piece of paper and a short paragraph in Parachutist.

The thing about this sport is that there is ALWAYS someone with more time, more opportunity, more money, or less life responsibility than you. That competitive disadvantage is a fact of life on the dz or off.

Rather than try to find ways to make them ineligible to compete, keep building yourself up. It might take you ten times longer but if you keep making incremental progress eventually you'll be at the level where you can face off with them straight up.

Sweet! Pat on the back to you tdog! I think I have the state record for the best squat-flying on my first attempt at a sit fly. Do I get a t-shirt too?

Let's make skydiving records just like the public school system.
NOBODY can be a loser... EVERYONE has to be a winner!

Great way to raise a bunch of pussies.

I think it's because you haven't whined and complained enough about the oversight. You are obviously due some recognition. Hell, you might even be due for a certificate AND a t-shirt!

Head on over to the Longmont thread and I'm sure you could learn a thing or two from a certain Longmont resident about making yourself heard. :P:P

tdog

I am talking about advertising to all the instate jumpers (and out of state if you read how I formatted it), motivating and training, doing practice jumps, getting organizers, coaches, sector captains, etc... And getting a legitimately hard to earn record... And out of state folks would be invited too, as my initial proposal would not require locals only or a certain %...

All of that is awesome. None of that needs to involve the USPA or 'offical State records'. Create a Godfrog-type trophy, normalise the numbers needed to win based on the number of active jumpers in each State and make it an SCR/SCS-style thing. It becomes a rite of passage to have been involved, but not something where you have to be trying out for Airspeed to participate. Give 100-500-jump folk a target to aim at, and give the 10+ year veterans a reason to keep current and keep jumping.

That'd be doing a huge service to skydiving, to the skill-level of the jumpers, and it'd help out the dropzones too.

Off ya go :P.

bob.dino

***I am talking about advertising to all the instate jumpers (and out of state if you read how I formatted it), motivating and training, doing practice jumps, getting organizers, coaches, sector captains, etc... And getting a legitimately hard to earn record... And out of state folks would be invited too, as my initial proposal would not require locals only or a certain %...

All of that is awesome. None of that needs to involve the USPA or 'offical State records'. Create a Godfrog-type trophy, normalise the numbers needed to win based on the number of active jumpers in each State and make it an SCR/SCS-style thing. It becomes a rite of passage to have been involved, but not something where you have to be trying out for Airspeed to participate. Give 100-500-jump folk a target to aim at, and give the 10+ year veterans a reason to keep current and keep jumping.

That'd be doing a huge service to skydiving, to the skill-level of the jumpers, and it'd help out the dropzones too.

Off ya go :P.

Who the heck put a nickel in YOU?! :P

I haven't seen ya post this much in YEARS! :ph34r:

Glad to see the input BTW!! B|

Is there any kind of team competition in the USA based on region of residence/origin/home DZ? For example, a national contest with Team California vs. Team Midwest vs. Team Northeast vs. Team Florida vs. Team Southwest, etc.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

Is there any kind of team competition in the USA based on region of residence/origin/home DZ? For example, a national contest with Team California vs. Team Midwest vs. Team Northeast vs. Team Florida vs. Team Southwest, etc.

Not really, unless you look at the various regional leagues sponsored by the National Skydiving League (which include both skydiving and tunnel comps). But though the comps are held in particular regions, there's absolutely no requirement that the participants reside in that region.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

In Australia when you get your APF membership you have to nominate a dz that you are affiliated with.
State records require that you have %75 jumpers that are affiliated with a dz in that state.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

hcsvader

In Australia when you get your APF membership you have to nominate a dz that you are affiliated with.
State records require that you have %75 jumpers that are affiliated with a dz in that state.

....and how MANY states are in the land down under? ;)

airtwardo

***In Australia when you get your APF membership you have to nominate a dz that you are affiliated with.

Yeah, people aren't frequently crossing state lines to jump at different DZs here, it's completely different.
cavete terrae.

When I started jumping, I was a legal resident of Iowa (based on my driver license), living at my school dorm in South Dakota (south dakota plates on the car), and was driving across the border into Minnesota to jump. The diameter of the circle that covered all three addresses would have been substantially smaller than 100mi. Which state record would I be considered "local" to?
cavete terrae.

grue

When I started jumping, I was a legal resident of Iowa (based on my driver license), living at my school dorm in South Dakota (south dakota plates on the car), and was driving across the border into Minnesota to jump. The diameter of the circle that covered all three addresses would have been substantially smaller than 100mi. Which state record would I be considered "local" to?

Nebraska.

airtwardo

***In Australia when you get your APF membership you have to nominate a dz that you are affiliated with.

1. Sober.
2. Not Sober.
:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airtwardo

the reason we attribute clubs to our memberships is for funding and voting purposes.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?