AZskies

Turbo ZPO 150 vs. Sabre 1 150 which would you rather have

Strong had the "Z-po".
ParaFlite had the "Turbo Z".

To oversimplify slightly, just about any zero-p 9-cell canopy in those days was like a Sabre... although not a literal direct copy.

You'd have to see how each opens and flies. My guess would still be to go for the Sabre if you expect to sell it again, as they are still known in the industry (and still kicking around DZ's) while the others are pretty much forgotten.

Here is my honest opinion, i have never jumped a zpo so won't comment on that but, why not save a couple of hundred extra bucks and get something more modern... There is absolutely no need to buy a sabre 1 any more, they open like shit unless you do some mods, even then there are still much nicer opening, much nicer flying canopies out there...

Too many people buy sabre 1's because they are cheap then post up on forums like this asking for help with their openings... they are cheap for a reason.

Save your back and neck. Wait a little bit to save some more money then Look for a safire 1 or 2 or a sabre 2 etc!!!

There is absolutely no need to buy a sabre 1 any more

Really?

The Sabre is a good canopy. It does have a bad rap for brutal openings, the same way the Stiletto got a bad rap for spins: they both were the ONLY game in town at that time, and no one know how important clean packing and opening sequences were important.

If you don't want that Sabre 150, I'll take it for my backup / bigway rig! :)
Remster

Yes really. There are much better options out there for not much more money. The op wanted peoples opinions, i gave mine, sabre 1's open like crap, have very average to less than average flight characteristics by today's standards and with all the other options out there there there is no need to buy them anymore.

I can understand for a backup rig that you won't use very often but if its a backup rig chances are you will be using a packer....B| Its your neck at the end of the day.

agree... with all the modern choices out there, why risk being spanked by an old canopy in order to save a few bucks?

With all the old Stilettos floating around I'd feel much more secure with one of those in a backup rig if I wanted to pick up something on the cheap.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Without taking prices in to account (the op has not told the price, so one can't take them in to account), a sabre 1 150 is a nice canopy. I have one and love it. One just has to pay attention to wear and tear and your packjob to avoid those slammers. I have not had one yet (at least not harder or more frequent then on other canopies).

I cant say that about the Turbo Zpo since I have never jumped it.

More general: Im happy to save some bucks on the latest gear and packers (IMO packers are for teams, pro's and rich people), to have a bit more money for jumps... It sounds like the OP might also be limited in their monetary resources...
Parachute gear garage sale at :http://www.usedparachutes.eu

Here is my honest opinion, i have never jumped a zpo so won't comment on that but, why not save a couple of hundred extra bucks and get something more modern... There is absolutely no need to buy a sabre 1 any more, they open like shit unless you do some mods, even then there are still much nicer opening, much nicer flying canopies out there...

Have you ever jumped a Sabre I with Technora lines, A H-Mod, and/or a domed slider??

I work on a lot of modern day canopies everyday and also test jump some of them before they are shipped back to the customer. This allows me to jump a very wide variety of canopies.

With that said, I find the Sabre I (with the above mods) a great canopy all the way around. The H-mod adds a higher inflated pressure which makes the canopy more rigid and just simply flies better than a canopy without the H-Mod.

The Technora lines makes the openings smooth and predictable.

If you already have a Sabre I or get one at a really cheap price, then it could be beneficial to add the mods and have a great canopy.

Otherwise, they need to get something like you said; something more modern.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Either is serviceable. If you can get them to demo, there's nothing more you can learn from the internet.

Otherwise, I personally wouldn't go with the Sabre because there's just too much history of sloppy packing turning into a real spanker of an opening. However, I'm a packer and pack plenty of S-1's and haven't broken anyone yet, although I've given a brisk opening or two.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher