GAjumper84

IAD 5 second delay

Hey everyone!

I've gotten some great advice on here so far, so I figured I would try to pick your brains again :P Got my first real freefall coming up in the morning, wanted to see if anyone had any advice on it. So far I did my first clear and pull, but I did it so fast that I wasn't completely off "the hill". When freefalling starts to flatten out belly to earth, is there any concern I should have about being stable other than just hold the arch? As in if I start to feel unstable is there any quick trick to regain stability? Any tips on methods to help ensure a steady 5 second count? I am probably just being overly cautious, as my instuctors have told me I have a great arch right off the strut, but if I didn't attempt to harness any knowledge I could to get this right I would be kicking myself if I didn't get it right. Thanks for any advice!

Agrees; Look up (watch the plane), breathe and pull.

You might 'time' how quickly you can count to 10, since you will instinctively count fast tomorrow.
Skydiving is muscle memory; including the count, reach and throw.

Believe in yourself and your training. You've got this.
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

I definately listen to my instructors, but during my dummy throws I had an issue finding the handle. I posted on here, someone told me a great trick to make sure you get it. Worked perfectly, and my instructors never thought of telling me any more than just reach back there and grab it. I realize you can get conflicting advice, and I will always go with what my instructors say on specific direction, but there is a place from learning from others as well. Thanks for the response though, as it stands as a reminder to always follow your instructors directions, and don't follow advice on the internet blindly.

Thanks! I definately feel confident, just slightly paranoid since three weeks ago I had to redo a level. You only get one shot, and I wanted to try to use every tool I have available to make sure I make the best of it. I'm just excited to be able to jump again! This is so much fun! Every time I do it I only find that I enjoy it more.

On the 5 second delay there is a good chance you will still be on the hill and not completely belly to earth.

Something I did on my 5 second is when I pulled I dearched anticipateing the opening of the chute. Because with the iad's I would no more than get the dummy handle and the harness was pulling from the chute opening. When you pull yourself there is the delay of the chute. So remember after you pull to keep that arch.

GAjumper84

Thanks for the advice everyone! 5 second went perfect, then did the next two levels, a 10 and a 20 second. Next jump will be attempting some turns in freefall. Had a blast as usual, and starting to get to know some great people at the DZ.

It sounds like you are making good progress. I know AFF is popular but there is just something very attractive to me about learning it on your own.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”